Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
10 pages, at least.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Never raced with SCCA but have spectated. Most every race I've seen has had contact of sorts.

Have not raced nor seen a NASA race but have heard good reviews.

PBOC, have raced many times with very good camaraderie. Problem is (if I must find one) that we all run together in one race group.

PCA, have not raced but from what I've seen there is too much contact for my tolerance levels plus they don't have a good group for my car.

HSR, race with them all the time. Great group, very organized, smart racers who are very conscious of the value of limbs and cars. Great venues and its a heck of a lot of fun to race and then hang around staring at the cars....
Old 12-29-2007, 11:08 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

I have done both .The NASA folks are very welcoming and are in the infancy stages or there racing program on the east coast. I believe Nasa is the wave of the future. A modified 13/13 is a good thing and you get to race for something .I am planning on doing 3-4 NASAA races this year and I believe some guys named Jeff , Geoffrey and maybe someone they call Bob may join the fray. Pca is great but ,come on a little something would be nice !! Lets do something for points or class title for the regions and a run off ?Could be voluntary ? Everyone does it for fun, but those stupid blue ribbons from the 1990's I sure am proud of .
I belive this is why Nasa will become so popular .
mY O2.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:40 PM
84-944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only spectated at SCCA races, too much allowable contact for my taste and our cars (944's) don't class competitively either.

PCA holds a place in my heart because it's where it all started for me, racing is good, fields are full and you can cover the top 4-6 drivers with a dime in our class. They are a bit stiff though and don't dare let a paint fleck from someone elses headlamp bucket chip the paint on your your nose 'cause someone's going home with a 13/13! Period.

NASA's terrific through and through, laid back but on time. Good camaroderie, good racing and our classes fill up well with stiff competition. A rub of paint won't have you lifting unecessarily for 13 months so as to not be banned for the next 13. I've seen little or no contact car to car on track during NASA weekends. NASA also runs 2 weekends at many tracks including here at Road Atlanta with at least two races per weekend. Let's face it, racin aint cheap so the more I can get in during any one race weekend is great with me and most of my friend/competitors.

Hopefully I won't get a 13/13 for the "flec of paint" crack.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:37 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
My impression is that there is way more contact in SCCA. I watched all the runoffs on Speed, and my lord those guys just couldn't figure out how to give each other racing room. And I'm not talking about pro level "rubbing" but just turning into a guy when he is clearly alongside or bashing into someone to move them out of the way. And it wasn't just the spec miatas, but every class from G prod to SSB to the formula cars.

From what I have heard, NASA is a pretty good group. One downside is that you'll have fewer cars in your GTS class than in the old PCA E/new F. But it would be fun to race against the non-Porsches. I will probably do 1-2 GTS races this year, assuming I can find the time!

PCA runs great races, and will always be my first choice. I think the driving level is quite good (I've looked at the mylaps times from NASA GTS races, and the fields do not seem that deep) and the respect for other people's cars is very high. Yes there are crashes, but car to car contact is pretty rare. There is also great camaraderie with all the people in your class.
great answer, spot on and my impression as well.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:26 AM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I been racing with SCCA for four years and I think I can speak by experience. It is hardcore racing but also it is clean and fun for the most part. It is far, far more competitive that anything in PCA or NASA. Here in the NE region it is not unusual to have over 25 cars in a one class and more that 40 in a single race group. When you have this many cars compering in the same class, some contact is bound to happen. But again is not all that common an it is mostly minor. If you want to master the craft of racing, SCCA is the place.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:40 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

I think it depends on the region and the class you run in. Out west here, i have never seen such well behaved agressive racing When i ran with POC or PCA as well as NASA, there was always much more contact, more full course yellows and quite a few cars destroyed . With SCCA, ive raced now with them for over 6 seasons and have only seen a few accidents, most minor. There will always be accidents in racing but the way SCCA ITE runs, for example, the theme is that contact is not good. (not acceptable driving behavior) . Most of the drivers get this, and I feel pretty safe out there. (even with our very large fields , sometimes in excess of 50 cars) Part of the reason is the frequency of our racing, along with the familar drivers in field. I think NASA GTS/PRC is like this now, as they were getting that way before i started running more of the SCCA races.

mk
Old 12-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 84-944
PCA holds a place in my heart because it's where it all started for me, racing is good, fields are full and you can cover the top 4-6 drivers with a dime in our class. They are a bit stiff though and don't dare let a paint fleck from someone elses headlamp bucket chip the paint on your your nose 'cause someone's going home with a 13/13! Period.
Only if you are caught. This was my first season racing and I already saw a few examples where there was car to car contact (very minor) and the drivers involved were not penalized.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone who wants to race with NASA thinking they have a 13/13 rule akin to PCA, should read the rules of the class they intend to run with. AFAIK, in the East, only 44cup, Spec 30, and GTS have modified 13/13 rule. Modified 13/13 consideres incidental contact as racing incidence and that is open to interpretation. If you are racing with any other class (which happens often) and there is contact with a car from a class that does not have 13/13 rule, then no 13/13 applies and you have to go by the NASA contact rules which is interpreted by the NASA scrut. The back of NASA GCR gives some examples of what racing room is. I wish PCA would do that. It takes some of the mistery out. In my limited racing, I find that I am more timid racing in PCA because I always want to leave room for myself to back out. IMO, this rewards the guys that think blocking or chopping is racing.

Anyway, it would be interesting to compare notes on this question from NASA or SCCA forum. I have watched a lot of SCCA MARRS races at SP and I rarely see major contact. Most guys want to win and you have to finish to win and experienced racers know that making contact typically reduces your chances of finishing.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:22 AM
mjensen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently hold race licences with NASA, SCCA, NASA and Midwestern Council, Running a SM and a 951. I enjoy racing with all of the clubs, but cannot give the 13/13 it fair shake. I was hit in a qualifiing session in my 951(in '06), the SM was "at fault", never reported to the director and nothing ever came of it because the SM does not run with a 13/13. I feel you should pick your club by your car, your racetracks and your personal goals. The clubs are all good, just different. FWIW, the SCCA runnoffs appeared to have way more contact than neccessary...
Old 12-30-2007, 10:28 AM
krC2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also the number of races for people in our area it's a huge difference
with SCCA you could do about 15 races between NHIS, LRP and WGI only and more then 20 if you add Pocono, Thunderbolt/Lightning.

with PCA and NASA combined the number is much less
Old 12-30-2007, 11:44 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree w/almost everything posted.
I started in PCA racing. If you can follow their rules, you can follow anyone's! I agree they can be ****. I do like the idea of a 13/13. NASA's 13/13 is a joke IMHO. You drive into the side of someone's car and destroy it, you have to start at the back of the pack in the next race...wow...what a punishment! NASA is grass roots though so the racing's pretty incident free; mostly because everyone knows everyone else and doesn't want to tear their friend's cars up. I race NASA and love it. I've gone through entire NASA weekends and not seen a single incident, something I can't say for PCA. I think NASA's looking at their 13/13 and expect it to have more teeth in the future.
If you want seat time, go PCA or HSR. They have MUCH more seat time/weekend that NASA events. HSR will usually have 2-3 sprints and 1-2 enduros in a given w/e. With NASA: Saturday is practice, qualify, race. Sunday; qualify, then race. With some exceptions. NASA has DE and racing the same w/e so track time is low. May change as they grow.
So...In order of enjoyment for me? NASA, then PCA, then HSR. Be aware, the 3 are almost tied they are so close in fun factor.
From what I've seen/heard in SCCA, no thanks...BUT, I've never done SCCA so no actual experience to back that up.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:49 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Our NASA region,Ohio/Indiana, is wll developed and the racing is fun and professional. The quality of the Porshces in GTS Challenge rivals PCA events,plus you get to race against other German marques as well....M3 BMW's are very tough to compete with! Last season I raced 944 Cup in NASA as well and had a real blast....For my area, NASA is the way to go...We only have one PCA Club Race per season and SCCA is a demo derby.

Last edited by bgiere; 12-30-2007 at 12:50 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-30-2007, 12:56 PM
JWERION
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A majority of my experience is running in the GT2 class with SCCA, and I have run a few PCA events in GT3. I have seen much more contact at the PCA events than i have in my SCCA races. I have not been to the runoffs with SCCA and I agree that there seems to be alot of contact but I belive that it is mainly due to the nature of this specific event. I am planning to run mostly with NASA this year to see what they are all about and I agree based on what I hear and read about they may be the group to run with in the near future. The SCCA GT2 class is plagued with a not so porsche friendly rules package (unless you run a cup car) but it is getting better.
I really enjoy both groups of people but the PCA events are really the most fun for me but the SCCA events offer better racing.
My .02
Old 12-30-2007, 12:58 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

No SCCA experience. I like NASA and started doing them because PCA' 13/13 is crazy. At a PCA event I had an off in the rain and slid into a tire wall. Guess what? 13/13. I did not hit anyone else. In fact I was pushing alittle in qualifying becasue i had no one around me. My fault, my damage, why penalize me again? Rant off

I relay that because that was my impetus to start with NASA. I now like NASA for other reasons, one being the number of races closer to home.

Quick Reply: PCA, NASA, SCCA racing......