Sponsored by:

PCA, NASA, SCCA racing......

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, just sign up. The purpose of the comp school is to teach you about racing and to evaluate your skills. If you're ready, they'll give you a provisional license. No HPDE with NASA is required.

I contacted Joe Casella prior to signing up to discuss my background first.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:52 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Also, does any one know which GTS class would my '87 911 (PCA former E class) fall in?
Maybe I should ballast up the cup so we can run in the same class
Old 12-31-2007, 01:07 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Now that would be funny.....
Old 12-31-2007, 03:07 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be at the March VIR date in a miata running HPDE (testing a new car) and racing some buddies as well in the race group. Should be an awesome weekend!

Paolo, I would be more than happy to run 3 inches off your bumper for a few laps... if you can't shake me OR I give you the shakes (literally) you're not ready.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:25 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sean, I can just sign up for the comp school without any HPDE experience with them?
The way it was explained to me is that you can apply to comp school at any point and they have a choice whether or not to take you. It is recommended to be in HPDE3 or 4 before applying but not necessary especially if you have experience elsewhere.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Dump enough lead into her and you can run in GTS2 with us!

Paolo - speak with Joe Cassella at NASA NE, he is easy to communicate with and very accomodating..
Old 12-31-2007, 10:06 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Paolo, depending on what your dyno comes back as you might want to add ballast and run GTS 2. The GTS challenge series gives an advantage to the prepared cars in PCA. Since everything is free in GTS and the only thing that matters is WT/HP, the prepared cars with better gears, bigger brakes, better aero, etc. will have an advantage over cars running stock with PCA like mine and Gary's.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:28 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
An interesting thread. It all depends on your car/class, what you are looking for in terms of racing and paddock culture, and where you want to race. And also your preferred format. Out here in Norcal, it seems that SCCA events just have two runs a day for the group I'd be in. I prefer three.

My experience with PCA has been pretty good, but I'd have to say that I have witnessed a lot more wallet and ego racing in the PCA events I have attended than in our PRC events under NASA sanction. All of my PCA experience has been in "BIG" events at Sears Point or Laguna Seca, and those environments are probably unlike the norm. Lots of incidents in my experience at those events. The folks involved in administering the PCA program that I have come into contact with have been great. Unfortunately, we haven't had a PCA event close by since '04.

I have watched NASA progress through the years and know the owner. Our group, the Porsche Racing Club runs under NASA sanction, and we have a unique situation and culture. I am a little surprised that it has not yet been replicated by Porsche enthusiats in other parts of the country. We don't have a 13/13, we don't have to dyno cars, and we don't have a lot of incidents. The driving skill is pretty high on average, and we have some good, close racing. See article on our Spec 911 series in the latest Excellence.

The PRC is an all-Porsche group, and I prefer that type of arrangement having raced in mix groups in the past.

In the end, its all about your car and what you want, where you want to race, and who is doing what in your area.
Even though I'm pretty much on the sidelines now for wheel-to-wheel, what Mike (and Mark, too) says is spot for Northern California events. WAS there ever any comment/discussion on the Spec 911 Excellence article? I think Pete did a great job illustrating what the PRC guys have founded and nurtured.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Paolo, depending on what your dyno comes back as you might want to add ballast and run GTS 2. The GTS challenge series gives an advantage to the prepared cars in PCA. Since everything is free in GTS and the only thing that matters is WT/HP, the prepared cars with better gears, bigger brakes, better aero, etc. will have an advantage over cars running stock with PCA like mine and Gary's.
I'm thinking of adding 6000Lb to my 930 and running GTS2...
Old 01-01-2008, 12:47 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJR911
Paolo, I would be more than happy to run 3 inches off your bumper for a few laps... if you can't shake me OR I give you the shakes (literally) you're not ready.
I will chase you the first day while I learn the track........I will then lose you the second day or I am going home never to come back........

That is of course if I make it to VIR.......
Old 01-01-2008, 12:52 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Gary and Sean.....

What is the difference, GTS2 or GTS3...... I would be lucky enough to partecipate......

HAPPY 2008 TO YOU ALL........
Old 01-01-2008, 02:16 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run all three groups. Like TOO MANY of you, I too had heard bad things about SCCA but that didn't stop me from trying it. I ran 4-5 regional races this past year as well as two 12 hour races (Homestead and Summit Point), one thirteen hour (VIR), and one 24 hour race (Nelson Ledges) with SCCA this year. The most body repair I've had to do is replace two rear fiberglass bumpers. One was damaged by my co-driver spinning in the rain and the other was damaged at VIR by a BMW using it for brakes (twice). I run ITE (catch all class) in SCCA regional events and GT2 in National events. I run GT3s in PCA (now going to GT4s thanks to overdue PCA rule changes), and run GTS-4 in NASA.

I ran my first PCA race at Daytona in October and won the GT3s Enduro. Without a doubt there was more contact in that one PCA event than I saw in a year's worth of racing at SCCA. Some of you guys that are knocking the SCCA have probably never deigned to go to one of the races. At the 12 Hours at Summit Point, the race was run without one double yellow.....

It, along with NASA is really great racing and, in my limited exposure to PCA, just as safe if not safer. My PCA race was marred by a lot of guys in cup cars driving cars over their head but at the same time didn't want a scratch. That's not a great recipe to be mixed in with in my opinion. Some of the things I saw at Daytona bordered on dangerous stupidity.

If you're reading this and really race (aren't just giving us your opinions of what you've heard....) and haven't been to an SCCA event, you really should research your local region, find a race and go. Until you've been door to door in any organization's event, you shouldn't pass judgement. And always remember, just because some idiot hits you or does something stupid, it doesn't mean that it's because of the organization.

Racing aside, you can't beat PCA weekends for eye candy (car wise....) and raw competition. NASA is probably second best in terms of competition with SCCA coming in third unless you're doing the big endurance races. SCCA is way more grass roots, family oriented and you don't tend to see a lot of expensive cars, certainly not a lot of Porsches. However, the racing, officials, organization, etc. is GREAT.

Last edited by PedroNole; 01-02-2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Cooler head :)
Old 01-01-2008, 02:44 AM
OhioMark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA

I run a formula car with the SCCA and we avoid contact at all costs due to
someone going airborn if contact is made etc... That being said, I believe
the SCCA provides very skillful corner workers in proper numbers to cover
the entire track, and their insurance for drivers and others is the best around.
I hate the politics of the SCCA, but when I strap on my helmet, I know I have
help at the corner stations if necessary. Just an opinion from a tired driver
with too many beers still in him from tonight's New Year's Eve festivities.

Mark
Old 01-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Gary and Sean.....

What is the difference, GTS2 or GTS3...... I would be lucky enough to partecipate......

HAPPY 2008 TO YOU ALL........
Paolo
Spend some quality time on this page - all the answers can be found here:

http://www.gtschallenge.com/rules.htm
Old 01-01-2008, 11:02 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
It, along with NASA is far superior racing than what you will find in PCA. PCA is just a bunch of rich guys who can buy a car well beyond their capabilities of driving and who don't want a scratch. That's not racing my friends. Some of the things I saw at Daytona bordered on dangerous stupidity.
I think your impression of PCA may have been based on a really sparse field at Daytona. You ran 2.:08s at Daytona, which is an old D class time (stock Caymans & 993s). Had the big guns been at Daytona (instead of Rennsport), the top GT3S times would have been in the 2:03 range (that's what they were in 2006).

My personal take is that the racing in PCA vs. SCCA depends on the class. The top guys in the "tough" PCA classes like old F, GTC3 (and GTC1!) are just as good as the top guys in SCCA. Yes, there are some classes or races in PCA where in competition is light, but the same holds true in SCCA.

I do race, and have been to many SCCA races (mostly the regionals at Lime Rock , which I've been to for several years). I have a friend that runs Spec Miata, and he gets hit basically every race to some degree. I know the argument that "its a spec class, so contact will happen", but I also race in a spec class in PCA, and we had zero contact in the class (granted it is a much smaller class than SM/SSM). I think some SCCA classes (like the formula classes) do tend to have a ton of respect because of the consequences (though I spent some time at the Road America race talking to a formula racer about the fine art of "wheel chess" ).

Anyway, I think all the groups have pros & cons. I personally like a 13/13 rule, as it is a deterrent for making contact (and yes, I think single car incidents should be discouraged too). I think SCCA has the best low cost racing options, as well as some really cool formula & sports racers. NASA is an up an coming group with a recipe that's a blend of the two.

Quick Reply: PCA, NASA, SCCA racing......