Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 01:19 AM
angelo1404
Shamwow!
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet and Driving gear advice

Hello to All-

For DE events, which helmet style is better, full or open face? Why? Also, other than local requirements as to clothing, are driving suits, gloves, shoes, etc. the way to go, or just some jeans and a t-shirt?
Just wondering...
Old 12-28-2007, 07:52 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

I would seriously consider full face, simply more protection and gloves. At minimum I would wear 100% natural fiber clothes (unless fire rated) both long sleaves and long pants.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:20 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I suggest a full face helmet. Buy the latest track approved helmet, SA2005. At some point you may decide to try driving on the track and most clubs require full face helmets. Silly to have to buy another one.

Special clothing is not necessary. Gloves and driving shoes are helpful, not required. Of the two, I guess I like the shoes because of the improved pedal feel. No need to race suits.

Enjoy the slippery slop, you may be beginning to slide. :
Old 12-28-2007, 09:50 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Full face helmets seem to be the safest and if you decide to race, you will need one so might as well start off with one. Clothing should be natural fiber so jeans and t-shirt are fine. Some people like gloves but that is personal preference and are not required for DE. Gloves may help with the sweaty palms you are likely to have but reduce "feel". Shoes aren't really a must but I highly recommend them (or Puma's) because of the feel and since they are small, are less likely to catch on anything. Don't wear those thick soled Nike's.

The most important thing is to have fun, be safe and drink alot of water. And remember to have fun!
Old 12-28-2007, 09:52 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Hi Angelo, welcome to our little truely addicting hobby! Be sure you buy a SA 2005 rated helmet. This is an approved car helmet not a motorcycle helmet. Although a lot of clubs will allow a 2000 or newer rated motorcycle helmet but I would not buy one if I were you and planning to do DE's and Auto Crosses.

Also I highly suggest you were a pair of thin soled sneakers. Puma and Piloti make excelent shoes for driving. Baskestball and cross training thick sole shoes do not offer the pedal feel and the thick soles will get caught up moving between the pedals.

Wear comfortable clothing of all natural cotton fiber and that is really all you should do to start out with DE's.

Most important is to review your clubs DE section on there website. Study the flags and read about what an apex is and so forth. If you can down load a track map do that and see if any in car video is on your clubs site or on youtube.com so that you can get a little bit of a head start on the driving line of the track. Here is some info on DE's http://sfl.pca.org/drivers_ed.htm

Get a good nights rest, eat right and hydrate your self. Go into the DE with out an ego and with an open mind to learn the correct line around the track. Best of luck and report back here about your DE day!

see ya, Mike Carter
Old 12-28-2007, 09:47 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the open face but agree with all above advise, let me just add you are standing on a slippery slope. first the helmet, gloves, then bar, belts seats Hans. then car, tires rims brakes fluid, ............................................ But its way to much fun. I am grinding my teeth waiting for this Ohio Winter to blow out.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:45 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

The only thing I will add is if I am going to drive at 10/10ths and really push the car, I want full safety gear on. This includes fire protection. I see no need to avoid safety for the sake of appearances.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:33 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Driving shoes are nice, once you really need them (heel / toe). Until then, a pair of thin soled boat shoes, like Sperry Billfish, works just fine to give you enough "feel". Once I was in the intermediate run group, I had purchased a pair of nomex Pilotis - about $100.

Always wear natural fiber, long sleeves and pant legs. Do not show up with a racing suit - the few times a novice has, the reaction of the organizers and attendees was pretty clear. I have a suit because it was required for One Lap - I've been in the advanced (Black) group for a few years now and I still won't bring it to the track. Of the 100+ people at a DE, maybe 15 or 20 have suits and they are all racers / instructors. Best thing is to ask the registrar or other organizers. When I was starting out I asked about things like shoes, gloves, suit, helmet and was strongly advised to take it slow and never show up in a racing suit - sets the wrong tone with the instructors. Think about it - you are going to your 1st DE and you show up in a hot car with full gear. Your instructor is likely to ask for a new student By the time you are solo / advanced, then you make your own calls. There are plenty of guys that I run with in Black that wear suits - that they have already because they are club racers. If I wore mine, I'd fit right in.

Helmet choice - I suggest closed face for optimal protection, but by all means get one with a large opening. I have a Bell M2, which has a larger opening (intended for people with glasses - me). Also, consider that if you remove the visor, you are still at risk for debris and insects to get into your eyes. I remember more than once being on the track at 9-10/10ths and having something fly into the window, get past the helmet (visor removed for more air), past my glasses, and get into my eye. Another time I was flat at the apex of the uphill at Lime Rock and shooting pain started in my legs - all the way up and over the zero-g crest. I had to work through the pain and pit-in, to find 5 or 6 dead yellow jackets on the floor of my car (died after stinging me).

In general, I think that if you show up "humble" (jeans, long-sleeved cotton long-sleeved tee) and wow the instructors with your careful attitude and willingness to listen and learn - you will be well off. After a DE or two, start to add gloves and shoes. Ask how you can help - volunteer for pit in or out, tech, etc. Remember, the more you try to drive "fast" the slower and sloppier you are...
Old 12-30-2007, 10:31 PM
late apex
Instructor

Perhaps you need some cheap fire retardant coveralls if you have a carb car but not for a fuel injected car and not until you go solo, imho.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:44 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Stay away from the attention getting garb until you get really good.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:46 PM
late apex
Instructor

Old 12-31-2007, 03:27 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Get a helmet that fits. Fit is the most important feature of a helmet.

Bro

ETA: Make sure the helmet fits.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:53 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

My fuel injected GT3 caught fire when I crashed it!!! Didn't even get a chance to use my own fire extinguisher!!!!

As said above, start with natural fibers and then expand as you are able!..

I have a suit (bought used) gloves (Air Force/Police style Nomex), Full face helmet and drivers shoes.
It is all about safety! The time to plan for that is before you need it!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:04 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

In my 944 with open face helmet, I've had my glasses hit with rubber bits many times. My next helmet will have a visor.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:33 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not that I've exclusively gone to closed face (open face DE helmet when instructing), but I got educated back in the mid-'80's when we were on an open lapping day and a Trans Am car flicked up a rock that nearly hit my eye when he was going about 170, and I was at a "mere" 125 or so. (And in "Trans Am" I mean Bob Lobenberg's car that won the championship against Hobbs, Ribbs, Gloy, etc.)

Quick Reply: Helmet and Driving gear advice