Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet and Driving gear advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:03 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I was at Watkins Glen recently; a student spun and hit the wall; airbags deployed. The driver was 100% OK -- the instructor with an open-faced helmet got the airbag in his face and his sunglasses scraped his face; he needed stitches.

moral: get a full-faced helmet.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:24 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Any follow-up on the SCCA advisory back in 2005 regarding risk of neck/jaw injuries when using closed-face helmets in airbag-equipped cars? I ended up going with an open face helmet based on this advisory, but have not heard anything else regarding this issue for a long time.

From the SCCA Technical Services:

"It has been brought to the attention of SCCA Technical Services that the use of full-face or closed-face helmets while driving vehicles with active airbag restraint systems may result in injuries in the event of a crash that deploys the airbag. Because of the location of the steering wheel relative to the driver's position, the airbag axis is on a level with the driver's chin. In a crash with airbag deployment, contact with the chin area of a full face helmet can be so powerful "that the risk of fractures to the jaw cannot be ruled out" (Hubert Gramling, FIA Institute, FT3?AF, 18.5.1999). This applies to vehicles that may be used in Solo, RallyCross, High Performance Car Control Clinics, etc.

Therefore, it is highly recommended that full-face helmets not be used in vehicles with functional airbag systems. Potentially more restrictive language is currently being considered for 2005, which could appear in an early 2005 issue of FasTrack. If you have any questions, please contact the SCCA at 800.770.2055."

QUOTE/]
Old 01-02-2008, 04:45 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When the car in front of me burst into a HUGE ball of flame about 6 feet in diameter due to a fuel problem, (not a crash), I thought the driver would be dead. The car came to a halt but the driver did not even know the ball of flame had happened as it went away almost instantly. It sure scared me; and I bought a fire suit. to heck with what anyone thinks......if you have a good attitude as a student, your instructor will respect you.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:59 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hp18racer
In my 944 with open face helmet, I've had my glasses hit with rubber bits many times. My next helmet will have a visor.
I have had that happen to me 2-3 times as well. I now have full face with visor.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Any follow-up on the SCCA advisory back in 2005 regarding risk of neck/jaw injuries when using closed-face helmets in airbag-equipped cars? I ended up going with an open face helmet based on this advisory, but have not heard anything else regarding this issue for a long time.

From the SCCA Technical Services:

"It has been brought to the attention of SCCA Technical Services that the use of full-face or closed-face helmets while driving vehicles with active airbag restraint systems may result in injuries in the event of a crash that deploys the airbag. Because of the location of the steering wheel relative to the driver's position, the airbag axis is on a level with the driver's chin. In a crash with airbag deployment, contact with the chin area of a full face helmet can be so powerful "that the risk of fractures to the jaw cannot be ruled out" (Hubert Gramling, FIA Institute, FT3?AF, 18.5.1999). This applies to vehicles that may be used in Solo, RallyCross, High Performance Car Control Clinics, etc.

Therefore, it is highly recommended that full-face helmets not be used in vehicles with functional airbag systems. Potentially more restrictive language is currently being considered for 2005, which could appear in an early 2005 issue of FasTrack. If you have any questions, please contact the SCCA at 800.770.2055."

QUOTE/]
That whole SCCA advisory was a knee-jerk reaction. It was hastily retracted and nothing has been heard from since. IIRC the test was a unique situation that had to do with an airbag system in a formula car or something equally as odd.

I personally have seen no futher data to support the claims made in that article.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:15 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may not have the best chin but am attached to it so went with a full face helmet. It fits great and never given me reason to reconsider the decision.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:57 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get closed face... you will see more DEs require them very soon. shoes are great and gloves helpwith fatiuge... i always wore fire proof figured why not.....
Old 01-03-2008, 03:46 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by speedread
When the car in front of me burst into a HUGE ball of flame about 6 feet in diameter due to a fuel problem, (not a crash), I thought the driver would be dead. The car came to a halt but the driver did not even know the ball of flame had happened as it went away almost instantly. It sure scared me; and I bought a fire suit. to heck with what anyone thinks......if you have a good attitude as a student, your instructor will respect you.
+1 on safety over appearance. If the instructor has a problem with what you are wearing (fire suit, helmet, gloves, shoes) you probably don't want him/her for an instructor anyway. Attitude, respect, listening to and taking advice should shine through.

Bro
Old 02-19-2008, 03:57 PM
blueillusion97
Racer

Originally Posted by bruinbro
+1 on safety over appearance. If the instructor has a problem with what you are wearing (fire suit, helmet, gloves, shoes) you probably don't want him/her for an instructor anyway. Attitude, respect, listening to and taking advice should shine through.

Bro
+1 in my opinion race suits and so on are for safety not to show the level of still you have...
Old 02-19-2008, 04:11 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I popped a windshield racing last year (a baseball sized rock was trying to get inside my car) and there was a healthy qty of glass shards blowing around inside my car. I kept on racing but was pretty psyched I had a full face helmet. Last thing I want is to have to race with one eye closed because of glass in my eyes.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:28 PM
normank
Racer

Is everyone suggesting that the visor is down if you are driving in a closed car, i.e. coupe, sedan? I have never seen that.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:32 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by normank
Is everyone suggesting that the visor is down if you are driving in a closed car, i.e. coupe, sedan? I have never seen that.
I admit to having the visor removed in a full-face helmet with glasses (I wear them for vision). I falsely felt that between the windshield, the side protection from the helmet, and the glasses that I was "OK". Well, I've had bugs and track debris both find their way into my eyes.

That reminds me of the time I was flat from T1 through the Esses at Watkins Glen when spikes of pain started up and down my leg. Had to work through it as any shift there would mean you eat the beautiful blue Armco. When the session was over, I found 7 or 8 dead bees on the floor of my car - died after stinging me...

You never know what's going to find its way into your car... helmet...
Old 02-20-2008, 09:34 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by normank
Yes...
I run visor down during racing even if it is over 100F outside. You may be ok in a DE, but in a race group with all the sticky rubber out there I have been pelted in the eye hole 2-3 times using my hybrid Bell SR pro. This basicly is almost a full face since it has chin bar, but no visor and a large eye port. I wear glasses and the large eye port is important to getting my glasses on.

Once I replaced my old Bell SR-pro I went with a full face G-force with visor and run it visor down to ensure I don't get any more debris in the car. At most I will crack the lower portion of the visor open to get some airflow if needed. At worst I may open it when I am in a clear track, but all I need is one faster car passing me to want to put it back down. I just HATE the feeling of having rubber hit my fact at over 100 mph. Not a fun thing at all even if it misses my eyes.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:48 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

This is not acceptable
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Helmet and Driving gear advice