Silly Season in Formula 1 keeps going strong

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007 | 04:21 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geo
What I find very interesting is some BS being said by the Spanish FIA VP:

So what is this BS? Is it espionage or not? That is my question and always has been. Or is it only espionage when a McLaren employee has Ferrari documents.

I'm not exactly a rabid McLaren fan or Ron Dennis fan for that matter. I just think they got screwed this year because the Prancing ****** whined so damned much. I think (as I have said all along) that this sort of thing has always happened. Furthermore, there is ZERO evidence that the Ferrari documents were shared around the McLaren facilities, yet the McLaren documents have been freely shared at the Renault facilities and they have even admitted it. If Renault is not punished greatly, then F1 is pure and total BS. Personally I expect that Renault will barely get a slap on the hand and that F1 is total BS. Bernie and Max have to go.

In the end, Bernie and Max will want Alonso at Renault so Renault won't be punished.

I think the most interesting question this off-season is who will fill the remaining seat at McLaren? It damned sure isn't going to be Ralf. He has always sucked and not only does Ron know it, but so does Norbert. So, wild speculation aside, who do you think will fill the open seat at Big Mac?
Renault is playing poker with the FIA. They put the rumor out there that if they are punished like McLaren, they could walk. If Ferrari or McLaren said that, everyone knows they're not going anywhere. Renault is a different story. The FIA has to consider this. I believe they will get a fine significantly less than what McLaren got.
Old 11-26-2007 | 04:28 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Is that why Michael Schumacher just ran fastest in Jerez tests and won the Karting event in Brazil. Either you have it, either you don't. Michael and Alonso are people that will not lose much in a yr.
Raj
The difference is Michael is a special talent, no question. Aside from his unbelievable driving skills, he has always been the driver in the paddock in the best physical shape, always involved in the mechanical and technical details of the cars, one of the last drivers to race with no traction control, in a Ferrari that he probably has driven at Fiorano before his public testing at Jerez etc. etc. etc.

Sure Alonso could take a year off and come back, but there would be a learning curve to adapt to the lack of TC, new chassis, aero etc. A prime examine is Kimi. He DIDN'T take a year off, but it took him about 1/2 season to adapt to a new chassis, team, tires, aero.
Old 11-26-2007 | 04:34 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geo
...Furthermore, there is ZERO evidence that the Ferrari documents were shared around the McLaren facilities...
Accoring to FIA documents, DeLa Rosa, Alonso admited they discussed about the documents, settings & race strategies with McLaren engineers.

Originally Posted by Geo
...I think the most interesting question this off-season is who will fill the remaining seat at McLaren? It damned sure isn't going to be Ralf. He has always sucked and not only does Ron know it, but so does Norbert. So, wild speculation aside, who do you think will fill the open seat at Big Mac?
Only real choice seems to be Kovalainen. I believe he'd already have a contract with them if Flavio wasn't his manager. Flavio needs to wait Alonso's decision which mean he doesn't want Kovalainen to go anywhere before he knows for sure whether Alonso comes or not.

I've always wondered Flavio's position as a manager and team leader in a case such as this where he acts as both.
Old 11-26-2007 | 04:35 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by M3Pete
The difference is Michael is a special talent, no question. Aside from his unbelievable driving skills, he has always been the driver in the paddock in the best physical shape, always involved in the mechanical and technical details of the cars, one of the last drivers to race with no traction control, in a Ferrari that he probably has driven at Fiorano before his public testing at Jerez etc. etc. etc.
Very very true. It's no secret I don't care for Michael Schumacher. I think he's sleazy. BUT, all of the above that you said is true, and while I don't like him, I have to respect everything you just said.
Old 11-26-2007 | 04:36 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Renault is playing poker with the FIA. They put the rumor out there that if they are punished like McLaren, they could walk. If Ferrari or McLaren said that, everyone knows they're not going anywhere. Renault is a different story. The FIA has to consider this. I believe they will get a fine significantly less than what McLaren got.
Renault leaving is a very much a possible scenario. They almost left before this season and are not so F1 fanatics so if they are slapped with $100 million penalty, I have no doubt they'd leave or at least concider it strongly.
Old 11-26-2007 | 04:37 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Accoring to FIA documents, DeLa Rosa, Alonso admited they discussed about the documents, settings & race strategies with McLaren engineers.
For real? I don't remember reading that. I'm not saying it's not true because there was SO much being printed that I eventually started scanning. However, what I do remember was the drivers discussing things that were being passed along via e-mail or cell phone, but not the dossier. There is a huge difference IMHO. As I said, the stuff that was being passed around is stuff that has always been passed around one way or another.
Old 11-26-2007 | 05:15 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Renault leaving is a very much a possible scenario. They almost left before this season and are not so F1 fanatics so if they are slapped with $100 million penalty, I have no doubt they'd leave or at least concider it strongly.
That's exactly why I don't think they will get the McLaren $100m penalty. If the FIA wants to have Renault as a participant, which I think they most certainly do, they can't levy that kind of penalty. McLaren will cry foul, but they have to be realistic for the good of the entire series.
Old 11-26-2007 | 05:17 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Only real choice seems to be Kovalainen. I believe he'd already have a contract with them if Flavio wasn't his manager. Flavio needs to wait Alonso's decision which mean he doesn't want Kovalainen to go anywhere before he knows for sure whether Alonso comes or not.

I've always wondered Flavio's position as a manager and team leader in a case such as this where he acts as both.
Heikki said publically he would not be a #2 to Hamilton...
Old 11-26-2007 | 05:24 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

M3Pete, yeah in theory every driver at Macca will be given equal status but we clearly saw this yr that Hamilton is the golden boy and the team will support him over anyone else. He has been groomed by McLaren for a long time and has had ties with all the engineers, its clear they have a special bond.
No one else will get the same treatment as Hamilton in Macca. That is a fact and even ***** Webber cautioned Nico Rosberg from joining Macca for this very reason. Who ever ends up at Macca will destroy their career in Hamilton's shadow, more so because the team will always support Hamilton more than anyone else.
BTW, Alonso is just as much a talent as Schumi. Look at Renault after Alonso left. Why do you think they are so desperate to get him back. They, know more than anyone what Alonso brings to the table.
Regards.
Raj
Old 11-26-2007 | 05:53 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Heikki said publically he would not be a #2 to Hamilton...
I know but he is running out of choices because Flavio don't want to move him until he's sure about Alonso and that's screwing Kovalainen up...
I doubt Red Bull can have him (to replace DC) and Frank seems to be really firm with Nico staying at Williams (plus Nico likes to be there) which means McLaren is the only competitive team left.

Will mean being #2 but being #2 at McLaren is better than being #1 or equal at Toyota or any other teams out there.
Old 11-26-2007 | 06:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Ask Rubens if he preferred being #1 at Honda or #2 at Ferrari.....
Old 11-26-2007 | 08:53 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sadly, despite what Ross Brawn may have said recently about Rubens in comparing his speed to Schumacher's, in the past two years, Jensen Button has out outscored Rubens two years running.

Quick Reply: Silly Season in Formula 1 keeps going strong