Sponsored by:

Help with data acquisition please

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:46 PM
boqueron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott,

I understood that the Traqmate accelerometers are showing the acceleration point and the G's. Why would one want to add a throttle position sensor ? In order to eliminate some information that could mislead the interpretation of G's ? ( different Tyre wear and temperature , Track condition, etc...)
Old 12-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Why would one want to add a throttle position sensor ?
To show you that you really didn't take the corner flat out.

Seriously, throttle position is one of the basic sensors that can identify areas of driver improvement.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:10 PM
boqueron
Pro

Seriously..,... isn't there an equivalence between throttle position and the resulting G's ?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. The Traqmate does fine for lateral g's and g's during braking, but the data for acceleration g's depends on gearing and other factors and doesn't really give the information you want. The throttle position sensor tells you when you are getting on the throttle, how hard and when you get to WOT and when you chicken out and lift. The g's don't give you all that. Even looking at rpm as a surrogate still doen't really give the information the TPS does.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:55 PM
boqueron
Pro

Thanks ! I'll buy a Throttle sensor.. without any doubt and a RPM Any thoughts on the best sensor ? And a reliable Internet source ?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:42 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Its been quite a while since I've been on Rennlist, so g'day everyone! I better go ask JD is he'll have me back as a sponsor PDQ!!

There are some trade offs to be made when choosing a logger package.
At one end of the spectrum lies the MoTeC ADL product line, with their i2 Pro analytics. This is undoubtedly the ultimate package, given that its pitched at pro teams and has an almost unlimited analytics feature set. If you can't do it with i2 Pro, you probably don't want to do it. Sensors are expensive, but you are paying for the best and most reliable. There's a new i2 Pro coming that has some impressive video features, including the ability to create video with overlaid data.

In the same class, and at the same general price point, lies Pi Research, Stack and the upper end of the Aim range. Once again, the analytics are significantly different from each of these vendors, so if you are buying in this range it really makes sense to do some solid research and talk to someone who has first hand experience with the product lines. Talking to people who are 'invested' in a particular product means YOU have to do the comparative analysis, and that's a lot of work.

In the GPS logger range, there are some quite capable products out there that will get you a nice multi-sensor setup in the >$1000 <$2000 range. The Racepak G2X, the Race Technology DL series, Traqmate, etc are in this class. Some, including RaceTechnology & Traqmate, provide generic analog and digital inputs that will accept most sensor types. Most also provide a simple process to add math channels that will scale these inputs nicely. Throttle position data that reads 0 -100% is much more useful that data that reads 0.243V - 3.454V [which happens to be the range of the Bosch Motronic sensors in many Porsche models]. Traqmate does not have provision for math channels, so sensor scaling and gear calculation is not possible. Racepak's G2x sensor system appears to be expensive, but general analog and digital sensors run around $100, plus you need a initial Vnet cable at around $100 to get started. The very cool thing is that their VNet sensors can be calibrated using your PC, so scaling is a snap! Its impressive! Having used all three of these analytics packages extensively, the G2X package is definitely the more flexible and capable even though it can be a bit complicated. Adding Math channels is a cinch.

In the sub-$500 range, its really worth looking at MaxQData. Its great value, and although they don't do as much promotion their users are very happy campers. The analytics are not quite as powerful as some, but they are very easy to use.

Video integration is almost a separate issue. Many vendors are offering the ability to sync up video in their analytics application, and to display the frame that matches the data. Some have a 'play' capability, some are frame-by-frame. All have the ability to export data to TrackVision to produce video with overlaid data dashboard. As time goes on, we will see more cases where integration with video production apps will become even more complete.

This is one of those areas where there is a very wide range of solutions to choose from, and the good news is that there are decent systems available across a wide range of price points. My personal criterion for decisions like this is the tire constant. If a systems like this can really make a difference to your development as a driver, AND give you the ability to compare performance with other drivers, AND you can get started for less than a set of new Hoosiers, then the decision is an easy one to make :-)

Last edited by APKhaos; 12-04-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:33 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

thanks again folks
Old 12-04-2007, 07:28 AM
v12man
Instructor

boqueron

Your car has a throttle position sensor (e-gas) and RPM sensor - just tap into them at the ECU - no need to buy sensors for those. There are other sensor that are also usable that are already built in - just depends what data is useful to you. This is my useful list, that one day I will have all set up on my traqmate.

rpm - done
brake (on/off) - done
wheel speed (use rpm & wheelspeed to calculate gear)
brake pressure
throttle position
steering angle

I think on the Mk2 GT3 of my list, the only sensors you would need to install are brake pressure and steering angle - and by then you are either pretty advanced user or very confused.

I get value off the rpm and brake on off - and the built in accelerometers in the traqmate - enough for the moment anyway.

This thread may help give you some ideas.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...793&hl=ecu+pin
Old 12-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Its been quite a while since I've been on Rennlist, so g'day everyone! I better go ask JD is he'll have me back as a sponsor PDQ!!

At one end of the spectrum lies the MoTeC ADL product line, with their i2 Pro analytics. This is undoubtedly the ultimate package, given that its pitched at pro teams and has an almost unlimited analytics feature set. If you can't do it with i2 Pro, you probably don't want to do it. Sensors are expensive, but you are paying for the best and most reliable. There's a new i2 Pro coming that has some impressive video features, including the ability to create video with overlaid data.

In the same class, and at the same general price point, lies Pi Research, Stack and the upper end of the Aim range. Once again, the analytics are significantly different from each of these vendors, so if you are buying in this range it really makes sense to do some solid research and talk to someone who has first hand experience with the product lines. Talking to people who are 'invested' in a particular product means YOU have to do the comparative analysis, and that's a lot of work.

In the GPS logger range, there are some quite capable products out there that will get you a nice multi-sensor setup in the >$1000 <$2000 range. The Racepak G2X, the Race Technology DL series, Traqmate, etc are in this class. Some, including RaceTechnology & Traqmate, provide generic analog and digital inputs that will accept most sensor types. Most also provide a simple process to add match channels that will scale these inputs nicely. Throttle position data that reads 0 -100% is much more useful that data that reads 0.243V - 3.454V [which happens to be the range of the Bosch Motronic sensors in many Porsche models]. Traqmate does not have provision for math channels, so sensor scaling and gear calculation is not possible. Racepak's G2x sensor system appears to be expensive, but general analog and digital sensors run around $100, plus you need a initial Vnet cable at around $100 to get started. The very cool thing is that their VNet sensors can be calibrated using your PC, so scaling is a snap! Its impressive! Having used all three of these analytics packages extensively, the G2X package is definitely the more flexible and capable even though it can be a bit complicated. Adding Math channels is a cinch.

In the sub-$500 range, its really worth looking at MaxQData. Its great value, and although they don't do as much promotion their users are very happy campers. The analytics are not quite as powerful as some, but they are very easy to use.

Video integration is almost a separate issue. Many vendors are offering the ability to sync up video in their analytics application, and to display the frame that matches the data. Some have a 'play' capability, some are frame-by-frame. All have the ability to export data to TrackVision to produce video with overlaid data dashboard. As time goes on, we will see more cases where integration with video production apps will become even more complete.

This is one of those areas where there is a very wide range of solutions to choose from, and the good news is that there are decent systems available across a wide range of price points. My personal criterion for decisions like this is the tire constant. If a systems like this can really make a difference to your development as a driver, AND give you the ability to compare performance with other drivers, ADN you can get started for less than a set of new Hoosiers, then the decision is an easy one to make :-)
Very good synopsis, thank you. You touched on a very good point with the ability to compare data with others. With some of these systems (the smaller GPS ones) it's as simple as dropping your equipment into a cooperating guys car and taking the data for comparison. Or if you know someone (or several someone's) that performs at a higher level than you, has a certain system installed and want to compare data, that's a point for that system.

I still have a MaxQdata system for sale also...
Old 12-04-2007, 12:39 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Originally Posted by APKhaos

In the GPS logger range, there are some quite capable products out there that will get you a nice multi-sensor setup in the >$1000 <$2000 range. The Racepak G2X, the Race Technology DL series, Traqmate, etc are in this class. Some, including RaceTechnology & Traqmate, provide generic analog and digital inputs that will accept most sensor types. Most also provide a simple process to add math channels that will scale these inputs nicely. Throttle position data that reads 0 -100% is much more useful that data that reads 0.243V - 3.454V [which happens to be the range of the Bosch Motronic sensors in many Porsche models]. Traqmate does not have provision for math channels, so sensor scaling and gear calculation is not possible. Racepak's G2x sensor system appears to be expensive, but general analog and digital sensors run around $100, plus you need a initial Vnet cable at around $100 to get started. The very cool thing is that their VNet sensors can be calibrated using your PC, so scaling is a snap! Its impressive! Having used all three of these analytics packages extensively, the G2X package is definitely the more flexible and capable even though it can be a bit complicated. Adding Math channels is a cinch.

This is one of those areas where there is a very wide range of solutions to choose from, and the good news is that there are decent systems available across a wide range of price points. My personal criterion for decisions like this is the tire constant. If a systems like this can really make a difference to your development as a driver, AND give you the ability to compare performance with other drivers, AND you can get started for less than a set of new Hoosiers, then the decision is an easy one to make :-)

Excellent post!

I just wanted to make a clarification though
Traqmate does not have provision for math channels, so sensor scaling and gear calculation is not possible.
This is not quite true. Traqmate does not have provisions for adding custom math channels, but it does do the sensor scaling for you. In the software where you set up the sensors, you can enter the low voltage and the high voltage and then assign values for each of those in what ever units of measurement you want. It will then translate all values in-between. When reviewing the data for my TPS sensor it displays 0-100% (not the actual voltage). You could do sometging similar with a steering angle sensor to read and display the values as say -200* to 200* instead of the actual voltages. This can be done for any analog sensor. These scaled values are also exported for the TrackVision so there is no other work needed to be done to get it to work for TrackVision either.
They are also working on recording and displaying gear.

-Scott
Old 12-04-2007, 12:42 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Also in the sub $500 range is the G-Tech Pro RR at $300.

-Scott
Old 12-04-2007, 12:53 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Originally Posted by boqueron
I have read in the Traqmate manual ( page 26) that the sampling rate can be set in 10, 20 or 40 Hz mode. (They recommend 20 hz.) Why wouldn't recommend - 40 hz. Is there any tradeoff involved when setting this 40 hz sampling rate ? Would this 40Hz sampling mode increase the accuracy ?
The trade off is the amount of time that you can record data for. 40hz means half the recording time as 20hz (ie. 40hz has twice as much data as 20hz in the same time frame). However Traqmate has doubled their memory size last year, so even at 40hz it is unlikely that you will run out of memory in a days worth of DE sessions. So just download and erase your sessions each night and you won't have to worry about it.

-Scott
Old 12-04-2007, 01:18 PM
boqueron
Pro

Thanks again ...
Old 12-04-2007, 02:00 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Traqmate does not have provisions for adding custom math channels, but it does do the sensor scaling for you.
You are right. I missed the scaling feature in Traqview V2.0, which makes a big difference. Gear is something that they will add sometime, I'm sure. FWIW, Race Technology has had a Gear setup since way back in V4, but I've always found that it needs some tweaking to ensure it detects every change, especially when the ratios are closely spaced.

Also in the sub $500 range is the G-Tech Pro RR at $300.
Yes, but its got some real limitations. No External inputs at all, and very limited analytics. Maybe I'm just being spoiled by what we are seeing in the around $1000 range now.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by v12man
boqueron

Your car has a throttle position sensor (e-gas) and RPM sensor - just tap into them at the ECU - no need to buy sensors for those. There are other sensor that are also usable that are already built in - just depends what data is useful to you. This is my useful list, that one day I will have all set up on my traqmate.

rpm - done
brake (on/off) - done
wheel speed (use rpm & wheelspeed to calculate gear)
brake pressure
throttle position
steering angle

I think on the Mk2 GT3 of my list, the only sensors you would need to install are brake pressure and steering angle - and by then you are either pretty advanced user or very confused.

I get value off the rpm and brake on off - and the built in accelerometers in the traqmate - enough for the moment anyway.

This thread may help give you some ideas.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...793&hl=ecu+pin
I also tap the ECU for eGas throttle position.

I saw there is a brake pressure signal at the ECU and ABS/PSM module also, would it cause issue to tap that signal directly?

If you don't want to install wheel speed sensor, you can also calculate gear using GPS speed.

Quick Reply: Help with data acquisition please