Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with data acquisition please

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:01 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

What is the best way to really learn how to use the data. I have an Aim mychron 3 gold and the book is really limited in what you can learn from it. 2nd how much difference is there between the gold and the piasta?

Thanks, Mike
Old 11-26-2007, 11:37 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
What is the best way to really learn how to use the data. I have an Aim mychron 3 gold and the book is really limited in what you can learn from it. 2nd how much difference is there between the gold and the piasta?

Thanks, Mike
I can offer three suggestions:

1) Teach yourself - when something happens on track (understeer, oversteer, a slide, an 'almost' off, etc) find it in data. Teach yourself to see what the car is doing based on data. After a while, you will see what is happening in data even though you might not have been aware of it in the car.

2) Hire a data engineer and have them teach you one-on-one. This can even be done remotely by sending data files and using the phone.

3) Take the Claude Roulle seminar.

All of these are valuable, IMO and I have done all 3.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:54 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Competition Car Data Logging by Simon McBeath. It was OK. Actually it gave me a lot of ideas on how I could use my data to help improve my times.

For example I have a throttle position sensor and brake indicator. This allowed me to see how long it was taking me to go from one to the other. Using these two together I worked on improving my transition from braking to throttle (and vice versa), making it faster and smoother.

-Scott
Old 11-27-2007, 12:58 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sbarton
I read Competition Car Data Logging by Simon McBeath. It was OK. Actually it gave me a lot of ideas on how I could use my data to help improve my times.

For example I have a throttle position sensor and brake indicator. This allowed me to see how long it was taking me to go from one to the other. Using these two together I worked on improving my transition from braking to throttle (and vice versa), making it faster and smoother.

-Scott
+1

This is exactly the type of reason why I said that direct sensors for throttle position, brake pressure and steering angle are so important. You just can't catch everything if you are only looking at the end results (e.g., lat gs., long gs., the infamous G-Sum <gasp>, mph, time, lap position).
Old 11-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I read Competition Car Data Logging by Simon McBeath.
-Scott
Thanks for the link Scott, more reading for the winter!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Using these two together I worked on improving my transition from braking to throttle (and vice versa), making it faster and smoother.
And that is a good reason to really look at the analysis software capability and the ability to create additional channels. I've done this in MoTeC and created something called a coast factor which is where you are not on the brakes and not on the throttle.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Ranger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Traqmate, Traqview w/ Chasecam integration. The important thing when choosing a datalogger is the interpretive software. Focus really hard on the how good the software seems to be at telling you what is going on. Any outfit can stick some accelerometers and GPS in a box. The hard part is creating good analysis tools, which is to say, the software.

I tried a different product, and then sent it back because Traqview was just so much better. And now the new "TraqVideo" (seeing data and video simul) makes it a whole new world.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:21 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The advice of waiting on a Data system is based on good intentions, but on the other hand. I see this as a great opportunity to witness your own learning curve as you progress in larger leaps. The difference in improving say 3 seconds a lap versus .5 secs will really show what you have been working on ( assuming you do no modifications to the car). I use DAS with a Racepak G2X similar to the other systems suggested. Motec is one of the best. Adding brake, steering, and throttle position sensors are a great addition. It would be great to see you post your results moving forward. I started gaining data from a pro coach and will continue this in the Spring.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:22 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Ill acquire YOUR data...

but seriously, Traqmate kicks ***!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have to agree with others, until you are more experienced, your time and money would be better spent doing more DE's than on a datalogger. That said, I have a TraqMate and really like it. Very easy to install and use. I use TrackVision to overlay the data onto video so I can review my videos with the data to see where I gained speed on certain laps and why. I'll then go into the TraqView software and really analyze the data to see exactly what I did to make that speed.
I record speed, RPM, thottle position, braking, G-Forces, lap times, track location, and track map.
See this video for an example with the data overlay.

Here is an overview of most GPS data loggers.

-Scott

Scott, where did you buy the throttle position sensor and how did you connect it to the traqmate?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Scott, where did you buy the throttle position sensor and how did you connect it to the traqmate?
That would make for a nice tutorial. I'm going to be asking about tach, throttle, brake, and steering sensors for the Pista (should I go that route) in my SC the upcoming months also.. And how does the system know what gear you are in in a car without OBD? Or is that even possible?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356

Okay, found it in your post on the other site http://www.race-technology.com/pedal...vel_8_969.html

so, how did you connect it?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

.. And how does the system know what gear you are in in a car without OBD? Or is that even possible?
The DAQ can calculate gear by wheel speed and gear ratio
Old 11-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

G2X dash is much superior (IMHO) to the traqmate in terms of readability, available functions, and size to Traqmate and is (I think) about $100 cheaper for the basic setup which includes the dash. Software, at least in previous versions, is not that user friendly but not horrendous either once you get used to it.

Adding additional sensors to the G2X is also marginally more expensive as you have to buy their proprietary cabling - however you will not need to use their sensors - any brand sensor can be used as long as you get the G2X cable (common misconception) You can pick up tach signals and TPS off of the DME so no additional sensors needed for those.

Traqmate is marginally more expensive, has better software, but the dash is smaller and has fewer functions. Easier to add additional sensors

I went with the G2X as I wanted the more readable dash as my primary concern other than the basic 2 axis data acq. and GPS.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
The DAQ can calculate gear by wheel speed and gear ratio
Thanks Geoffrey. As I remember you had a post up a while back when you built you car about sensor placement, no?

Quick Reply: Help with data acquisition please