Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different seat for passenger in DE

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Jim W
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the quest for additional safety this new rule could have the unintended consequence of diminished safety for many. Certainly, committed DE folks will anty up and probably are already there, but we are alway trying to recruit new drivers. Will these newer (and occaisional) drivers simply decide to stay with standard seats and three point harnesses longer instead of upgrading both sides? The reasons could be cost or convenience. If so, how is their safety and their instructor's safety served? Just a question.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DM993tt
Get a divorce.
HAHA, I like the way this guy thinks.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

could just buy a dedicated track car and then do what you want
Old 11-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim W
In the quest for additional safety this new rule could have the unintended consequence of diminished safety for many. Certainly, committed DE folks will anty up and probably are already there, but we are alway trying to recruit new drivers. Will these newer (and occaisional) drivers simply decide to stay with standard seats and three point harnesses longer instead of upgrading both sides? The reasons could be cost or convenience. If so, how is their safety and their instructor's safety served? Just a question.
If there is no rule like this, more instructors will be wearing three-point belts while their blue group students only upgrade the driver side safety equipment.

Instructors can theoretically refuse to ride in a car, but most would reluctantly ride with. The rule is really to protect the silent majority.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:00 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
To the instructors and experienced DE crowd, will it be frowned upon if i show up to a DE with a Sparco Evo on the drivers side and stock sport seat on the passenger? I do have a 6-pt belt on the drivers side also. The car stemmed from auto-x where hardly ever do i ride with a passenger. I want to get into DE next season, but also want to have the right equipment. I have no problem using the 3pt belt with the Sparco seat at a DE.

I know the actual rules vary from region to region, but i figure the general feeling will be the same throughout.

I am planning on buying a reclining Recaro, Sparco or Momo seat and matching 6pt harness, its just a question of do i drop another $800 into the car now and blow my entry fee budget, or save up and do a few DE's first. Will it be frowned upon if i have a shell on the drivers side and a recliner on the other? My car does see street use and i cant imagine my girlfriend or any other passenger being to excited about riding in my car ever again with a fixed back seat.. also i understand people come in a multitude of sizes and figure a recliner is the most 'flexible' with a variation of waist and bust sizes.

Jon,

With your existing set-up - as described - (shell on driver's side, OEM sport seat on pass side), you will not have an instructor in your car at any Metro, NNJR or HVR D.E. Thus, as a novice, you will not be permitted on track. I know that it's not easy on your "student's budget" to just go and buy what you need at any given time.

You might consider continuing with the auto-x until you can afford to make your car safe for driving on-track. The car control skills you're acquiring "driving the cones" is good experience and the track will still be there when you're ready.

Dollars spent on safety are $$ well-spent.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the advice Rich. Perhaps if i really had the itch for DE i can just throw the stock drivers seat back in. I do have Momo recliners in the 951, but the intent was to keep that car as a daily driver and use my already partially stripped, no a/c 944 for the track. I figure the cost of keeping the car running on the track will be cheaper aswell.

I think i got into one of the worse possible hobbies for someone on a student budget ...
Old 11-13-2007, 10:26 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I agree with this concern. It also applies to the need for harnesses plus seats. I believe there will be a certan population that will be down grading safety to comply with new standards. Techno's only option seems to take out the race seat and go with stock 3pt belts for DE because he can't afford the $600-$800 for a passenger's seat and harness. I fully understand the desire for equal restraints, but is it really better? Hard to say for sure really. Yeah in a perfect work everyone would just upgrade. I just don't see that happening.

BTW... I may be in the minority here, but I personally would be ok in a Novice DE group with 3pt belt even if the driver had a seat & harness. Why? 95% of the cars in first time to the track DE groups will have 3pt belts anyway. These guys a fresh and will be going much slower than in the upper groups. The addition of racing seat on the driver's side does not mean the guy will be "racing" at all. I do feel that as the driver progresses through the run groups this situation becomes more critical. For example in the last instructed group a car running R-tires, stiff suspension, roll bar and driver's side harness & seat would make me think twice about being in a stock 3pt pass seat. The reason here is the car and driver are set-up for speed, but the instructor is kind of out there. Not good.

Really maybe the best solution is to link safety mods with chassis mods.

IE.

stock seats 3pts are ok for all cars with street tires. (driver & instuctor). Driver may have racing seat/harness, but not needed for instructor

Harness & seats are required for driver (and passenger if used) for cars with R-tires.

At least this way you still allow the new guys in with out needing to mod too much and if a guy want to move from autocross and they have race seat stick them on streets. This keeps corner speeds down. I do feel if you are going to spend the $$$$$$ to run r-tires you should spend the $$$$ for safety gear.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personal observation. As an instructor, I prefer to wear my Hahns when riding in any car in any group on the track. As others, I do not have the same seats on both sides of my track car because passengers come in all sizes and I will not be changing seats based on the width of the passenger. The passenger's seats, may in fact be safer since it is bolted to the floor and the driver's seat is on sliders.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:37 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the equal rule is new. I am sure that it is not new in the reigon I work in. National has come out with some new rules that are fully inforce for 2008 that have a wide reach into all run groups.

I for one see the value in the "equal" rule and have inspected plenty of cars. Most drivers and cars do not have any issues with the equal rule. More cars in DE have issues with methods used rather than materals.

I would expect consideration be made for my safety along with that of the students. On the other hand I wold not deny any form of protection that a student could use such as a H&N if I not have one. Consider the ooutcome if I did and there was a wreck where he was hurt due to the lack of it.

The example of a sport seat on the right and racing shell on the left side. The sport seat is ruled out already, not because it is not the same, but it is not made for a 5 or 6 point system.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:04 PM
TR6
Drifting

I've been mulling this dilemma over lately for the 2008 season. Currently I have stock seats and factory 3 pts. My plan is to save up until I can do both sides with seats and 6 pt harnesses at the same time. I have the same issue having a dual purpose car that the wife rides in periodically. Hard shell seats won't go over well and I know I won't be swapping them back and forth between street and track. So I've already spec'd out some nice reclining sport seats that have all of the required guide holes for harnesses. They will be a compromise in terms of rigidly holding my butt in place compared to hardshell seats, but I don't race, and I figure the 6 pts cinched down tight will do most of the work of holding me in place. Sport seats will also weigh about 10 lbs more each than hard shells, but will still be about 20 lbs less each than my stock seats. Costwise, I'll probably have $1600 - $2000 in them installed if I go new instead of used. Hence, I have to budget and stay with the factory setup until I can afford to do it right.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to pour any more fuel on the fire but....a real question here (and I think the one the OP was looking to answer).

If on the driver side you have a race seat, with 6pt harness and rollbar but have a completely stock passenger seat and stock 3pt belt. Then whenever you have an instructor/passenger in the car both the driver and passenger revert to using the 3 point belts.

When the driver is solo he can use the harness.

This is legit?

Old 11-13-2007, 02:37 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

One of the more astute comments I heard about the equal restraint rule was that the instructor deserved as much protection as the student driver. And that a student driving in a race seat and 6/7 point harness might be driving closer to the edge than he or she would if driving in stock seats with the 3-point.
Lots to argue with in those suppositions, but in some ways it makes sense to me.
Personally, I am happy to see students with upgraded safety equipment and hate to inhibit their safety improvements. If I can't keep a student driving under control such that I am reasonably safe in Porsche seats and belts, I probably need to improve my instructing skills.
Just a thought.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:51 PM
NJcroc
Racer

not to beat this thread to death but if I wanted to run a recaro pro racer spa hans seat for the driver I wouldn’t put it in the pass seat it wouldn't be comfortable for an instructor to have the limited sight of that seat. I would expect a good quality race shell on the passenger side. If you want good instruction make your instructor a happy comfortable instructor.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:58 PM
James-man
Race Car

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Not to pour any more fuel on the fire but....a real question here (and I think the one the OP was looking to answer).

If on the driver side you have a race seat, with 6pt harness and rollbar but have a completely stock passenger seat and stock 3pt belt. Then whenever you have an instructor/passenger in the car both the driver and passenger revert to using the 3 point belts.

When the driver is solo he can use the harness.

This is legit?

Many race seats have tall sides on them that would prevent a lap belt from fitting snugly. Legit? Probably mostly depends on the structure of the seat.

Last edited by James-man; 11-13-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a point of discussion, when I started DE I bought a nicely set up dual purpose car equipped with a roll bar and identical racing shells and 6 point harnesses for driver and passenger. I found that whem I started in Novice on street tires most of my instructors would not bother taking the time to put on and adjust their 6-point harnesses. They would simply use the 3 point belts even when I was using my harness. I found this a bit frustrating. However, since then I have gotten faster, moved up groups and switched to R-compound tires, and now the instructors are all very appreciative of the seats and harnesses available to them, and always use them.

My point, from experience, is that it is not reasonable to enforce the concept of "identical" safety equipment at the Novice levels. It works well at the more advanced levels, and certainly by the time you are on track rubber.

Quick Reply: Different seat for passenger in DE