Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headlights and horn.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
It must be nice to have enough HP that that's an option.
BWAHAHAHAHA.... try 130hp sometime then! I can't make a pass in open DE without a charity lift. Today I had a Saturn Ion in my group. He pulled me on every straight but I was on him in every corner. But he didn't like to lift so I'd get a point by as he pulled away from me.

He got a little better as he got used to it happening but still...

John's graphics are right on... I need a set of those!
Old 09-15-2007, 12:03 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fuenfer
And that was the event when I'd see you on top of me before I'd know it. You and that Cayman S were freakishly fast that day ... are you sure you didn't lap me??
OK Phil, but I think it was just once.....

I hope you are doing well....
Old 09-15-2007, 12:06 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Paolo, Brian's right. You don't want to be like the guy in this video getting passed...

Don't be like this Boxster S guy
OK, that could be me in my rookie race, but you better watch out after that....
Old 09-15-2007, 12:23 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
"Hey **********, next time you see me in your ****ing mirros, get the **** out of my way or I'll push your sorry *** to the grass!"
I missed this one earlier on, but it definetly gets the point across........
Old 09-15-2007, 02:37 AM
ronbo56
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this thread.

DMD: I would think that a man with a healthy imagination and access to dental instruments could solve this problem. If not, I suggest you rent Marathon Man.

Z-Man: +1 on the invisibility cloak for 944s. +2 for 135hp NAs like mine. +3 since it's NNJR and I'm in green like, for life. Hope to see you up at the Glen. I'll be in the 944 in, um, green.

I actually encountered this problem a couple of weeks ago. I was at Lime Rock in an upper intermediate group(!) with passing allowed in all straights after a point-by. I spent an entire session crawling up the butt of a Spec Miata but didn't get a point-by. Being a good DE-er, I didn't pass him. I went up to him after the session and politely introduced myself and politely explained that I would have appreciated a point-by or two. Equally politely, he told me that he had seen me back there, and wondered why I didn't just take the pass. Even more politely, I mentioned something about the "no point-by, no pass" rule. At that point he became so polite that he didn't say anything. He just smiled and let me read the thought balloon over his head: "Son, if you're in an upper run group, the point-by rule is just a suggestion. No one is waiting for you to point them by, so you shouldn't expect any more from me. Nice car, by the way."

I would never dream of taking that approach at a PCA event, especially as a greenie, but he did have a point.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:05 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronbo56
I actually encountered this problem a couple of weeks ago. I was at Lime Rock in an upper intermediate group(!) with passing allowed in all straights after a point-by. I spent an entire session crawling up the butt of a Spec Miata but didn't get a point-by. Being a good DE-er, I didn't pass him. I went up to him after the session and politely introduced myself and politely explained that I would have appreciated a point-by or two. Equally politely, he told me that he had seen me back there, and wondered why I didn't just take the pass. Even more politely, I mentioned something about the "no point-by, no pass" rule. At that point he became so polite that he didn't say anything. He just smiled and let me read the thought balloon over his head: "Son, if you're in an upper run group, the point-by rule is just a suggestion. No one is waiting for you to point them by, so you shouldn't expect any more from me. Nice car, by the way."

I would never dream of taking that approach at a PCA event, especially as a greenie, but he did have a point.
Ha!

He would get dissinvited - and told specifically why - if I had anything to do with it. It helps to know the CI!
Old 09-15-2007, 08:11 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

If someone gives a point by and doesn't lift, pull out and stay there. If you're that much faster, you'll be able to rocket by in the braking zone.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:59 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
If someone gives a point by and doesn't lift, pull out and stay there. If you're that much faster, you'll be able to rocket by in the braking zone.
I don't do that many DEs any more, but this is definitely what I do when folks give me the signal and then think I can motor by them on the straights, despite only have 260 rated hp. Luckily the car can out brake most of them...

As for the video of Brian and the GTC1 guys, he was doing just fine. Anytime he holds up Scotto for me he's doing a great job.

As for the "no pussies" sticker, yes it has become the de facto logo of a bunch of us from NJ. I have to tell my kids it means "no scaredy cats", though.

The video camera is a Sony HDV camera. I'm going to try a new-fangled Panasonic AVCHD next season.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Perhaps certain drivers can be surreptitiously awarded this keychain.

http://www.bmfwallets.com/pussywagon.htm
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2007, 09:41 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still think a mysterious suction cup mounted blue flag that shows up on the rear glass before they go back out would be appropriate to rolling chicanes. If you get 3 of these, then you move down a group quietly.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:43 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw a sticker on some vehicle..."first I give thee pass, then I step on zee gas".
Old 09-15-2007, 09:45 AM
ronbo56
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Ha!

He would get dissinvited - and told specifically why - if I had anything to do with it. It helps to know the CI!
Actually, I was headed over to speak with the organizer/CI when I walked past the driver and decided - on a whim, really - to eliminate the middleman. I had cleverly waited until I was no longer actively pissed off so I figured it was worth a shot. I was more interested in having an unimpeded track than I was in having him black flagged or worse. If he proved himself an arrogant jerk that would be one thing, but I didn't have that sense at all.

BTW, I love your windshield decal. I've seen you at the track but we've never been in the same run group (obviously). I'd give a lot to see the look on the face of the turbo pilots as you catch them in the corners.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:15 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronbo56
BTW, I love your windshield decal. I've seen you at the track but we've never been in the same run group (obviously). I'd give a lot to see the look on the face of the turbo pilots as you catch them in the corners.
So would I!

Stop over and say hey next time, eh?

Quick Reply: Etiquette advice needed......