Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Etiquette advice needed......

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007 | 08:43 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Default Etiquette advice needed......

not that I have ever been in such a situation, but it might happen (either way).....

how do you translate:

"Hey pal, you either need bigger mirrors, stronger prescription glasses or just plain learn how to drive, but you are holding me up with your fancy car and should stick your hand out as soon as you see me coming....." in a diplomatic, gentlemently, PCA approved version?

I am sure there are plenty of versions out there, I would like to hear yours....
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:03 PM
DanS911
Pro

My version would sound like this...."excuse me Mr DE Chairman (or MR CTI) car number ### isn't pointing by properly and it is a real problem out there."
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:05 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Why talk, just pass. Safer than a fistfight.
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:13 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Dan, I have tried that, but humans forget easily.....

Jupe, do you mean pass them without a point by (and get black flagged, unless it is a PCA race) or just let your 20 minutes/sessions go to waste?
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:16 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Paolo, For every guy you pass there is another waiting to pass you also (at least that should be your attitude). If you feel someone is holding you up, have a conversation with them not a banter of humble pie dropped on their lap.

A better approach would be to introduce yourself and what car you drive, since you already know who they are (except maybe their name). If the driver knows your car , give them a chance to explain their driving intentions.

"Hey, is this your car? My name is Speedy , I'm the black 911 over there>>>> point to your car." "What do you think of the track conditions?" Relative conversation. BS BS .

From here you can make your point if you still feel it necessary.

"Hey, Frank (driver's name which you have by starting a pleasant conversation) I am sorry if I was driving a little close into the corners, but in my region it's been the only effective way to get a point by. Let me know if your okay with this since we need to CO-EXIST out there."

Once you start racing, your attitude towards this situation is going to change or your going to get labelled as a true PITA.

I am sorry you missed our Glen event. I think getting a ride in a 225HP Honda running 2:10s by a top racer would have indicated how much we all can still learn. Getting faster is very rewarding, but keep in mind that DE events have very different goals for every driver out there and they paid to use the track also.
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:17 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Dan, I have tried that, but humans forget easily.....

Jupe, do you mean pass them without a point by (and get black flagged, unless it is a PCA race) or just let your 20 minutes/sessions go to waste?
I would never, ever, advocate breaking the rules.

I've never, ever, passed a person without a signal in a DE who didn't deserve it.

Seriously, I never say anything. How close were you following? Did you make runs on him after each corner? Weave a little in his mirrors to make sure he saw you? Otherwise, yes, I'd throw that run group and stay away from the guy the next time in staging and hope not to catch him. If he habitually doesn't give signals, tell the CI, but to be honest, I've never wasted my breath on that conversation either. Whoever you talk to about it will just think you're an arrogant and aggressive driver, anyway. See reason #143 why CR'ing is better.
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:29 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

In the past I've mentioned repeat offenders (maybe after two sessions of similar behavior) to some of those running the event. I do make sure they KNOW I'm there... Pretty sure I give some people heart attacks when they put a bunch of distance on me on the straights and then I am glued to their bumper one turn later.

Usually not that long after that they start getting blue flagged to let me by. That's far more humble pie for the guy with the car worth 50x mine than any words I could ever speak to him.
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:37 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

What I don't understand is why they always stage early/first and are one of the lead cars out? Do they want open track without someone blocking them? Session after session they do this and I don't feel like getting there as soon as the previous session just left to get ahead.

Show them the passing flag? They have to know what the flags mean first...

Last edited by A930Rocket; 09-13-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:44 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Bob, thanks for your great response, I am definetly at a loss in not being able to attend the Glen event with your region and missing out in chance of meeting and learning from people like yourself and Larry....

I promptly recognize the few higher HP, R-compound equipped vehicles out there that what to pass.... not a problem, but most of the time I resort to pitting in and letting the ego driven, fancy car driver go for a lap of two, until we meet again...

Racing? Me? I don't even know what that means......

Yes, the slower drovers also paid to be there, so.......maybe they should be in a lower group, or, God forbid, I should be moved in a faster group where, I would be the "pea on". And I would be perfectly fine with that......

Jupe, the entire RL thinks I am an arrogant and aggressive driver, so what is the difference?
Just keep on tempting me with CR....... it will actually happen, one day in the distant future.........
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:49 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

A930Rocket, I feel your pain and couldn't agree more....

Schwank, short of me bumping them, there is nothing else I can do. Is there?
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:53 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Solution to the problem lies in how you approach it. Just like all other things in life figure out what's likely to work and what's not. No?
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:58 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Paolo,

What I am saying is as Dr. Jupe will tell you. Get enough DE's in then start Club Racing where passing is the easy part, making a pass stick is another thing. DE's will become more social and fun.
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:58 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Solution to the problem lies in how you approach it. Just like all other things in life figure out what's likely to work and what's not. No?
Are you talking from the passer or passe point of view?
Old 09-13-2007 | 10:02 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
Paolo,

What I am saying is as Dr. Jupe will tell you. Get enough DE's in then start Club Racing where passing is the easy part, making a pass stick is another thing. DE's will become more social and fun.
You guys are just messing with me, but I would like one day to wear the "X" on the back of my track car......

But, before that happens, I need lots more instructed sessions with racers......
Old 09-13-2007 | 10:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Doc, I seem to recall that just a few months ago, you were asking how to move from green to black. My suggestions is to RELAX & set an example for others. As BobT indicated, friendliness & banter can go a long way. That said, you might also consider droving thru hot pits in order to get some clean track or a different bunch of cars to play with.

Quick Reply: Etiquette advice needed......