Etiquette advice needed......

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 11:33 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
not that I have ever been in such a situation, but it might happen (either way).....

how do you translate:

"Hey pal, you either need bigger mirrors, stronger prescription glasses or just plain learn how to drive, but you are holding me up with your fancy car and should stick your hand out as soon as you see me coming....." in a diplomatic, gentlemently, PCA approved version?

I am sure there are plenty of versions out there, I would like to hear yours....
Hi Paolo
I was going to suggest race car graphics, but you've obviously tried that.
Frankly, I don't really see that much of what I might call 'purposeful no point by' even when I am not running in the instructor group I think it is more a lack of situational awareness.
When instructing, I do see more failure to give a point by; probably a combination of student driver overload and instructor not paying attention (and I find that I sometimes am not paying enough attention to the cars behind my student while I am busy trying to figure out a way to help my student learn - note to self to get better at watching our mirrors and preparing the student to set up a point by).
Unfortunately, my best suggestion is to relax; the pass will come to you. Stay close - but not too close - and make real sure that you aren't hovering in a mirror blind spot. I see a lot of students pull partway out trying to get a point by, not realizing that the leading driver can't see them.
Now, high powered cars that don't lift - there's my issue!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:35 AM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Sputter, I used the term Mr. SlowA$$ in a sarcastic manner. Usual difficulties of internet interpretation. I would never use that term for a less experienced driver that is trying to learn and trying to be aware of what is going on around them. My interpretation of the initial question was regarding someone that is repeatedly unaware.
Others are correct, in an instructed group, the instructor needs to be made aware of the issue as well as the driver.
In our region we have black flagged cars with repeated occurances. We then talk to both the driver and instructor. We also send time in contact with our corner workers to display the passing flag and make sure it is observed.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not that I have ever been in such a situation, but it might happen (either way).....

how do you translate:

"Hey pal, you either need bigger mirrors, stronger prescription glasses or just plain learn how to drive, but you are holding me up with your fancy car and should stick your hand out as soon as you see me coming....." in a diplomatic, gentlemently, PCA approved version?

I am sure there are plenty of versions out there, I would like to hear yours....
Paolo:
Are you sure you aren't driving a 944? ?

Seems in PCA events, the 944's must have some type of camouflage that prevents drovers ahead from seeing them in their rear mirrors. Case in point: the GT3 in my run group recently that got a couple of blue flags waved at him and didn't "yield." while I was riding his bumper. For a couple of laps. Oh well, that's life. In my book, a blue flag is as good as a pass.

Hey, there are egos out there - and in DE's, that's the biggest thing that effects passing. But just like it takes two to tango, it takes two egos to have passing issues. (Car in front: I'm faster than him -- why should I let him pass? Car in back: I'm faster than him - he should let me pass...)

If a student of mine gets stuck in a train, I tell him that since we are going at a slower pace, he should have no problem driving the PERFECT line. This seems to work -- it takes the focus off the car infront, and allows my student to continue improving his own driving. Perhaps he picks up a marker on the track he hadn't noticed before -- or he is able to use the whole track without worrying about flying off the edge...

My $0.42,
-Z-man.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:17 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Guys, thanks for your responses....

First of all, let me say that the described situation is more of the exception than the norm.

Of all the 25 DE days I have done so far this year with at least 5 different regions at 5 different tracks, I have to admit that everyone has been cooperative. (With Rennsport being by far the fastest and safest region I have partecipated in...)

Of course that rare occasion when you are held back sticks in your mind, but than again, we are all out there to have fun and enjoy our expensive hobby.....

I like DE because I learn something new everytime, I enjoy chasing down the higher powered cars, and because I am far from being Club Racing material......
Old 09-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its kind of funny when I don't get a pass signal -- in advanced groups its usually someone who thinks they can get away from you. So I like to drive off line and still stay on their bumpers, hopefully they see -- in other words "Look! I'm offline and still faster!!"

The exception I've seen recently is some drivers don't like to give pass signals on warm up laps -- if it's green, give me the pass!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:27 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Great idea Glen, this can make your regular, "boring" DE session different and more interesting.
Yeah, but you better be careful. It seems like every time I do that, I freak out the person in front of me. You have to be ready for that.....

George
Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 PM
TR6
Drifting

I guess I've been pretty lucky in the Maverick and Lonestar region intermediate group (Blue). I pass about as many cars as pass me. I've rarely been held up more than 2 turns or so and try my best to return the favor as quickly as possible to those faster than me. The flaggers at the events I've been to seem to be very aware and quick to show the passing flags. I do admit that in the back and forth bantering between buddies, we do seem to sometimes take the attitude that being passed by your buddy means he beat you. We kid around about it, but out on the track, if my buddy (such as deep_uv) is truly driving faster than me, I have no ego or issues about pointing him by, following him to try to learn something, and then complimenting him on his driving in the paddock. I won't learn anything from a better driver if I keep them behind me.

Paolo, I have to say that you seem like a nice guy and I hope to meet you some day. But it always seems like your threads have the tone of one that really feels that they are faster than their peers and deserves some credit or promotion for it. There are a lot of us here that are in our first or second season of DE'ing and are doing our best to learn to be faster and be safe. But we don't seem to keep posting these 'what do I do about slower cars is in my way' or 'when will I get promoted' kind of threads. Not trying to bash you by any means. Maybe, the tone I think I pick up from you is not what you really intend. Relax, learn, have fun, be safe. If we happen to be on the same track some day and I see you coming up in my mirrors, I'll definitely point you by.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:47 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6

Paolo, There are a lot of us here that are in our first or second season of DE'ing and are doing our best to learn to be faster and be safe. But we don't seem to keep posting these 'what do I do about slower cars is in my way' or 'when will I get promoted' kind of threads.

Yeah, but you sure seem to read and reply to them.....now, why is that?

I am just voicing subjects that maybe others are afraid to bring up......
Old 09-14-2007, 12:54 PM
LAPS INC.
Advanced

Originally Posted by TR6
I guess I've been pretty lucky in the Maverick and Lonestar region intermediate group (Blue). I pass about as many cars as pass me. I've rarely been held up more than 2 turns or so and try my best to return the favor as quickly as possible to those faster than me. The flaggers at the events I've been to seem to be very aware and quick to show the passing flags. I do admit that in the back and forth bantering between buddies, we do seem to sometimes take the attitude that being passed by your buddy means he beat you. We kid around about it, but out on the track, if my buddy (such as deep_uv) is truly driving faster than me, I have no ego or issues about pointing him by, following him to try to learn something, and then complimenting him on his driving in the paddock. I won't learn anything from a better driver if I keep them behind me.

Paolo, I have to say that you seem like a nice guy and I hope to meet you some day. But it always seems like your threads have the tone of one that really feels that they are faster than their peers and deserves some credit or promotion for it. There are a lot of us here that are in our first or second season of DE'ing and are doing our best to learn to be faster and be safe. But we don't seem to keep posting these 'what do I do about slower cars is in my way' or 'when will I get promoted' kind of threads. Not trying to bash you by any means. Maybe, the tone I think I pick up from you is not what you really intend. Relax, learn, have fun, be safe. If we happen to be on the same track some day and I see you coming up in my mirrors, I'll definitely point you by.
Well put!
Old 09-14-2007, 01:33 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the comments by Glen about driving on one side ofe the course. That should be pretty challenging...

I seem to be held up quite a bit and I think part of the problem with me is that there are so many cars like mine on the track that the drover in front of me doesn't really know which car is behind him (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here) so I have started to try and make my car stand out from the other black 944's out there. Then hopefully you'll get the point by...
Attached Images   
Old 09-14-2007, 01:41 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The best way to happily co-exist with your run group is to get to know them. People are more inclined to let "Paolo" pass than "that black race car".
Old 09-14-2007, 01:44 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 09-14-2007, 01:47 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

"God did not put me here
PLEASE LIFT!"

I like it. Very subtle !!!
Old 09-14-2007, 01:52 PM
TR6
Drifting

Yeah, but you sure seem to read and reply to them.....now, why is that?
Very true. I'll give you that. Your posts always seem to generate great advice that the rest of us benefit from. Such as Glen's excellent tips.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:07 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
+1
Greg and I have pointed each other by at multiple tracks. We razz each other mercilessly but at the track we go by the rules and extend courtesy to each other and our fellow drovers.

I have no ego about pointing anyone by no matter what they're driving. I've pointed by Mazdaspeeds, Celicas, WRX's etc, etc... I'm definitely not the fastest guy in my run group nor is that my objective. I am a total rookie and there will always be someone who is a better driver, has a much faster car or both. I prefer to point them by as quickly as possible so that I can go back to concentrating on learning and practicing without someone riding my ***.

I noticed in my run group for this weekend that there's a Viper RT10, Corvette Z06, GT2, GT3 and some kind of Maserati. They'll be mowing down my little targa like crazy. I'll probably just afix a mannequin arm sticking out my left window.

Quick Reply: Etiquette advice needed......