Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Etiquette advice needed......

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:14 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In all seriousness I am not messing with you. Talk to your CI about what they want you to accomplish prior to club racing and set a goal. You can also take the comp school with Nasa which alot of guys I know did. The Nasa school sounds like an even better stepping stone. You can also do Nasa DE's where upper groups have passing in the turns.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Here are some ideas I posted awhile back...should help alot in Your situation.

07-26-2004, 12:04 AM #16
Glen
Addict
Rennlist Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a couple of exercises I have always used at the track that will help with the problem of getting stuck behind slower traffic, or trains. When I start to gather traffic even in the Instructor groups I begin to drive off line and try to get through the corners as quick as the car ahead who is online. Another method is to cut the track in half and make the track You are on only half as wide. in one session run the left half and then try the right half. The last exercise is to drive the marbles line. All of these allow You to be a much quicker driver , or in a much quicker car and still allow You to drive at or near the limit while slowing you down effectively. These drills also make You much more prepared to handle adversity at various tracks whether in a DE or Race environ. Just a couple of thoughts.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:34 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Do as super models do....throw your cell phone out the window at them.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Bailey-86-MA
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glen - These are great ideas. A great way to have fun out there while continuing to learn instead of getting frustrated or spending valuable time driving through the pits to get some free track.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:43 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
how do you translate:

"Hey pal, you either need bigger mirrors, stronger prescription glasses or just plain learn how to drive, but you are holding me up with your fancy car and should stick your hand out as soon as you see me coming....." in a diplomatic, gentlemently, PCA approved version?
"I am a DE douchebag who thinks he's fast, when in fact I couldn't finish on the lead lap in a two lap race"

IMO, no one that is actually fast would ever say anything. Just get over it and move on. It's DE, and the number of good drivers is slim. I find that the people with the biggest egos at DEs are normally darn slow. And if you don't want to be held up, go racing.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
"I am a DE douchebag who thinks he's fast, when in fact I couldn't finish on the lead lap in a two lap race"

IMO, no one that is actually fast would ever say anything. Just get over it and move on. It's DE, and the number of good drivers is slim. I find that the people with the biggest egos at DEs are normally darn slow. And if you don't want to be held up, go racing.
Sort of what I said more subtly & with sarcasm....
Old 09-13-2007, 11:23 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Dan, I have tried that, but humans forget easily.....

Jupe, do you mean pass them without a point by (and get black flagged, unless it is a PCA race) or just let your 20 minutes/sessions go to waste?
They don't even black flag clubrace cheaters.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Jaws911
Pro

Glen, thanks, that was brilliant

Paolo - my 2 cents - I have been reading your posts since the beginning - the answer is clear - since you are so much faster than just than just about everyone in your run group (unless they have a turbo or R compounds), just tell the CI that it's time you were moved up - I'm sure he'll agree
Old 09-14-2007, 12:01 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

I always report "improper behavior." The CI should be aware. If other people also complain, then they will know there is a legit problem, and the more proactive of them will seek to rectify it before it gets worse. It does indeed help that I have been around for a while and know most of the CI's personally, and I do feel it is somewhat my duty to help EVERYONE out by being proactive. At least I try.

I also never hesitate to speak to the offender in person, if I feel the offense warrants it. I do not treat my fellow drivers with disrespect, and do not take it kindly when that courtesy is not extended to me. Not by way of picking a fight, but just to let them know that they could alter their behavior and make more friends too. Most times I get contrition. Occasionally I see that I was right in thinking they were an arsehole. Either way, I get more info on them to use accordingly, and as needed.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Paolo, what run group are you in now? If it's still an instructed group or the first solo group, then I'm not too surprised. Personally, I say to suck it up and deal with it. Glen gave some good advice on how to deal with it.

If you really can't stand traffic, find mid-week events to run in.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where's Brian Keith Smith when we need him? He's the inventor of the "You can pass me now" waiver, which he gets all the slower drivers in the fast run group to sign. The waiver allows him to pass (without a point-by) those who sign anywhere he can drive a straight line, however briefly. That's all a put-on (I hope), but it's a good one.

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 09-14-2007 at 12:06 AM. Reason: addition
Old 09-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
Where's Brian Keith Smith when we need him? He's the inventor of the "You can pass me now" waiver, which he gets all the slower drivers in the fast run group to sign. The waiver allows him to pass those who sign anywhere he can drive a straight line, however briefly. That's all a put-on (I hope), but it's a good one.
There's a difference between a slow driver in the top group, who should hopefully be aware enough of traffic that he is never late giving a passing signal and a driver who is still on the learning curve who may be overwhelmed in the group that he is in.

All I can say is that while it is frustrating being behind people who aren't watching their mirrors, just be careful not to get too close. If for some bizarre reason, they decide to lock up their brakes, they won't realize the possible danger of getting rear-ended because they don't know you are there.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"...in a diplomatic, gentlemently, PCA approved version?"
Like this...

"Gee! Nice car you got there!" Now "oh and ah" while he tells you about his baby.

Next, segway into something like, "Your car looks great from behind. I'm driving that ITA Ford Fiesta that's glued to your bumper through all the corners. I know your 997 GT3 has way more power, but I'm turning faster lap times. If you point me by, I'd appreciate it. Trust me, by the end of turn 7 I'll be out of your way."

Now go back to admiring his car for a bit more.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

In my region we take complaints about no signals seriously. Holding up faster cars risks creating a red-mist situation, moreso if trains are created.

If I get a complaint, I inform (politely) the offender that others have mentioned a failure to let cars pass. I also get oour flaggers to watch closely - waved blues ignored will get a black flag promptly.

We tack on track etiquette seriously. Drivers who are impolite will not get promoted to a higher run group until they learn to politely co-exist with others.

One thing to note is that some drivers in anticipation of getting a signal will pull way out to the side - where the guy in front cannot see them! Remember, many drivers do not have their outside mirrors adjusted correctly and you may be invisible to them.

Best,
Old 09-14-2007, 08:43 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Never break the DE rules (so no pass without a point).

2. Do mentally record everything -- so when you end your session you can calmly talk to the organizers and say "Car 123 was really holding things up -- I was in passing position behind him / her for laps, before I had to pit in to create a gap". On the way from your parked car to the organizers if you see the offending car, calmly say something like "Hi, I'm Paolo (extend hand for shake) -- I was behind you for a couple of laps last session and was wondering if you might give me a a point by next time..." Nice to talk directly, but when time is short you might have to go up the ladder.

Part of #2 is to also ask that the organizers ask the flagging stations to use the passing flags...

3. Get comfortable with coming into the pits every now and then -- it's just part of life.

My most recent frustration was at Cups & Saucers when I was pressing (flashed lights at him to wake him up) a race prepared 996GT3 for 2 laps -- he just wouldn't give a point by and when I gave up and backed off (figuring to pit-in), another car passed us both without a point by and got black flagged and I think ejected. Ironically, this was in the back straight and the black flag went out...

Quick Reply: Etiquette advice needed......