Great weekend at VIR....thanks to Potomac PCA! **UPDATE...VIDEO POSTED**

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:46 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Very SMMOOOOTTHHHH Dell!

Love the way you went through the uphill esses and your approach to the Carousel. I've gotta work on my line through there.

Very Nice! I think I'll save the link and send it to my future students when I have the "smoother is faster" talk.
If you want a better res clip let me know and I can get you a larger file to download.

What part of the track are you referring to as the "carousel"???

I owe my "smoothness" to my first instructor when I came to this region (Margo P). I now use this with all my students if they are NOT smooth. I have them agree to NOT try and set any fast laps, etc., and let's "just work on the line". Doing this I ask them to be as smooth as possible so that the line is what we are focusing on. Squeeze the accel and brake (and release in a "reverse squeeze") instead of treating them like on/off switches!

Never fails, as they ALWAYS end of shaving time off their fastest lap my way compared to their way. They have a hard time believing it so I take them out in my car with me behind the wheel for a "demonstration". Then they understand what I was trying to teach.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:01 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't the Carousel at the end of the back straight? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have to learn NOT to brake as hard on the first left hander and carry more speed to the right hander. I rode with a pro racer in a street car last year and all he did was lift and turn on that left hander then back on the gas for a short period. The brake pedal wasn't applied until the approach to the right hander and with me just hitting 130 or so I need to carry that speed (?) as long as possible...

I'd love a higer res of the video. Do you have my email?

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:02 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

My first instructor was David Murray and like your's he is very smooth, no violent motions just a gentle swaying as the car flew around Barber.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:07 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

That's actually called the Roller Coaster. I recently changed my entrance (and braking) to the racing line from the DE line. The DE line will have you come in from the right side of the track and then turn in to run down the left side of the left hander to set you up for a right hander down into the roller coaster.

The racing line has you brake VERY LATE (past the 1 marker!) using trailbraking for a slight left then a hard right to run down the Roller Coaster. This took me SEVERAL sessions to even come close to what I do now. It is scary as hell coming in a 150mph and then trailbrake

Once you nail it and realize how quick that line is you will never look back. I picked up a ton of time that way. I can't tell you how many times I have come into the braking zone at the back stretch coming up on somebody and then end up having to practially stop at the right hander facing the right side of a car heading down the roller coaster. Scares the crap out them! Of course, I would not teach that line to a student. Only the experienced drivers have the skillset (IMHO) to enter at that speed while trailbraking.

BTW, my approach to the climbing esses is from David Murray's technique

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll get you the video
Old 09-11-2007, 11:15 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just hit them hard at #1 back on gas slight tap at turn in and go !
Old 09-11-2007, 11:15 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Your cup car with new michelins will do a 1:58 maybe high 1:57, I have an even better source that tells me this
That's what I thought. I was surprised when I was told 2:00 was about its limit. Okay, back to my original goal of 2:00 flat this year and then maybe 1:58's later - baby steps. haha. Of course my name is NOT RSR Racer
I wish I could be out there with no DE traffic slowing me down - some clear laps would be nice for a change.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:41 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I wish I could be out there with no DE traffic slowing me down - some clear laps would be nice for a change.
For $10K you can have VIR all to yourself for a day
Old 09-11-2007, 12:26 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
For $10K you can have VIR all to yourself for a day
Actually, I think it is $5k.
Maybe a few of us could get together and rent it. If 10 good drivers could do it that would be nice.
Possible list:
Me
LVDell
ChrisL
VB997
BKS
A930Rocket
930man
??
??
??

Anyone interested?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:29 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

You guys need somebody to pass. I'm in!!

Last I heard though it was $11K, maybe that was just on the weekends...
Old 09-11-2007, 12:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Oops....you're right. I forgot that we would probably do it on a weekday. We'd spend 10K for a weekend. I'm all for a weekday.

$500 each for day of open track for 10 of us, you can definitely count me in! Of course the only limitation I would have is that I wouldn't be able to cancel class on any days I teach. Well, maybe I will just be...**cough cough** sick
Old 09-11-2007, 12:33 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Not meaning to carry this further but would it be worthwhile to jointly hire a pro for some extra help??
Old 09-11-2007, 12:37 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let me know if you guys rent the track. John Carey got a date for us last year in January. It would have been great but I broke within the first 30 minutes - stupid slave cylinder broke!

Just remember I'm down for a few weeks....
Old 09-11-2007, 12:39 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Not meaning to carry this further but would it be worthwhile to jointly hire a pro for some extra help??
It would be better for you to PERSONALLY hire a pro at a track day you attend. That way you have 1-on-1 instruction the entire time for the entire day.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
Actually, I think it is $5k.
Maybe a few of us could get together and rent it. If 10 good drivers could do it that would be nice.
Possible list:
Me
LVDell
ChrisL
VB997
BKS
A930Rocket
930man
??
??
??

Anyone interested?
Thanks for the inclusion. I would love to do something like that. Good luck finding a day on their 0 availability calendar.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I would recommend Chris Cervelli ("Premier Motorsp" here on Rennlist). Chris helped a few of us this spring. He is a very patient, skilled and present teacher. He was invaluable with my car set up and, most importantly, with making me faster.

Quick Reply: Great weekend at VIR....thanks to Potomac PCA! **UPDATE...VIDEO POSTED**