Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great weekend at VIR....thanks to Potomac PCA! **UPDATE...VIDEO POSTED**

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:02 PM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

If the wifey didn't have me on a budget I woulda asked about your seats too George! ;-)

-KJ
Old 09-10-2007, 07:03 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you drive long enough, push your self and the car, something is going to happen. It's just a matter of time.

Anybody who says something bad about a fellow DE participant is just a mean spirited person.

What's amazing is the difference it sounds like the track was from the Trackdaze event one week earlier. I had all the grip I needed those days.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:24 PM
MLIN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
If my wreck makes their day - to me that says enough about them... and why should the rest of us waste our time with 'em...
Well said. Glad to see you are okay, Brian.

It was hot as hell, but I had a great event. Spun at T1 and gone 4 off by turning in too early at the roller coaster right hander, but nothing major. Never felt quite comfortable from T1 to T4 (especially T3) but from there to front straight was good.

Nice meeting you, KJ and Drew.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

I had the best time I've had doing track days... In 7 sessions I ended up putting one rear tire off exiting T3 during the last session of the weekend, but managed to keep it in the right direction...

I made huge progress in blue and got an excellent write-up in my log book from Howard. It was the culmination of a lot of small changes to about 6 corners that really improved my line and allowed me to get more momentum, use less brake, and carry a smoother line around the course.

I'm truly stoked for the next outting... I also got recommended for the move up to white... Truly a great weekend, if a bit hot, and a bit slick!

Mike Kelly
Old 09-10-2007, 08:51 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

Brian I still remember the first DE you organized at CMP. You were so nervous about damaging your car or being around too much traffic.

How times have changed!

Glad you are OK.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a pretty good weekend. Like Dell said, the point-bys in black were very crisp from all but one or two. Some of my buddies were complaining about trains, but I honestly got a lot of open track and was able to lean on my car pretty hard when I wanted to. Had the nice guys at Sasco (1st time customer) mount some used Toyos for me Friday and I didn't have to touch my car all weekend except for oil, gas and tire pressures.

I didn't think it was all that slick, but maybe my lap times would say otherwise if I had taken some. My one off was a total brain fade into T1 and had nothing to do with the track. My primary student did very well and I was able to work with a couple other guys too.

Sucks about your offs Tony and Brian. I was impressed by how little damage you had Tony, when you consider your cage doesn't extend back very far at all, at least compared to mine. Glad you'll be putting it back together.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:46 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I had the best time I've had doing track days... In 7 sessions I ended up putting one rear tire off exiting T3 during the last session of the weekend, but managed to keep it in the right direction...

I made huge progress in blue and got an excellent write-up in my log book from Howard. It was the culmination of a lot of small changes to about 6 corners that really improved my line and allowed me to get more momentum, use less brake, and carry a smoother line around the course.

I'm truly stoked for the next outting... I also got recommended for the move up to white... Truly a great weekend, if a bit hot, and a bit slick!

Mike Kelly
If you are the guy in the black 996TT that was in blue - good job! My student was in a dark blue 997S and you and maybe 1 other guy were faster and doing better overall. I enjoyed instructing for the first time in a while - even though it was hot. My student did very well! He said he knew you and that you were wanting to go to white. Congrats if you got there. Remember to keep trying to learn and not to let bad habits set in since no one is there correcting any mistakes. I think you will do fine! You looked good this weekend from what I observed as you were in front of us or passing us.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

Matt, that was me... I know Lars from our weekend paddocked next to each other at Watkins Glen. We were both having brake issues... Kidnered spirits I guess...

It's good to get some feedback from outside the car. It felt great from inside, and other than putting that wheel off exiting T3 on the first session of day 3, I felt like I was improving all weekend.

I did get recommended for moving up, but will be looking for instruction periodically to keep me in check. My goal is to improve with time and move into black, then red when my skills allow. I hope to one day instruct along with those of you who give back to those of us still trying to learn this thing we do!

Mike Kelly
Old 09-10-2007, 10:40 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian I still remember the first DE you organized at CMP. You were so nervous about damaging your car or being around too much traffic.

How times have changed!

Glad you are OK.
April 25, 2001, my first ever track day with me, you, and E.J. That day kinda sucked, but I remember I was back at CMP 4 weeks later with POC and that's when it started clicking with me...

Look at me now... Fixing my banged-up car....

Man, we sure do love the track don't we...
Old 09-11-2007, 03:36 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

BK>>>>> sorry to hear aout car i am glad no injuries.. and i know you will have it back together quickly

SMALL... you were fourtunate to have Louis as an instructor good freind of mine who pretty much know the track as well as anyone..

Matt E. ummm your green cup WILL do 2:01 unless your added paint slowed it down..... pretty sure i have some good sources that tells mi it will do a 2:01 ....lol
Old 09-11-2007, 07:43 AM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
SMALL... you were fourtunate to have Louis as an instructor good freind of mine who pretty much know the track as well as anyone..
Yeah, Matt, I felt lucky. It helped to raise my level of attention to learn (from his friend) that he is a very good racer and an instructor for Skip Barber school. More importantly, though, you could tell that he is really passionate about teaching, which you don't see that often. Too bad he removed the passenger seat from his car, I wish I was able to hitch a ride with him (I understand the reasons, though).
Old 09-11-2007, 07:52 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
BK

Matt E. ummm your green cup WILL do 2:01 unless your added paint slowed it down..... pretty sure i have some good sources that tells mi it will do a 2:01 ....lol
Your cup car with new michelins will do a 1:58 maybe high 1:57, I have an even better source that tells me this
Old 09-11-2007, 08:38 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Just uploaded a couple laps from this past weekend on You Tube Video.
VIDEO LINK

Last edited by LVDell; 09-11-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:12 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

rsr ... i never broke the 2:01 the car but i am sure ity is capable!!!! i didnt keep the car long enough!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:36 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Just uploaded a couple laps from this past weekend on You Tube Video.
VIDEO LINK
Very SMMOOOOTTHHHH Dell!

Love the way you went through the uphill esses and your approach to the Carousel. I've gotta work on my line through there.

Very Nice! I think I'll save the link and send it to my future students when I have the "smoother is faster" talk.

Quick Reply: Great weekend at VIR....thanks to Potomac PCA! **UPDATE...VIDEO POSTED**