Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great weekend at VIR....thanks to Potomac PCA! **UPDATE...VIDEO POSTED**

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 10:37 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

One of those incidents was me- I pinched Turn 10 and had my first high speed off in years. Right after TK had hit the wall in the same place. Scared the crap out of me but fortunately the ego was was the only injury. I slowed down and drove much better on Saturday- and also had two terrific students.

I love the place but it could have used a good thundershower before we got there. And I wish they'd pave the infield before they build more condos. The dust and dirt got into everything.

A special thanks to Tuffy, Ralf and Tom B. for their hard work. Tom tried hard to get short sleeves OK'd.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First session behind TK for his problem in 10; next session George disappears in 10 and totally obscures the track with a very thick cloud of dust. Thank you for keeping your foot on the brake. These two first hand observations led me to be extremely circumspect in T10. It was great meeting BKS for the first time (in person); although, we exchanged emails in the past dealing with student issues. Beautiful car -- very nicely prepared!! It looks like it will be back soon!! Unfortunately it does not look like the same can be said for TKS car.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:27 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Herod
Unfortunately it does not look like the same can be said for TKS car.
Was that the white 944?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:34 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alan:

Nice to meet you as well. Thanks for the compliments on the car. Looks like it will (or can) be back soon.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:46 AM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Brian,

We didn't get to meet in the paddock, but I was certainly quick to give you that point by whenever I saw you on the track! Sorry to see your car was among those damaged this weekend.

I certainly thought the track was slippery this weekend. Watching a buddy of mine work his way through most of the black group and then see his data confirmed it how slow it was. Well, except for Dell. Good lap. I think Einstein also cranked out a banger in his GT3 RS before he had issues with it.

-KJ
Old 09-10-2007, 12:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

KJ, who was your buddy in black? There was some great drivers in black. Seemed like ALOT of 944's and older 911's. Some of the most aware drivers I have ever been on the track with. Kudos to them for awesome anticipatory point-bys. They were giving them in the corners so exit speed was full out for a seamless pass. Looking forward to running with that group again
Old 09-10-2007, 12:24 PM
davearm
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also want tho thank George for his instruction. I have to VIR many times, but he showed me some different, non-typical DE lines that were flat out thrilling. Would love to have him ride along any time.

Dave
Old 09-10-2007, 01:28 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

It was a good event - but too hot for my tastes. I am a wimp when it comes to the heat. The track was also very slippery!
Brian, sorry to hear about your incident. Another guy I know had an off there on Sunday and did some damage to his 993.

Dell, I guess if you turned a 2:10 in those conditions you will probably be in the 2:08's or 2:09's next time out! Just line up behind Brian and play chase the rabbit. Or if I have my RS out next time we can play.

KJ, I had a pretty decent session in the RS on Friday - ran 2:09's pretty consistent in the one session until my engine light came on. I really think the RS can do 2:05-2:06 in great conditions on Hoosier's with stock suspension. It is a very cool car.
I had fun running the Green Cup car the rest of the time - although I was not thrilled with the times - mostly 2:05's - 2: 06's with a few 2:04's in there. I let Bob Miller from AtSpeed take it out in Black and he only did 2:05-2:06 as well. Traffic and temps were to blame for that. He said my car is capable of 2:01's in his opinion - maybe 2:00.xx if he was scaring himself. 2:00 was my goal for that car this fall - maybe I should just shoot for the 2:01's. The traffic in RED was very frustrating for me. Some guys were just oblivious and clueless! At one point I got so mad at some guy in a silver GT3 that I really wanted to ram into the back of him. I had to back off and cool my temper. Some guys in Red should have been in White! And some people there had some BIG ego's - not wanting to let certain ones pass and holding them up for half the track.
Anyway, I had fun and look forward to the next VIR event.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:27 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Great to see everyone and meeting Dell. Always hate to see bent sheet metal, esp. when it is one (or two!) of your buddies. Also sorry to see Dave have problems w/ his RSA engine. Chris L, thanks for the ride, you are smooth, fast and consistent.

Scrubbed the new BFG R-1s in on Friday morn, ran the RA-1s on Friday afternoon to dial in my shocks and my driving, which was WAY out synch. Put the R1s on Sat morn and started getting used to them, but the heat was sapping the HP and me. Got blacked flagged for (inside) tire rub and added a 3 mm spacer, then 3 more to take care of it (thanks Bob!). The 245s up front and the 275s are wider than the R6s in the same size. Damn those things gripped though!

Sunday morn was a bit cooler, but still 10-15? degrees hotter than when I set my best time in April. My best time of the weekend per the hotlap was 8/100ths slower than April, but the DL-1 showed the exact same time to the 100th. I think with cooler weather and better/smoother driving from me I can get another second +. I wasn’t even getting into 5th at the back straight, where in April I was right at the crest of the hill. My top speed on my fast lap was 135 and IIRC, my top speed in April was 140, so I think the R1s are the real deal. Amazing to me that the times are so close at events four months apart w/ different weather (hp) and tires.

Anyway, here is the vid, an unofficial D class record at 2:11:85 (as was April’s time), from what I can see researching the old VIR records (IIRC, Charles Price ran a 2:13:1, I think a Euro RS replica). It isn’t pretty, but it worked I guess. There are probably many more unofficial records out there I know. As bad as T3 and T4 look (and I agree w/ the others that there wasn’t much grip there), those were my only fastest segments of that lap from the 8 lap session. (?!). Theoretical best was only .15 lower though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5T6MkzMG4Q

Oh, and looking forward to getting a tow vehicle someday, 900/750 lb springs and no a/c on I-95 at 90 degrees sucks. Maybe next year.

Jim

P.S. Hey Matt, good seeing you, you are right about Red traffic……I think I gave you a point by once coming out of South Bend (and a few more), hopefully you didn’t miss a tenth.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:37 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forklift

Anyway, here is the vid, an unofficial D class record at 2:11:85 (as was April’s time), from what I can see researching the old VIR records (IIRC, Charles Price ran a 2:13:1, I think a Euro RS replica). It isn’t pretty, but it worked I guess. There are probably many more unofficial records out there I know. As bad as T3 and T4 look (and I agree w/ the others that there wasn’t much grip there), those were my only fastest segments of that lap from the 8 lap session. (?!). Theoretical best was only .15 lower though.

P.S. Hey Matt, good seeing you, you are right about Red traffic……I think I gave you a point by once coming out of South Bend (and a few more), hopefully you didn’t miss a tenth.
I am glad you had good lap times - you rock in that car.

You never hold anyone up - you are always quick with the point bys to faster cars (even though it is probably the horsepower and not the skill that makes them faster) as far as I have noticed. It is usually the guys in higher horsepower cars that are not very good drivers that hold up the faster guys - this time it was mainly a 996 turbo and a 996 GT3 MK1 with blue and red stripes. (I hope they aren't Rennlist guys )
Old 09-10-2007, 02:39 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

By the way, this was the first time seeing my Green cup out on the track without me driving. That is one sweet looking car - if I must say so myself. I have to try and get some pics and post them here.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:41 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Once I came out of Oak Tree - this is no lie - I look up ahead and half way down the back straight (its 4000 ft long for those of you who don't know), and Jimbo already had his arm out the window for me...

I was laughin my head off...
Old 09-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Overall it was a great weekend. I hate it for my friend Brian Keith Smith. In fact what I REALLY hate is for those who have had their feelings hurt on this board by his comments in the past retaliate by stating " he got what he deserved" as one person did! I was not present but another good friend of his was and did the right thing by calling the guy on it.

We all take risks out there and if the person who said that happens to read this remember that you are no different. You take risks with your life and your car each and every time you go out on the track. If you feel that it is a good thing to wish someone bad luck while out there I care not to run with you. . . or for that matter to even associate with you.

There is NO room for that attitude at the track period!

Good luck getting her fixed BKS.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Now I would like to say thank you to Jim Evans for his help this weekend. I have enjoyed all the assistance he has given to me in the past with regards to set up. It is obvious from his times/video that the guy is good behind the wheel.

Thanks again and please tell your friend (whose name slips me at the moment) thanks again for the dinner.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again soon.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:37 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian
Did you get my PM?
Really sorry to hear about that.
You ARE OK...right???

Quick Reply: Great weekend at VIR....thanks to Potomac PCA! **UPDATE...VIDEO POSTED**