Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
...and cameraderie.

Far cheaper answer: Get a dog.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

But also consider that an E or F car would not be able to keep up with the cars in my region's red group (not that I'm an instructor, but perhaps some day)....
I've run my F class race car in the red group with several different PCA regions. Its definitely not a problem. No matter what you drive there will always be someone with a faster car.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Chulo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But also consider that an E or F car would not be able to keep up with the cars in my region's red group (not that I'm an instructor, but perhaps some day)....
A 964 that is prepared will keep up with just about anything (non cup, of course), and not be terribly expensive. They are a ton of fun.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:51 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rabjohns
I currently DE an '04 996 GT3 in group 1.

I would like to club race next year. I am trying to work out what car:

- Take my stock "ish" GT3 and turn it into a race car - regret not getting a cup

- Buy a cheaper 944 and learn how to find momentum with less cost but miss the power and spend a lot of time fixing things that break

- Buy a 993RS to retain the back end experience, worry about mechanicals

- Pony up for a cup car the car I think I really want. Ignore the costs.

Are my assumptions about each car true? Has anybody faced the same decision?
Contact TD in DC... He will have nice experience.

Also Larry Herrman sold a street GT3 to go race a 964 RS America.

Personally I race a 944 spec car. 2600lbs with driver and all of 134 whp. It does not sound really amazing, but the costs are low the fun is very high. In my area we have a strong group of 944 spec cars and that makes the racing fun. I have learned more about racing in this class than probably any other class in my area. We have some 5-15 cars per race and all race hard. My last race was a 90 minute no stops enduro. Going into the final lap I was 1 car lenght behind the 2nd place car and 3 car lenghts behind the first place car. In short sprint races I have finshed less than 1 second behind first in class more times than I can count. That is is what racing is all about.

As for speed our cars are not fast, but the best 944 spec cars run in the lower 1/2 to lower 1/3 of F class field. Then again I really don't care about overall speed when running 2 feet of the bumper of the car infront work hard to make pass. Who cares if we are going 60 mph or 120 mph.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:10 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A CUP will be lighter and brake a lot better, handle a little better and has the same engine as your GT3. If your walet can spare it, jump in and start spending.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

To anyone who thinks an F car isn't fast, you might want to study the qualifying chart from last Sunday's Enduro at Road America

http://www.pca.org/clubrace/2007_res...Qualifying.htm

BTW, Road America is a horsepower track that favors those B,C,D and E cars.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Mike, that is indeed interesting data. My concern was about running in a fast DE group where the lowest HP car is around 300 HP and where there are several 500-600 HP cars. A really good driver (I am told, not being one myself) may be able to run with higher HP cars, but that much higher HP?

I'll know a lot more next month after I drive the Glen in a 944S2. That will also be my first time on Hoosiers, too. I'm using Nitto NT01s this year myself....
Old 09-07-2007, 04:33 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
To anyone who thinks an F car isn't fast, you might want to study the qualifying chart from last Sunday's Enduro at Road America

http://www.pca.org/clubrace/2007_res...Qualifying.htm

BTW, Road America is a horsepower track that favors those B,C,D and E cars.
But Mike you know how the C times have suffered since I move on.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:47 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike, that is indeed interesting data. My concern was about running in a fast DE group where the lowest HP car is around 300 HP and where there are several 500-600 HP cars. A really good driver (I am told, not being one myself) may be able to run with higher HP cars, but that much higher HP?

I'll know a lot more next month after I drive the Glen in a 944S2. That will also be my first time on Hoosiers, too. I'm using Nitto NT01s this year myself....
I'm glad you're going to try the 944 S2. I built one loosely modeled after Karl Poetl's race winning car but configured for NASA rules so it is lighter, has an LSD and bigger brakes.

The car is very easy to drive fast in the corners (where all the fun is) and can brake as good as anything I've seen on the track. Yes, I will get passed on the straights by well driven GT3's & Cups but when I catch up to (some of) them in the braking zone & corners eventually they get tired of seeing me in their mirrors and I get by them.

There is A LOT of satisfaction passing a car that has twice the HP that you have because we all know why it happened

NASA has a Super Cup Series (S2's and turbo's) and their times at VIR are in the mid 2: teens while a well driven and set up GT3 is probably around 2:10 to 2:12 (I think) so the spped difference is not that much.

I hope you enjoy it.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JimB
But Mike you know how the C times have suffered since I move on.

You are sorely missed in C

We were counting on you to run down Charlie Jupe and Colin
Old 09-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Eddie, you give me heart!

How much difference is there between yours and Karl's, that is between PCA CR and NASA rules?
Old 09-07-2007, 04:59 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi

You are sorely missed in C

We were counting on you to run down Charlie Jupe and Colin
According to the chart you put up, I'd have been waiting for them.

Just kidding! I'm not trying to start a fight! I sure miss mixing it up with those guys.

BTW, I love 944S2s and I love F class. It is, along with GTC3, the wildest class in club racing. I would say though that if I had a GT3 and someday wanted to race a cup car, I would do my training in a 996. I think staying in the 996 family has some real advantages in terms of learning how to drive and set up the cars. 944s are very different beasts.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:09 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Eddie, you give me heart!

How much difference is there between yours and Karl's, that is between PCA CR and NASA rules?
Basically, the difference between PCA and NASA is that NASA allows more modification i.e completely stripping the interior, an LSD, Full suspension and brakes are free.

I'm not up on all the nuances as I am just DEing the car now so "we" can become better aquainted with eachother but as with any low HP car if you can't make it quicker (the engine is stock) you need to make it lighter and that has really improved the handeling and braking performance of the car.

A good friend of mine from NC bought a professionally built clone of Karl's car then stripped it. It is one quick little red car. I think he paid around 20 or so for it.

The main reason I got this car when I decided to buy a dedicated track car was because there are about half a dozen of us in our local PCA club and now that I have progressed up to their level (instructor) I can (try to) run with them which as you probably know is what it's all about.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

$20 would be a good price for that car!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

If they have that much power, and are well-driven, you're right, you can't keep up.

Is there a reason you need to be in the fastest run group.

Quick Reply: What car?