Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are turbo drivers just that more talented......

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:37 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill935K3
He who is faster in the corners is truely fastest!
Nature of the Beast RE turbos (rookie turbo drivers need awareness) the nice thing for me was after a while I could keep up to guys like Castagna, Savanor and Scotto because of the turbo and thus get faster in the corners.
But too: for years at DE's I heard some of the "he is only faster on the straits"
I lasted 3 DE's in a 3.0 SE before I got my 930, here are some photos of how that car progresed. I hear NER folkes were taking bets, I was pretty proud not to really bend this one for over 5 years
Sweet ! Yeah starting in a 930 turbo is tough , I would recommend starting in something slow and easy to drive , like a BMW ....or a boxster
Old 09-05-2007, 08:39 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I started with a turbo car and really think that turbo guys do get a bad wrap. There are positives to driving a turbo car, for example a turbo car teaches you is to be smooth. Not all turbo car drivers are slow in the corners.

They are just jealous Geoffrey , I have to admit driving an NA 10 seconds a lap slower , you do get time to see the scenary and enjoy the track more , wave at the Corner workers etc,
Old 09-05-2007, 08:46 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yur a trouble maker, arntcha?

That big whack of power is a hinderance. Most turbo drivers you'll run across (OVER!) will never reach a high potential because they are justifiably afraid of that boost spike hitting mid corner. Real driving takes place between the turn in and apex. They tend to be point and shoot drivers, and that's not real driving.

Learning to manage boost and be really fast in the corners is an art. Not many are good at it.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:58 AM
phils87951
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
+1

Please Save Me came on often for a lot of Turbo drivers at Calabogie on the weekend.
really? it seemed different from my point of view.... till my HG blew in a very big way during the samplers.(waste gate feed line failure.)

one of the big advantages of turbo's is that we have gobs of torque available in the mid range. It gets us out of the corners at full tilt boogie woogie.

And well yes some of us are more talented LOL
Attached Images  

Last edited by phils87951; 09-05-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:18 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the same can be said about any high HP car as a first car (turbo, GT3, 997 etc.). The limits are so much higher in a well prepared high hp car that it is difficult to safely expand your learning. A high HP car in the DE world frequently goes fast down the straight only to be in line in the turns and then hurry down the next staight to be in line until the next passing zone. Especially in the PCA DE world when there is no ability to learn passing in the corners. It is much easier to drive a car with HP closer to the others on the track than a huge difference 200 vs 400 hp. Anyone brake checking in a DE is just an a$$ looking for trouble. For me it is more enjoyable when others on the track drive similar lap times.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:23 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Yur a trouble maker, arntcha?
Are you referring to me?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:26 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also learned how to drive on the track in a bone stock 77 3.0 Turbo 930 and learned how to drive it on street tires not even R compounds.

So I got used to unusual handling LOL.

I will say as I get older - I think I am compensating for other things with HP LOL.

On a serious note - I have more fun in Europe running normally aspirated race cars than turbo cars.

It was a big help running an E-stock car for a couple of years along with GT to help smooth out some of the habits I had forming :-)

Norm
Old 09-05-2007, 09:28 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngoldrich
I also learned how to drive on the track in a bone stock 77 3.0 Turbo 930 and learned how to drive it on street tires not even R compounds.

So I got used to unusual handling LOL.

I will say as I get older - I think I am compensating for other things with HP LOL.

On a serious note - I have more fun in Europe running normally aspirated race cars than turbo cars.

It was a big help running an E-stock car for a couple of years along with GT to help smooth out some of the habits I had forming :-)

Norm
Norm, only stuck have more seat time @ the ring than you , so you do not count
Old 09-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
Well a turbo driver did turn a 2:11 this weekend at Road America.
Was that the black/yellow Shell monster? The turbo on that thing sounded like a jet turbine!

Boston - come to Road America, where horsepower (and 964 cups) are king. Guys in 996/993 turbos can knock out a 2.40 flat with ease. A very good F driver has to work his Hoosiers to their limits to break that +-, of course. Turbos are tons of fun, they just are not the same animal as a NA.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:43 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

A. Wayne - you're funny thx LOL

Norm
Old 09-05-2007, 09:49 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Learning to manage boost and be really fast in the corners is an art. Not many are good at it.
Boost or no boost, being fast in the corners is an art. Turbo boost just adds an additional element that na cars don't offer.

Keep in mind not all turbos have gobs of power. My car is barely pushing 200hp with a turbo. Since rpm's are rarely below 3000, there is no turbo lag, no boost spikes, etc. It's really no different than driving a naturally aspirated car with equivalent hp. I started out in a 944 na with 140hp so I have first hand experience in both.

I think a lot of the comments being made are more suitable to high hp turbo cars. Not all turbo cars have 600hp. There are a lot of generalizations being made here.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:31 AM
PT
Racer

So true.... many of us don't have nanny-help so actually have more (boost) to manage than just how to get around the corner fast. On track like Calabogie, turbo advantage is actually not that huge because of the way the turns are linked. Always-on torque of the GT3 would actually be way more usable there.

Originally Posted by sjanes
Besides, if you brake check a turbo at the apex and drop them off boost, you can get a head start. Not that I would do that
Yes, stacy is known to "not" do that
Old 09-05-2007, 11:14 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I am just trying to learn how is it possible that on the turns I am parked on their bumpers, regardless of the track, and then all of a sudden I get distanced on the straights?
Anyone can go fast in a straight line.

If you really want to know what it feels like to get pulled run 130 whp 944!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:16 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chulo

Boston - come to Road America, where horsepower (and 964 cups) are king. Guys in 996/993 turbos can knock out a 2.40 flat with ease. A very good F driver has to work his Hoosiers to their limits to break that +-, of course. Turbos are tons of fun, they just are not the same animal as a NA.
I would love to, but I am still on street tires......
Old 09-05-2007, 11:19 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
Anyone can go fast in a straight line.

If you really want to know what it feels like to get pulled run 130 whp 944!
What?

Now you guys want me to buy another even lower powered track car? Why don't I just jog on the track.........

Quick Reply: Are turbo drivers just that more talented......