Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road America Challenge Photos (more photos post 4)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007 | 10:57 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Sorry to the DE crowd. It was the time I used to walk teh paddock, eat food, pull the kid in the wagon.
Old 09-04-2007 | 12:11 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
Thanks Joe. Nice shot....
Old 09-04-2007 | 01:35 AM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
I don’t think there was an accident, just the engine that blew in T1. I was watching it, and that thing grenaded in spectacular fashion...you couldn't even see he other side of the track the smoke was so think.

he pace car was going way too slow. I saw on cup have to pull off in T1 and shut it off, They finally brought them in too cool off All in all, it shortened that enduro by 30 mins.
Actually the pace car was sent out with a requested speed of 40 mph. The problem was that the rest of the field didn't form up, ended up being scattered and running past the safety workers too quickly - which correctly refused to work under those conditions. The pace car then was requested to slow down to gather the field and get it under control, but with a field of 79 cars (starting) it just wasn't manageable, the pace car brought them in on the next lap to cool off. The original plan was to have the field form up properly and drive AROUND the clean up crew at 40 mph. Don't blame the PCA guys. . .

Dal.
Old 09-04-2007 | 06:19 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dal Heger
Actually the pace car was sent out with a requested speed of 40 mph. The problem was that the rest of the field didn't form up, ended up being scattered and running past the safety workers too quickly - which correctly refused to work under those conditions. The pace car then was requested to slow down to gather the field and get it under control, but with a field of 79 cars (starting) it just wasn't manageable, the pace car brought them in on the next lap to cool off. The original plan was to have the field form up properly and drive AROUND the clean up crew at 40 mph. Don't blame the PCA guys. . .
Brian did announce that at the meeting on Mon. The accordian effect is just too big with that many cars...way hard for the people at the back to maintain a consistent speed.

Anyway it was a great race! The traffic actually made it more fun (though i did get grumpy when i could see DrJupe getting away thru the traffic...sorry 'bout that).

Last edited by 38D; 09-04-2007 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-04-2007 | 11:07 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Nice video, but it was a bit freaky seeing the tow truck on the side of the track while you guys were at full speed. Not really sure about how safe that is.
Old 09-04-2007 | 11:10 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJF1
Nice video, but it was a bit freaky seeing the tow truck on the side of the track while you guys were at full speed. Not really sure about how safe that is.
I must say that it felt kind of weird...
Old 09-04-2007 | 11:18 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Race results?
Old 09-04-2007 | 11:40 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Last weekend at the SCCA race I think I passed the trucks at least 5 separate times. The big thing that should be done is to just inform the drivers that they will be doing this, the white flag will indicate it's happening and that the truck crew will readily radio in, anyone who is driving dumb around them.
Old 09-04-2007 | 12:10 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJF1
That's just how they roll up there...I think its all the cheese they eat.

The wreckers take alot of pride in keeping the track green for everyone else while they do their job...they are the best in the business.
Old 09-04-2007 | 12:19 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
Some video from of the enduro that gives a flavor of how intense it was: 2007 Road America
Colin, nice driving...impressed by the inside move into Turn 6.

Our group was setup right next to the Hairy Dog truck, but never saw you around your car.
Old 09-04-2007 | 12:34 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

I was doing the DE in the slow group but still very fast. Lots of carnage but the usual for RA. Had a few buddies stuff thier cars in the Kink or right after the carousel a few toasted clutches too.

Colin, That was me that came up and asked if you area aka 38D. You were a little busy to talk but you were driving great. Your were flat going into T7 were others were braking.

Also, a huge thumbs up to the RA Safety crew. The truck at T5 was very busy towing cars and picking up bumper covers. Plus it's nothing like seeing someone race the truck up to T6.

I also saw the #42 356 off at T3 first hand. His car definately did not come back in the way it went out. Medical was great and they took their time getting the driver out. I'm sure the full cage saved him from serious injury. He pretty much skiped across the gravel pit and broad-sided the tire wall at speed.

The number of GTC3 / 4 cars was great. They had to grid the cars for both enduro's on the false grid and the paddock too.

Here is my photo contributions. You can tell I was a little biased to some cars.

Mantissport going into the carousel

38D and the carousel.

Then heading into the Kink.

Start of the Enduro going up the hill to the front straight.

on the grid for the enduro

All the cup cars for the enduro. This is the over-heat lap.

Old 09-04-2007 | 12:47 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

It was great seeing everyone. What a weekend for racing.

Charlie and Colin, I stopped by but never caught up to you.

Kevin, it was fun racing together again.

Joe, nice pictures.

The safety team at RA is the best. What we have to work on is the mentality of some PCA racers that think a yellow flag is their chance to make up time on the cars in front of them. How can it make sense to somebody to blow through corners where there are safety workers standing in the gravel traps?

Jim
Old 09-04-2007 | 12:57 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by JimB
It was great seeing everyone. What a weekend for racing.

Charlie and Colin, I stopped by but never caught up to you.

Kevin, it was fun racing together again.

Joe, nice pictures.

The safety team at RA is the best. What we have to work on is the mentality of some PCA racers that think a yellow flag is their chance to make up time on the cars in front of them. How can it make sense to somebody to blow through corners where there are safety workers standing in the gravel traps?

Jim

Jim,
I am glad we got to meet after the enduro. BTW, that was me giving you the big thumbs up for qualifying. We should talk more about making your old 996 a v3.0 car from what we talked about.
Old 09-04-2007 | 01:01 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Old 09-04-2007 | 01:07 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: Road America Challenge Photos (more photos post 4)