Sponsored by:

Simple Daytona Prototype Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 03:57 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Simple Daytona Prototype Question

Why are there red lights inside the cockpits???
Old 08-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

To light up the dash and instrumentation.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't speak for the DP's, but back in my flying days, we used red dash lights because they do not mess up your night vision. Once you get use to the dark, a bright light like white dash lights will lessen your night vision. Red lights do not. Something to do with rods or cones, but I have long since forgotten.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 08-11-2007, 06:19 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

It's not so much that you are dealing with rods or cones since ALL color is viewed with cones. What helps is the placement on the visual spectrum of light that red resides on (extreme end....highest wavelength just before infrared). Since cones do NOT respond well in dim light you want a color at the far end of the spectrum unlike a color like lime-green (right in the middle). This is one of the very reasons they went to lime-green fire engines. It is VERY easy to see a lime-green fire engine at night as opposed to the traditional red. Hope that helps.

Long story short? It is softer on the eyes to give illumination at the wavelength of red
Old 08-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing the question is about the red lights you can see through the windshield.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:17 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Tod,
Thanks for the pic. That's exactly what I'm axin 'bout. In your pic, you can see the red lights in the SunTrust car and the red car in the background. When watching the DP's race, the red lights are visible during daytime racing when the cars presumably don't require interior lights to see the guages and instruments.

What gives???
Old 08-11-2007, 11:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Maybe they are on all the time in case the lighting (exterior) changes abruptly?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:28 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
It's not so much that you are dealing with rods or cones since ALL color is viewed with cones. What helps is the placement on the visual spectrum of light that red resides on (extreme end....highest wavelength just before infrared). Since cones do NOT respond well in dim light you want a color at the far end of the spectrum unlike a color like lime-green (right in the middle). This is one of the very reasons they went to lime-green fire engines. It is VERY easy to see a lime-green fire engine at night as opposed to the traditional red. Hope that helps.

Long story short? It is softer on the eyes to give illumination at the wavelength of red
ROY G BIV is a mnemonic devise to remember the optical spectrum in the order of decreasing wavelengths. Created by Sir Issac newton.....

red
orange
yellow
green
brown
indigo
violet
Old 08-12-2007, 12:29 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

JR.......doesn't everybody know that mnemonic?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:01 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

They are actually the cars rear lights. There is just no interior panel to prevent them from reflecting forward. I was wondering the same thing, then heard the announcers mention it once.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:48 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, but makes perfect sense. But why is the brake light red??
Old 08-12-2007, 02:41 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
Tod,
Thanks for the pic. That's exactly what I'm axin 'bout. In your pic, you can see the red lights in the SunTrust car and the red car in the background. When watching the DP's race, the red lights are visible during daytime racing when the cars presumably don't require interior lights to see the guages and instruments.

What gives???
If you look the cars' headlights are also on, they're probably all on the same switch.

Originally Posted by rmag
They are actually the cars rear lights. There is just no interior panel to prevent them from reflecting forward. I was wondering the same thing, then heard the announcers mention it once.
What? There's a solid bulkhead behind the driver. Next you'll tell me they can see out the rear window.

Last edited by Kurt R; 03-01-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rmag

What? You are confused. They are simply to light up the gauges, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,663 Likes on 857 Posts

Nupe, these guys are full of it.

Those lights (only on the DP cars) are on to alert GT cars that they are coming. It is a visual aid to make the car in front of them in a different class aware of their presence.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Nupe, these guys are full of it.

Those lights (only on the DP cars) are on to alert GT cars that they are coming. It is a visual aid to make the car in front of them in a different class aware of their presence.
+1

Quick Reply: Simple Daytona Prototype Question