Sponsored by:

Simple Daytona Prototype Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

It's a laser beam that can be used cause a tire blow out on a GT car mid corner to get them to spin out of the way.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:39 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now I don't know a lot about the rules for these cars, but I am surprised you could even see those red lights, at night, in a rear view mirror. And it would be at night that a slower class car would need the assist to know what class car is behind them.

My guess (and it is just a guess) is that those are power indicator lights on some electronics mounted to the bulkhead. I didn't see anything about such required lights in the DP rules, but maybe the rules have been modified.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,663 Likes on 857 Posts

Mark, it's not for at night. It's primarily for bright daylight conditions, IIRC.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:56 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
Why are there red lights inside the cockpits???
So much for "simple" right? It sure would be nice if somebody that WAS familiar with DP cars could give you a real answer for their placement in the cockpit. As far as night illumination, my answer was the scientific one to explain the "how" rather than the "why". Now if we could just get somebody to give you the real answer for the "why" they are there.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:42 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt R
If you look the cars' headlights are also on, they're probably all on the same switch.

What? There's a solid bulkhead behind the driver. Next you'll tell me they can see out the rear window.

Now I'm confused by looking at the picture. Guess the 2 clowns in the announcers booth didn't know what the heck they were talking about.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Nupe, these guys are full of it.

Those lights (only on the DP cars) are on to alert GT cars that they are coming. It is a visual aid to make the car in front of them in a different class aware of their presence.
Surely you are kidding. The GT cars have yellow lenses over their headlights so the GT cars know that the clear headlights are those of a faster DP car.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
So much for "simple" right? It sure would be nice if somebody that WAS familiar with DP cars could give you a real answer for their placement in the cockpit. As far as night illumination, my answer was the scientific one to explain the "how" rather than the "why". Now if we could just get somebody to give you the real answer for the "why" they are there.

I have been in a DP car, know a crew chief for a team and he confirmed what I stated. It is to light up the instrument cluster. Look at how the red lights are offset from the driver.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Greg, thanks for confirming. I supplied the how and you supplied the why. Now the rest of the rhetoric in this thread will be comic relief
Old 08-12-2007, 02:05 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Now the rest of the rhetoric in this thread will be comic relief
Boy do I feel silly ... I am laughing at myself now Next time I'm putting the TV on mute! Greg ... thanks for clarifying!
Old 08-12-2007, 02:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Totally off topic, but Ryan I got the OBD plug. Thanks so much for dropping that in the mail!
Old 08-12-2007, 03:17 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The lights are on in the DP only races that exclude the GT cars.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,663 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Surely you are kidding. The GT cars have yellow lenses over their headlights so the GT cars know that the clear headlights are those of a faster DP car.
So? DP cars' headlights are at ground level. Good luck seeing them in your mirrors when sitting in a GT car. Most DP cars I have seen have self-illuminating instruments. In fact, the vast majority have a single LED/LCD Motec display. So they don't need illumination from behind the driver. I know several DP drivers, and they are the source of what I posted.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:22 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Totally off topic, but Ryan I got the OBD plug. Thanks so much for dropping that in the mail!
Enjoy - BTW to hold the cable firmer with the 2 clips, just wrap some electrical tape around the cable to "thicken" it where the clips are.. This will hold it snug.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Sweet! Thanks Ryan

....and now back to our regularly scheduled program of the Rennlist pissin' contest.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:17 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dash lights. I have heard the announcers explain this many times sometimesincluding that this is the required method for DP cars.

Quick Reply: Simple Daytona Prototype Question