Sponsored by:

Hans.. who wears it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:11 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Always when I race, sometimes on MSR member days.

An issue I have on member days is that the track entry onto the course at MSR requires you to turn your head a pretty fair amount to see oncoming traffic. The 1.7m entry is a little easier but on the 3.1m you really have to look at the traffic as you drive parallel to course before reaching the entry. If you stop at the entry to 'double-check' for traffic you can't turn your head enough to see anything with a Hans on. With Cup Cars on the track, it doesn't take long for a car to appear out of nowhere. On track entry, I feel safer without a Hans as I know for sure I am free from traffic.

Is anyone else having this problem at MSR-Cresson?
I have never been to that track but I would advise they you request a corner worker to be stationed there to be your eyes. The track I visit all have track entiries that make it darn near impossible to see cars coming in. This is HANS or not. So common practice is to have the corner workers watch for a gap and wave you on.

This is one area our local NASA region is pushing all the time. Making sure our corner & grid workers are aware of the limited head turning of HANS equipped racers or DE participants. Racers also need to be aware that after spin in the grass you may need to move the car differently so you can see the corner workers or get a clear view fo the track.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car has 5+ point harnesses, the HANS is on.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Probably a stupid question, but what is an "R3"?
Old 07-09-2007, 03:51 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick E
Probably a stupid question, but what is an "R3"?
http://www.lfttech.com/
Old 07-09-2007, 04:21 PM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In this day and age if you Dont use an H&N device ALL the time, you are as negligable as if you were running frayed belts.

No reason not to. Visiblity issues, poor argument not to wear a h&n. Experience and common sense should overcome visibility issues (but can be tuff in the paddock)

Spend the money, protect yourself. If not for you for the others on the track around you.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:35 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I want to modify my car. So I did. Got ya going, eh? Throught this was a follow up to Larry's post? In a way you are right but, the only mods were Cobra Seats, 6 pt Schroth Belts and the Hans device.
I have to admit I have received some strange looks, snickering, rolling of the eyes, etc. from experienced, upper group drivers when they see me, a newbie, with a Hans. Kind of like "what do you think you are a Racer or something". I, on the other hand, think they are fools. Years of experience and they don't place their own safety about all else? They need to read Larry's post.
I just keep on wearing it. In a few years every one will have one. May even be a requirement like a helmet.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I want to modify my car. So I did. Got ya going, eh? Throught this was a follow up to Larry's post? In a way you are right but, the only mods were Cobra Seats, 6 pt Schroth Belts and the Hans device.
I have to admit I have received some strange looks, snickering, rolling of the eyes, etc. from experienced, upper group drivers when they see me, a newbie, with a Hans. Kind of like "what do you think you are a Racer or something". I, on the other hand, think they are fools. Years of experience and they don't place their own safety about all else? They need to read Larry's post.
I just keep on wearing it. In a few years every one will have one. May even be a requirement like a helmet.
Good for you!

I long ago made peace with my maker over dying so I don't even wear my HANS for me. I wear my HANS for those I love who might be left behind if something happened.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:07 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Good on ya. Right reasons.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:16 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Randy,
Good for you! I'd much rather see a newbie spending money on safety items then making his car faster then he can handle, but I digress back to Larry's excellent post again Keep wearing it & who cares what all the "experts" think

PS: That seat & harness are performance improvements. It's much easier to concentrate on droving your car when you aren't trying to keep yourself in the seat @ the same time
Old 07-09-2007, 07:22 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

OK, so you've got my interest.

I don't own a Hans or R3. But, I know that I should be wearing one. I always wear a neck collar, but stayed away from the Head and Neck restraints because I spend more time instructing than racing.

Without starting a flame war, what's the honest appraisal of the Hans vs. the R3? I've been to the website, so don't post a link. Remember, I do quite a bit of instructing and, I'll be honest, I don't always feel like I'm well protected in street cars on the track. Shocking .... I know.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by trackjunky

I don't own a Hans or R3. But, I know that I should be wearing one. I always wear a neck collar, but stayed away from the Head and Neck restraints because I spend more time instructing than racing.

Without starting a flame war, what's the honest appraisal of the Hans vs. the R3? I've been to the website, so don't post a link. Remember, I do quite a bit of instructing and, I'll be honest, I don't always feel like I'm well protected in street cars on the track. Shocking .... I know.
Bill, you may or may not remember meeting me, but we talked some time ago at TWS.

If you want to try out my HANS (assuming I'm not using it that weekend), I'd be more than happy to loan it to you. Your only investment would be the helmet mounts.

The HANS can be a minor pain while instructing, but after a short time I found I got used to it no problem.

I'm trying to get Trixie to invest in one. If she doesn't, she may just get one for Christmas. (Shhhhh.... don't tell her! )
Old 07-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

I'm no expert but I hear R3 is the choice of the two if you're instructing, unless all your students have roll bars and harnesses.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:39 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geo
Bill, you may or may not remember meeting me, but we talked some time ago at TWS.

If you want to try out my HANS (assuming I'm not using it that weekend), I'd be more than happy to loan it to you. Your only investment would be the helmet mounts.

The HANS can be a minor pain while instructing, but after a short time I found I got used to it no problem.

I'm trying to get Trixie to invest in one. If she doesn't, she may just get one for Christmas. (Shhhhh.... don't tell her! )
I remember you well.

I may take you up on that offer. I'll let you know.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:41 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Wearing a neck roll/collar is NOT a good idea an actually a safety issue that you don't want. Are they comfortable? Yes. Are they more dangerous to you (injury) in the event of an impact? Absolutely. I wouldn't go anywhere near one. My suggestion would be to hit the gym and work on your "trap" muscles if you are having fatigue problems wearing a helmet.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Without starting a flame war, what's the honest appraisal of the Hans vs. the R3?
From what I can gather, the Hans is probably a bit better in a straight on impact, but at those forces there may be other survivability issues. The R3 will work with any harnesses and so it is a natural to jump from car to car with.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: Hans.. who wears it?