Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hans.. who wears it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:06 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use R3. Personally I think it's a much better device. Unfortunately had a chance to test it (hit a main straight wall in Atlanta a couple years ago), walked away w/out a scratch. Watching in car video of my crash in slow mode, the way my head moved at each impact clearly could see - that device works! It's a bid of pain in the back to put on compare to HANS, but I got use to it.
My .02
Old 07-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I wear my HANS device at every DE and every race. After seeing a GT car catch fire at a Watkins Glen DE last year, I decided to always wear my race suit, even at the hottest DE's. (I also just bought a cool shirt from CDOC to help with the inevitable summer time thermal issues.) A few years ago, I did a DE with a region that allowed us to to wear shorts and short-sleeved shirts. Although I felt cooler, I felt naked and vulnerable.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 07-09-2007 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Apex Rex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My neck isn't worth a H&N device yet... My car is still missing harnesses. Then again my car can't be driven yet either so it's a moot point.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I'm going to organize a group buy. I should have pricing later today. Anyone interested please contact me.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:44 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Brian! I posted to your thread starting the group buy. If the pricing is "right" you should get many takers. I usually only buy from about 3 vendors so I hope the group buy is worth me "cheating" on my usual places if it doesn't turn out to be one of them
Old 07-09-2007, 07:48 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
OK, how about an oil viscosity discussion then

Still have no idea why H&N restraints cause boxsters to get in a bunch sometimes.
"Boxsters"?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:59 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Royal pain snapping in at pit lane, but it's down right dangerous drivng with the teathers connected while in the paddock.
Hey;

I assume you say this because it restricts your head rotation? If you learn to sit with your head DIRECTLY over your torso - instead of forward - you will slacken the tethers and have a full 180* view. I've said this so many times I thought everyone knew?

News Flash - HANS Device Promotes Better Posture!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:20 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 275 Posts

Always when I race, sometimes on MSR member days.

An issue I have on member days is that the track entry onto the course at MSR requires you to turn your head a pretty fair amount to see oncoming traffic. The 1.7m entry is a little easier but on the 3.1m you really have to look at the traffic as you drive parallel to course before reaching the entry. If you stop at the entry to 'double-check' for traffic you can't turn your head enough to see anything with a Hans on. With Cup Cars on the track, it doesn't take long for a car to appear out of nowhere. On track entry, I feel safer without a Hans as I know for sure I am free from traffic.

Is anyone else having this problem at MSR-Cresson?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:45 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Like AMEX I do not leave home without it......
Old 07-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey;

I assume you say this because it restricts your head rotation? If you learn to sit with your head DIRECTLY over your torso - instead of forward - you will slacken the tethers and have a full 180* view.
+1 I have no vision problem in pitlane or on the track.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
"Boxsters"?
I know, it should have been 'boxers'.....but being a Porsche forum, I thought i'd slip it in. Thanks for noticing.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:40 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I know, it should have been 'boxers'.....but being a Porsche forum, I thought i'd slip it in. Thanks for noticing.
Lewis,

You should know better - this is a very literal bunch.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:08 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

All we need now is a photo of a wadded up Boxster.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dave1200
Who wears the hans device on track says and DE's?

I wear it for racing. I have not done any DE's lately, but would wear it in DE too. After almost 2 years of using it I feel naket without one.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:06 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default HANS Pads and HANS use for Racing and DEs

Hubbard/Downing instructs it's dealers that the pads are for comfort only and are not a requirement with a HANS device. If you experience problems with the pads and are more comfortable without them, don't use the pads.

A 5- or 6-point harness is a must with a HANS. You cannot use a 3-point factory seatbelt with a HANS no matter how tight you pull the belts. I believe Schroth has or may come out with a street legal belt you can use with a hans althought I'm not sure if Hubbard/Downing has been involved in the development of this belt.

We have sold R3s to customers that are instructors and their students have factory seatbelts. So if you plan to instruct in various cars, the R3 is the better choice.

I usually tell customers the Head & Neck restraints are like helmets - the first time you put them on, you may feel uncomfortable or think you are uncomfortable but once you get on track, you forget all about it.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook

Quick Reply: Hans.. who wears it?