Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash at PCA Glen

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Apex Rex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With out knowing the exact details of what happened, I can not really comment on the actual incident. I do know that the driver is a solo level driver and co-drives the car with his dad who is an instructor. This incident was the left-hander going into the laces. The other incident I think people are referring to was in the heel of the boot.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:30 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
I think you need to read my statement again, I SAID YOU CAN TEACH A STUDENT TO BE A BETTER DRIVER , YOU CANNOT TEACH THEM HOW TO BE FAST , SPEED AND CAR CONTROL AT SPEED IS A NATURAL INSTINCT, YOU HAVE IT OR NOT , THISIS WHY THERE ARE MORE WANNA BE'S THAN BE'S
A STUDENT CRASHING UNDER INSTRUCTIONS , ENOUGH FOR INJURY OR DESTRUCTION OF SAID CAR IS A MORON .........STAY HOME RACING IS NOT FOR EVERYONE , OF COURSE ALL YOU FAST RACING GUYS WHO LEARN'T AND STARTED IN DE'S IS GOING TO CHIME IN . OK , BUT IF YOU DID NOT ATTEMPT TO KILL ANYONE WHILE AS A STUDENT AT DE, THEN THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU .. ...
I think you need to read my response again, and I think you need to step back and reevaluate why you feel the need to be rude. I wasn't rude to you, and I didn't flame you. I expressed my opinion.

Again, I disagree with you. You can teach a student to be a better driver AND you can teach a student car control skills. Of course, you really have to practice a lot to hone those skills, and that is the risky part. I always back way off when I have a passenger, and I always have. My lap times at Mid-Ohio with an instructor were 5 to 6 seconds slower than I was when I was by myself. So, I have never crashed with an instructor. But, I still think that you cannot categorically say that every crash means that someone was a moron. Was it foreseeable? Was it a mechanical failure? Was it simply a brain fart by an otherwise great driver?

To the extent that you are saying instructors should not be encouraging their students to be so close to the limit that wrecks are likely, I agree with you. To the extent you are saying that every wreck is evidence that the driver is a moron, sorry, I just flat out disagree, but in a polite way, see.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 825 Posts

A crash at another DE , Thank God the instructor is OK, I guess this one will be invited back also

while i do believe in driver education, teaching proper braking technique, Lines, making a student smoother and better, what you cannot teach them is speed and car control, that is a natural instinct , you have it or you do not , for a student driver , to drive fast enough for this kind of injury is just plain stupid......DE instructors do have ***** of Steel.......

FLame suit on , beam me up scotty
Dumbest, most ill-informed post of the month.

So far.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:34 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I think you need to read my response again, and I think you need to step back and reevaluate why you feel the need to be rude. I wasn't rude to you, and I didn't flame you. I expressed my opinion.

Again, I disagree with you. You can teach a student to be a better driver AND you can teach a student car control skills. Of course, you really have to practice a lot to hone those skills, and that is the risky part. I always back way off when I have a passenger, and I always have. My lap times at Mid-Ohio with an instructor were 5 to 6 seconds slower than I was when I was by myself. So, I have never crashed with an instructor. But, I still think that you cannot categorically say that every crash means that someone was a moron. Was it foreseeable? Was it a mechanical failure? Was it simply a brain fart by an otherwise great driver?

To the extent that you are saying instructors should not be encouraging their students to be so close to the limit that wrecks are likely, I agree with you. To the extent you are saying that every wreck is evidence that the driver is a moron, sorry, I just flat out disagree, but in a polite way, see.

I'm sorry that you would feel i was being rude, that was not my intention , nor did i feel you where being rude and of course my comments are not to the sane drivers who attend DE's without incident , it is just flat out crazy for this kind of thing ot happen at a student level , if he was by himself pushing i could understand and i agree with you about having someone else in the car , you always leave a big margin for error ......
Old 06-19-2007, 03:36 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dumbest, most ill-informed post of the month.

So far.
No i'm sure you had beaten me to this already
Old 06-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 825 Posts

Uh-huh.

Did you consieer the possibility that maybe the car suffered a mechanical or tire failure? Or that an animal caused the accident? Your "definitive proclamations" in the utter absence of FACTS make you look extremely foolish.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
One interesting point of note is that the car was apprently "well prepared". Maybe JerseyBean can fill us in on it. I am always very concerned when I get assigned a student that shows up for his or her first day at the track in a "race" car with a full suspension, slicks, etc.
It was my old 964, the car was extremely well prepared with SD roll cage, harness, good seats etc, all the good stuff. I'm not sure of the exact details of the crash so I won't comment on the root cause of the accident, I'm just extremely happy that everyone made it out okay!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:03 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I'm sorry that you would feel i was being rude, that was not my intention , nor did i feel you where being rude and of course my comments are not to the sane drivers who attend DE's without incident , it is just flat out crazy for this kind of thing ot happen at a student level , if he was by himself pushing i could understand and i agree with you about having someone else in the car , you always leave a big margin for error ......
No worries.

You know, though, I am typically a very conservative driver. In fact, I am too polite and conservative in races still, which costs me time. That said, I wrecked at the Glen (by myself). Why? I made a series of small errors that led to a big consequence.

One of the many contributing factors to my wreck was lack of experience at gathering a car back up at 87 mph when it starts to break loose.

I made a judgment error on how to deal with the situation -- I consciously made the wrong choice during the 1.8 seconds from the time things went south until I hit the wall -- that was directly related to lack of experience.

I paid big time for my mistake (although I was not hurt -- I didn't have a bruise). I learned a lot, and I now know how to deal with that situation . . . and I am a better driver for it.

Was it stupid? You bet.

Was I embarassed? You bet.

Does it mean I am a moron? I may be a moron, but not because I wrecked.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Thanks JB, I was actually thinking more how it was performance prepared i.e. tires, suspension, power, weight. Could it have been too much car for a new student?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
Thanks JB, I was actually thinking more how it was performance prepared i.e. tires, suspension, power, weight. Could it have been too much car for a new student?

Car had mild suspension tuning, scargo headers, fabspeed exhaust, 993TT big reds, lighten somewhat - typical stuff you find on a well prepared 964. I dont think it was too much car for him, infact I think it was a great car to learn in.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default the laces

I heard from a friend that was there about a heavy shunt in the laces. The track was closed for 1 1/2 hours because the ambulance was transporting. Sounds like the one.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Please let us know as many facts as can be determined.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:31 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
Your talking about Roy A, He's okay but out of action for a while. I believe he suffered 3 broken ribs and a concussion.

Please read the above quote. Bt this account it looks like this instructor got hurt.

Here is my opinion. Talking about this in this way is bad form and has no good outcome for anyone. Mulling over the real details of the crash and what happened in order for all to learn from it might be a good thing for all.

Last edited by kurt M; 06-19-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex Rex
With out knowing the exact details of what happened, I can not really comment on the actual incident. I do know that the driver is a solo level driver and co-drives the car with his dad who is an instructor. This incident was the left-hander going into the laces. The other incident I think people are referring to was in the heel of the boot.
Wasn't there a death at the laces in 2004 at a PCA DE. I believe it was a Boxter and the student had just been signed off.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:39 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

They hit the outside rail at T6 downhill left hander after the Carousel. I passed the scene slowly under the black flag. It was an very heavy hit esp. on the right front, the car then rebounded across the track backing into the armco. Not a pretty sight.........

P.S. Somebody should douse the ranters (flamers)

Last edited by morefun; 06-19-2007 at 04:42 PM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply: Crash at PCA Glen