Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash at PCA Glen

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:07 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T6 has less banking on the outside, the camber just flatens out. If you enter far right, and fast, you can get hung out to dry.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Bob and Larry, please be more specific about entering T6 more towards the middle. I have tried from smack dab in the middle of the track to about a car width from the right side. I like it about a half-car width to the right of the middle.

The GT2 Rolex cars take a much more inside line, pretty much hard to the apex all the way around. Of course they are racing and are fast....
Old 06-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Most crashes in T6 do not happen because of that. It is usually because you mis-judge your speed and how much longer your braking has to be because it's steeply downhill. What is more likely is that you will slide off the outside under braking before you ever start turning for the apex. Even though you are not using all of the road, taking a more middle entry might be a better chioce. Some guys get around that turn pretty quickly that way.

Agreed. While I have not been there since the repave, I recall all sorts of experienced drovers out-braking themselves there & sliding off drover's right...or entering too far right and giving up all sorts of room on the inside. IIRC, between dead center & 1 car width to the right of dead center seems to be the pre-repave sweet spot for entry, ts use the slight camber to your advantage.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess it was just a matter of time before the infinite wisdom of the uninformed would be applied to this incident! Unless you were in the car at the time of the incident, you can't have any idea what happened. I know I wasn't, and I doubt you were. The people involved are all personal friends of mine, I was at the event, and here is what I do know:

Sh*t happened. People are dealing with it.

Last edited by Bull; 06-20-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Agreed. While I have not been there since the repave, I recall all sorts of experienced drovers out-braking themselves there & sliding off drover's right...or entering too far right and giving up all sorts of room on the inside. IIRC, between dead center & 1 car width to the right of dead center seems to be the pre-repave sweet spot for entry, ts use the slight camber to your advantage.
Still the same after the repave, and is what Randy Pobst was teaching at the event.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:24 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Still the same after the repave, and is what Randy Pobst was teaching at the event.
I actually had a lot of luck passing people there during the club race because (1) that turn bothers people a lot, so they overbrake, and (2) a lot of people go too far out to the right, so you can slip right in next to their door handles and take the line you would have taken even if there had not been anybody else around . . .

So Bull, I trust that all involved will make a full recovery?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I actually had a lot of luck passing people there during the club race because (1) that turn bothers people a lot, so they overbrake, and (2) a lot of people go too far out to the right, so you can slip right in next to their door handles and take the line you would have taken even if there had not been anybody else around . . .

So Bull, I trust that all involved will make a full recovery?
Mending as we type.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 825 Posts

Bull, glad to hear more details. Also glad to hear that the fast way thru that turn is still the same after the repave. I can't wait to go back! Todd, agree 100%. That was one of my favorite corners there for overtaking. I made a lot of passes there & at T8 when many others seems to want to tread lightly thru both.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:31 AM
bdf
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The instructor is one of the best
x10
Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob, The T6 info was for someone asking about the track it is not analysis of the accident (which in my comment(s) is specifically stated). I understand the sensitivity to matters, but this was constructive information about being careful with the turn. Nobody should be drawing conclusions, I was at the Glen when we had the fatality, so I know how stories can become urban legends.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bobt993
Bob, The T6 info was for someone asking about the track it is not analysis of the accident (which in my comment(s) is specifically stated). I understand the sensitivity to matters, but this was constructive information about being careful with the turn. Nobody should be drawing conclusions, I was at the Glen when we had the fatality, so I know how stories can become urban legends.
My comments were not directed to you, nor anyone discussing how best to negotiate T-6. Sorry for any collateral damage.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

+1 Larry
You can take a really early apex in T6 is you've done you're braking right. There is a lot of grip now in that turn. In the club race this year there were a lot cars taking it just like T5 - on the inside all the way around (or in the middle as Larry suggested).

It amazes me how many cars go so wide in the braking zone and at turn in for T6. There's no reason to be all the way out next to the dirt there. I see people almost dropping wheels there all the time. That is a recipe for disaster.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:15 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all for the relevant and informative information on the event and the line in T6. Best wishes and speedy recovery to the injured.

Last edited by kurt M; 06-20-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1957 356
It amazes me how many cars go so wide in the braking zone and at turn in for T6.
It's deceptive from a visual perspective. You can't really see the lack of camber on the outside unless you walk it. That being said, it is also too easy to overcook it there. It happened to me during the club race qualifying. I came in a little too hot and the car just stayed right. So when I came to the edge of the track, I turned in and hit the gas. It worked because I'm still here, but it was a huge pucker moment.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hoping for a speedy recovery for those involved. Turn Six is a bear.

Quick Reply: Crash at PCA Glen