Sponsored by:

911 front fender louvres??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts
Default 911 front fender louvres??

Looing for description/pics of front fender louvers for 911 race cars. I have plenty of pics of 935s with these, so I don't need any more of those. I can go visit and study 3-4 935s any time I want.

I am looking for descriptions/pics cars with wide frp or CF 993 (eg. Getty Design or MA Shaw) bodywork, or more stock 911 bodywork. Fabricated? Commercially available?

Thanks,

Mike
Porsche Racing Club #4
www.porscheracingclub.com
Old 05-09-2007, 09:20 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

There's a pic of mine in my avatar. What do you want to know?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike: I have the Getty copy of the 993 EVO front on my car (it's a complete Getty RSR body "kit"). We've been really happy with the amount of air flow as my twin oil coolers keep my oil temps at 180 °F or less.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Where would one purchase louvers like on the 934-5? Not the nose panels but just the louver panels themselves?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all.

John: I had spotted those on the little picture of your car previously and I'd like to know more about them. Where did you get them or did you make them? How did you choose the location? If made, how were they made? Do you have some close up pictures that you canpost or send to me via e-mail?

Tom: I am not looking for cooler flow (I have a massive oil cooler that is already ducted). I am interested in fender louvers.

As Tom knows, there are several 935 cars in our "neighborhood." Some of the earlier ones have slots in the fiberglass fenders... later ones have actual louvers. I think the Kremer-style bodywork sold by places like T Racing has louvers molded in. Those shapes won't work on the 993 syle fenders i could just cut slots, but i would prefer to make or buy louvers. I may make a mold and fab some up in CF, but thought I'd ping the list first. One of my friends reportedly has a mold, so I may ring him up in Reno as well.

- Mike
Mahler9th@aol.com
Old 05-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Mike, if you have any info on where to get or someone to contact to make the 934 style louvers please let me know. I'm looking to put them on my single piece front clip (kremer style), good luck finding your fender louvers!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:11 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
John: I had spotted those on the little picture of your car previously and I'd like to know more about them. Where did you get them or did you make them? How did you choose the location? If made, how were they made? Do you have some close up pictures that you canpost or send to me via e-mail?

My car is fiberglass and they were just cut out. I have caps that were once riveted on to cover the louvers. I have not used them as I have not raced in the rain. BTW, my car was purchased that way. I have no idea how or why they were placed where they are.

John
Old 05-11-2007, 02:29 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fender louvers are used for added down force - removing the lift that is generated by he air flowing under the car - it works in conjunction with the front spoiler. they generally do not add down force by them selves but cancel lift. (if that makes sense)
look at the Chapperal (sp) 2 series cars for the early uses of this technique.

there is a comapny in Ca that did the European Car E39 M3 hood louvers that could probably louver a FG or CF car. not sure which issue but it has been done well before.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. I know what they are for, and I vaguely remember that article. I am looking for a short cut... I can make them myself if I have to. Slots would be okay, but shaped louvers would be better. The 935 cars I have access to all have slots. But there are so many 935 cars in and out of there, I am sure one with louvers will show up. But the 935 fenders are flatter on top than my 993 wide units. By the way, the place with the 935s also has the 944 proto lemans turbo car, along with another 924/944 GTR or GTP. Lots of interesting trick items on those car.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I saw a GT car parked at Mirage the other day that had a pretty clever solution if you want to be able to add and remove the louvers. It had square holes cut in the fenders and the aluminum louver panels were bolted on from the backside. The panels were painted to match the car and bolting it on with buttonhead hardware from the back kept it pretty smooth, you could do it with dzus or quarter turn fastners too.

I don't know that there is any aero advantage to having shaped louvers or just having slots like John H's car (cool car btw!). The protypes and GT1's at Lemans all have shaped louvers but I think that may have something to do with the rules requiring them to cover up the tires and supension. It is interesting to see them swap out the panels to change size and number of louvers depending on the track and conditions - I don't think any of our cars are optimized enough to feel the difference but every little bit counts..

There are a few sources for louvers-

HRP sells carbon ones that are too big for fenders and cost big bucks.

Summit sells plastic ones that could be functional if you cut the holes for them in a few sizes, they are pretty cheap and would probably look it

This place sells aluminum louver panels (http://www.raceace.com/), but you could probably have these made at any well equipped hot rod or machine shop.

If you have any other sources let me know, I am planning on venting the fenders of my latest project.

Last edited by Cory M; 05-11-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:54 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

You must have louvers and/or a cover for when it rains. You should see me driving through the paddock when there's a lot of gravel.

Cory M, thanks for the compliment.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Cory M
Drifting

these look nice but fragile if you go off track into the dirt and rocks

Last edited by Cory M; 01-08-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I too like John's car... I have similar bodywork. Mine is red. Anyway, I am aware of the Genesis parts that HRP sell... I think they are too flat to work with.

The louvers can make a difference along with other things. My aero resources were part of world champion 935 teams and are active in the sport.

I like that BMW... cool. I'll be contemplating adding a bunch of front downforce to my car in the coming months. I already have a mold for really large diveplanes which I will probably make in CF this weekend.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Cory M
Drifting

I've seen some pictures of your car Mike, it looks great. I wish there was an active GTL class in SoCal, I think it is a great idea. I have thought about adding diveplanes but without testing and analysis it would be hard to tell if they are helping at all or making things worse. I plan on using a few aero tricks on my latest project so if you make something cool let me know.

Crawford makes a variety of CF louvers, they may have a mold that would work for 911 fenders they'll probably be expensive though..

http://www.crawfordcomposites.com/sportscar.htm
Old 12-14-2015, 02:12 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the lead Cory ... 8 years later .... Any one found a good front fender top louvre solution lately?

Quick Reply: 911 front fender louvres??