Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I guess Speed Channel is having success with their NASACR-centric programming

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 03:19 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I guess Speed Channel is having success with their NASACR-centric programming

It doesn't work well for us but it looks like it's working well for them. I pulled this from an article announcing their new president.

"In February, SPEED topped 70 million U.S. households for the first time in network history, adding 720,000 households in February and 4.7 million homes in the last year. More than three quarters of all local systems carrying SPEED are now utilizing its programs to help drive their own local advertising sales revenue. Men aged 18-49 and Adults 18-49 recently named SPEED their favorite mid-sized network, while women ranked it second among similar networks, according to the 2006 Beta Research Cable Subscriber Evaluation Survey. With the growth of popular NASCAR programs, including the sport’s signature pre-race show, “NASCAR RaceDay,” and the tremendous popularity of automotive lifestyle shows, including “PINKS” and “Unique Whips,” SPEED’s total audience delivery grew for the fourth consecutive year and scored its mostwatched year in network history in 2006."
Old 04-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep this at the top for all of the folks who keep signing Speed petitions threatening to stop watching if they don't show more road racing.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Keep this at the top for all of the folks who keep signing Speed petitions threatening to stop watching if they don't show more road racing.
It's pretty easy to stop watching since it's getting harder and harder to find road racing on the channel.

It's funny... I used to be glued to Speedvision. I rarely watch Speed. I wish someone would pick up the various road racing as well as WRC (does Speed even show it at all anymore?).
Old 04-09-2007, 03:55 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geo
It's pretty easy to stop watching since it's getting harder and harder to find road racing on the channel.

It's funny... I used to be glued to Speedvision. I rarely watch Speed. I wish someone would pick up the various road racing as well as WRC (does Speed even show it at all anymore?).

well get to work , put together a package and buy the air time , I'm sure there is enough here who feel the same
Old 04-09-2007, 03:59 PM
jrok
Racer

WRC was dropped for the 2006 season and beyond. It used to be the highlight of Sunday night for me and I would watch it riveted to the screen for an hour and a half. WRC was my second favorite behind F1. I do still enjoy the sheer racing of Speed Touring, BTCC and Austrailian V8. Speed GT, DTM are not as fun but I still watch. Speed is no SpeedVision though.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:18 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 190 Posts

I don't watch that much TV in general and Speed is not high on my radar. Sure I would love to see more road course racing on the channel. Between all the Nopi girls gone wild, Barret-Jackson, and Nascar there's not too much of interest to me.

But I have to admit, I was watching Speed yesterday before the F1 coverage, and they had a nice piece on the MkV GTI followed by a story on the Saleen S7. Both of those were great.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:23 PM
jester911
Drifting

Well we have ESPN2. It is clearly time to have Speed2. I miss WRC as well. Also the Superbike series was fun as well.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:38 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Back in 1997 when i first caught speedvision I thought I found heaven. Well over the years it all got better until it turned to "Speed". I think the first year as "speed" was ok, but then it was all down hill from there. Each season I watch less and less speed. Used to be the first place I looked on the TV to for something good to watch. Now thank god for TIVO & DVR. I just set system to record F1 at the end of last season and bang it records them for me. So no I don't even need to surf speed to find out when it is on. Just come here and realize... there was a race this weekend and then go look on my DVR for it. ... Great thing too is most races are at night or some weird time so my wife does not get too upset with my being glued to the TV or even intrupting any of her TV time.

BTW... I have Malaysia on DVR and will be watching it this evening. Saw practice & qualy so now I just need to see the race.

As for the rest of the stuff on speed..... well hard to DVR AMLS or Grand Am since they just show as "auto racing" rather than Formula One on my system. If I record "auto racing" I get too much crap (ie ACRA Re/Max crap).

So in the end I catch F1 and maybe the occasional endurace race here and there.

I used to care about NASCRAP on Speed, but now I just don't give a darn.
Signed,
FORMER Speed Viewer
Old 04-09-2007, 05:03 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,950 Likes on 1,745 Posts

I'm just grateful they carry F1 and added the F1 debrief show. From what I can tell, a lot of the NASCAR fans are starting to come around and enjoy watching F1, as some F1 fans are starting to come around to NASCAR.

I don't watch SPEED's NASCAR coverage, but they do a good job on F1 (Does everyone need to be reminded of the embarassment CBS was to themselves when covering the sport). I like Matchett and Windsor in particular with their insights. I just hope FOX does a decent job with coverage when they carry their allottment of F1 races this year
Old 04-09-2007, 05:06 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I went to Torrents for races I wish to see. The internet community is getting so large that you will rarely go "Without" when wanting to download something that has been broadcast or published. I watched Australia and malaysia on my laptop this weekend while out in the garage getting the 928 together.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Blackness
Pro

I always DVR the ALMS, Grand AM (but harder to watch after ALMS gets going), SWC GT and TC, F1. Even though I DVR the ALMS, I hate the tape-delayed broadcasts. I always feel like Speed has edited something out. I especially dislike the tape-delayed broadcasts of NBC and CBS. I feel like they have no continuity.

I realize it's a pipedream, but man I wish someone would broadcast ALMS and F1 in hi-def.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F1 on FOX, give me a break, is that for real? Who's replacing Matchett or and Windsor, O'Riley or Ollie North? Maybe Jeraldo?

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 04-09-2007, 05:19 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,950 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
F1 on FOX, give me a break, is that for real? Who's replacing Matchett or and Windsor, O'Riley or Ollie North? Maybe Jeraldo?

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Ryan Seacrest and Simone Cowle.

Fox can't screw it up more than CBS did. Do you remember the race was tape delayed instead of being live? When they could edit the re-broadcast anyway they wanted to and not missed the action on the track or pits. Leave it up to CBS, however to miss important passes on track and leave out important pit stops in their rebroadcast. They didn't care about it at all -- just filler programing between basketball or figure skating, or golf or something.

Is F1 on FOX going to have a NASCAR flavor, Boogity, Boogity, Boogity?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
well get to work , put together a package and buy the air time , I'm sure there is enough here who feel the same
Hey, I'm a slacker. That's why I'm wishing someone else would do it. Just like everyone else.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Geo
Race Director

Don't forget that FOX owns Speed. It will probably have the same broadcast team.

Quick Reply: I guess Speed Channel is having success with their NASACR-centric programming