Sponsored by:

Traqmate vs Performance Box

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:26 AM
tdf360
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traqmate vs Performance Box

Can anyone summarize the advantages of the Traqmate over the Performance Box? I bought the PB for $500 and used it for the first time last week at Sears Point, and was amazed at the quality and quantity of the information. I can overlay as many as four laps, and by dragging a cursor line along the track map I can analyze snapshot readouts on speed, g-load (lateral and longitudinal), heading, etc, etc. For my uses (casual track days) it seems to fit the bill perfectly, but I had several friends at the event say I must be giving something up compared to the more expensive systems like the traqmate, and I certainly agree, I just haven't looked into exactly what, since $500 was my price point.

Any info appreciated,

Gary
Old 03-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Do you have a link to the PB, a quick google search came up empty?
Old 03-29-2007, 03:51 PM
tdf360
Pro

Here's the website...

http://www.vboxusa.com/performancedr...ormancebox.php

Gary
Old 03-29-2007, 06:07 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

It's really all about the software with the big players in this market. You need to be able to see multiple session, not just four laps. And you want to be able to divide the track into segments that are exactly reproducible not just for the duration of a session but for every visit you make to the same track. Can the Performance Box take additional analog and digital inputs? Some of the most useful data I've gotten came when I was able to add additional sensors to focus on areas of the car and driver I was looking to improve. I don't know anything about that product's software, but that will be the thing that distinguishes it from simply being an overpriced lap timer.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:47 PM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
It's really all about the software with the big players in this market. You need to be able to see multiple session, not just four laps. And you want to be able to divide the track into segments that are exactly reproducible not just for the duration of a session but for every visit you make to the same track. Can the Performance Box take additional analog and digital inputs? Some of the most useful data I've gotten came when I was able to add additional sensors to focus on areas of the car and driver I was looking to improve. I don't know anything about that product's software, but that will be the thing that distinguishes it from simply being an overpriced lap timer.
Well, like I said, I'm a casual DE guy who just wants accurate timing and the ability to download some laps for comparison - for me four is plenty. And the extra inputs...not such a big deal at my end. But it is interesting to see where the other systems offer more than the PB.

Gary
Old 03-31-2007, 10:46 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What I liked about TraqMate (which I just purchased) is the software is very easy to use and I know so many people that have it so we can share data for comparison. Worked flawlessly yesterday at Lime Rock with CVR.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:31 AM
AC coupe
Instructor

I'm not familiar with Performance Box but you can find quite a bit of first hand info on Traqmate HERE
Old 04-29-2007, 12:32 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tdf360
Can anyone summarize the advantages of the Traqmate over the Performance Box? I bought the PB for $500 and used it for the first time last week at Sears Point, and was amazed at the quality and quantity of the information. I can overlay as many as four laps, and by dragging a cursor line along the track map I can analyze snapshot readouts on speed, g-load (lateral and longitudinal), heading, etc, etc. For my uses (casual track days) it seems to fit the bill perfectly, but I had several friends at the event say I must be giving something up compared to the more expensive systems like the traqmate, and I certainly agree, I just haven't looked into exactly what, since $500 was my price point.

Any info appreciated,

Gary
Great question, and of particular interest, it will be interesting to see the evolution of analysis, input and discussion.

Then, I will make up my mind.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:03 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I've had good luck with Traqmate as well. The additional inputs have been a little troublesome, probably because I tried to get signals from the ECU. I think independent sensors are the way to go, with the exception of tach. Specifically, throttle position and oil temp are not as accurate as I would like.

Quick Reply: Traqmate vs Performance Box