Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While we're discussing DE passing-pick a side!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default While we're discussing DE passing-pick a side!

I prefer to have the passing side designated by the organizers, NOT chosen by the driver giving me the sign.

I'll come out of Oak tree and slalom down that straight to pass 3 or 4 cars on different sides.

Am I missing something?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:42 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Predictability is a key part of safe driver's ed. It is my view that the organizers should always specify the passing locations and sides on which those passes are made - for all groups.

That said, there are some short segments on some tracks that do not have a well defined line. If only a single pass is being made, I can see making it driver option in the most advanced groups. One car - one pass.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:27 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it should be dealt with in a case by case basis for the upper run groups. For the lower it would probably be better if it was structured in some way.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:49 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I prefer (and insist on at our events) passing signals such that the passing car has the inside line to the next corner.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the less rules the better and would not want to see passing sides specified and will change depending on if the pass is early or late on some sections of the track.. A good example is between the carousel and the laces at Watkins Glen. An early pass is done on the right (inside exiting the carousel) and a late pass is done on the left (inside entering the laces).
Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Another sticky topic...

This was run up the "chain of command" at last years Zone 2 event as several instructors thought this was unsafe particularly in the Green & Blue run groups.

Unfortunatly, IMHO they would not alter their decision. Hopefully those who had the opportunity to fill out the feedback form included this in their comments.

What I noticed in White was that most of us passed on the left hand side (like we were taught) comming out of oak tree and there was minimal darting back and forth which was a good thing.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:47 AM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
I think it should be dealt with in a case by case basis for the upper run groups. For the lower it would probably be better if it was structured in some way.
Agreed completely. I've pointed and M3 buy on the inside coming out of oak tree simply because he was so much faster than I was just to get him by. But then again we were in the highest non-instructor run group so it was "my digression" to let him by quickly rather than have him wait behind me for me to get over and then point him by.

I think this is the "norm" for higher run groups that I've run in (nasa, thscc, mazda drivers, etc). A lot of times the passing areas are one side only, but in the name of expedience I'd rather take/give a point on the wrong side than wait. After all, you should have mutual trust for the other drivers in higher run groups.

As for lower groups, Single side only... just so there are no clusters.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:14 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

This was actually DISCUSSED at the drivers meeting at Zone 2 regarding Oak Tree. It was actually a question that I raised on Sunday morning's meeting. I asked if we could make sure that people understand that passing sides cannot be at drivers choice going down the back stright out of oak tree. I had a few ocassions where I passed 4 or 5 cars and literaly had to weave left and right and left and right all the way down the straight. Not good. The consensus at the meeting was that ALL PASSING is on the left with only one exception. If you have a faster car on your *** entering oak tree that couldn't get past you after southbend could pass on the RIGHT right out of the apex since you can't be expected to lift in the apex, dart to the right and allow them by properly on the left. If you ask me the car behind you is the one at fault which would cause that situation. They should know where they are in the queue and need to time their pass efficiently instead of racing up to your bumper at oak tree.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:30 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I prefer (and insist on at our events) passing signals such that the passing car has the inside line to the next corner.

Yep.
Passing car moves "offline" which ever direction that is. I HATE IT when you are forced to pass on one side only makes the act very unnatural.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:39 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Yep.
Passing car moves "offline" which ever direction that is. I HATE IT when you are forced to pass on one side only makes the act very unnatural.
+1

Originally Posted by LVDell
This was actually DISCUSSED at the drivers meeting at Zone 2 regarding Oak Tree. It was actually a question that I raised on Sunday morning's meeting. I asked if we could make sure that people understand that passing sides cannot be at drivers choice going down the back stright out of oak tree. I had a few ocassions where I passed 4 or 5 cars and literaly had to weave left and right and left and right all the way down the straight. Not good.
If the pass is that unsafe, just dont take it. It's not a moral imperitive to get by the guy in front at some DE.

And bringin up "facts" (like which side you like the passing to be done on) at drivers meeting only leads to more confusion. Just go talk to the Chief before the meeting and ask them one on one.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Z-man
Race Director

There are some passing areas where sometimes a pass on the right and sometimes a pass on the left is safer. It all depends on the cars, and where in the passing zone the pass is made.

For example -- Pocono North - the short straight in the infield -- an early pass is better with the passing car going offline to the RIGHT, while a later pass is better with the passing car going offline to the LEFT and taking a rim-shot around the left hander.

I believe general rules should be in place, but they shouldn't be the 'end all.' The key is that both drivers (passer and passee) are in good communication, and the passing signal is crystal clear. (no hands pointed up in the air -- either a point to the left, or a point over the roof to the right.)

That's assuming that point-bys are required for passing. In the case of events where point-bys aren't required, I won't comment, since I haven't attended such events.

-Z-man.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Passing is allowed in DE?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think it's a good idea (to pass only on one certain side).

Slower car keeps the line and a car that's passing changes his line for the pass IMO is the best way to do it.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:37 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
And bringin up "facts" (like which side you like the passing to be done on) at drivers meeting only leads to more confusion. Just go talk to the Chief before the meeting and ask them one on one.
What exactly does this accomplish? So you are saying to keep it from being addressed during a drivers meeting? That makes no sense. The passing rules are in the info packet PRIOR to the event and then discussed again at the track. Addressing that people are VERY inconsistent and contradictory with passing signals is something that SHOULD be addressed. Agree?

Or, I am totally misinterpreting what you said?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I am glad that you do Bob. Both drivers know what to expect.

Quick Reply: While we're discussing DE passing-pick a side!