Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While we're discussing DE passing-pick a side!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:06 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmph;

It utterly amazes me that this crap comes up over and over and over. The passing car goes off line to make the pass. How much simpler can it be? And yet, here it comes again and again. This rule covers every eventuality I can think of off the top of my head. There are certain instances where this is stretched a bit, and it needs understanding when talking early -vs- late passes in a short chute between corners of opposite direction, but ultimately it just is not that difficult.

Two places where some groups STILL can't figure it out are the back straights at Mosport and VIR. Right side and left side ONLY, respectively. These portions of track are NOT intended to be gymkhana!

One can only hope that if you can find where the line is, which side to pass on should be FAIRLY FREAKING OBVIOUS by now?

Old 03-26-2007, 08:49 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hmmmph;

It utterly amazes me that this crap comes up over and over and over. The passing car goes off line to make the pass. How much simpler can it be? And yet, here it comes again and again. This rule covers every eventuality I can think of off the top of my head. There are certain instances where this is stretched a bit, and it needs understanding when talking early -vs- late passes in a short chute between corners of opposite direction, but ultimately it just is not that difficult.

Two places where some groups STILL can't figure it out are the back straights at Mosport and VIR. Right side and left side ONLY, respectively. These portions of track are NOT intended to be gymkhana!

One can only hope that if you can find where the line is, which side to pass on should be FAIRLY FREAKING OBVIOUS by now?

Ain't life grand when you just KISS ( KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID )
Old 03-26-2007, 08:56 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What should we do if the line you are in is slower than the one next to you at the snack bar? Do you make a lane change with or without a signal into that line? What if your buddy lets you cut in front of other people? Should you decline and start from the rear?

Old 03-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Black flag followed by a trip home
Old 03-26-2007, 09:22 PM
John Brown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
I think T2 to T3 is a spot where you can go by either way. That was my point. If everyone knows the rules and stays to the side of the track where the point by initiates, then there isn't a problem. Don't know about a multiple car pass there. That isn't a huge of amount of room unless both cars are much faster then the passe and therefore I give a point for each car in the direction I want them to go. A hard stance on on-line off-line passing rules just doesn't seem perfect to me.

If I point you by to the right coming out of T2 because I want you to go there and I don't see you take it, I will continue on "the line" and come back track right. At which time I will probably give you the point to the left. I give folks the early option coming out of T2 if they want to take it though. Works well in the upper run groups better, like you said.
I've been watching this thread for a bit and against all good sense just can't resist. If I recall correctly this same discussion came up last year after the same event run by the same people. The same discussion took place at the instructor meeting too. Ponder that a minute.

My sense is the complaint is mostly about student groups. You see lots of the aforementioned weaving during instructed run sessions at this event. On the back straight and the front straight. Several 'near misses' and heart stopping moments. In my opinion those in charge don't remember clearly enough before they themselves became so skilled just how confusing it all can be. Safety is best served by simplifying the situation for students. Part of the process of filtering inputs so the beginner can focus on learning the tasks.

My solution last time at this event was to brief my students where was the line and that we didn't take or give passes that would make us be contrary to the line and 'pass left' (back straight) or 'pass right' (front straight).

What you or I do at SP 2 is one thing. When we are with a student it's prudent to have em on line track right and signal left. Yes, it's a short straight and yes, you may only get one by, or maybe none. But it keeps things much safer.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:32 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 839 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
What exactly does this accomplish? So you are saying to keep it from being addressed during a drivers meeting? That makes no sense. The passing rules are in the info packet PRIOR to the event and then discussed again at the track. Addressing that people are VERY inconsistent and contradictory with passing signals is something that SHOULD be addressed. Agree?

Or, I am totally misinterpreting what you said?
I am saying to talk to the cheif ahead of the meeting and have them bring it up if they see fit. As you said, everyone knows all the rules already. If someone is not following the passing rules, a global announcement at the drivers meeting is not going to help. Or you can go talk to the offending car/driver directly.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by John Brown

What you or I do at SP 2 is one thing. When we are with a student it's prudent to have em on line track right and signal left. Yes, it's a short straight and yes, you may only get one by, or maybe none. But it keeps things much safer.
Roger that.

Red-Black can use that whole straightaway there for passing. For students, wait until you are down the straightaway and on the proper side before signaling. When you give the pass, stay put!

Quick Reply: While we're discussing DE passing-pick a side!