Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it true that the NASA race series has mandatory dyno pulls

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run in both NASA SE and NASA MA and ran in the Nationals last year. I turned in my certified dyno sheet to each region's director at the beginning of the season. At the end of a race, if someone in a class is obviously much faster than the rest, he/she can probably expect a dyno pull (if one is available.) Otherwise it could be on a random basis, if at all. Weighing the podium finishers, OTOH, is pretty easy and quick, so you might expect that.

For those with boosted engines, there is supposed to be a seal placed on the boost control to prevent manipulation. In fact, the control is supposed to be located in a place where the driver can't get to it.

At the nationals last year they placed GPS devices in some cars to ascertain their horsepower, particularily 4WD cars, so that's going to become more widespread.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There are going to be any number of ways to cheat if someone really wants to. MoTeC ECUs have multiple mapping that can be changed on the fly (my car has this) so you one could have a low power map and a high power map...
Old 03-11-2007, 08:00 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Have you ever been out-pulled on a straight by a lesser car (I'm not talking about a better run off the last corner)? While this seems to occur somewhat commonly in PCA it has not happened to me yet in NASA. I think the classing with weighing and dyno's just works better. I was dynoed once in addition to at the beginning of the year and the results were within 1-2 hp of each other.

Mike
Old 03-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

At the first NASA-MA race this year at VIR, the 944SuperCup winner was* put on the dyno Saturday after the race. I came in 2nd and was not scaled or put on the dyno. I still have 2nd place points, so I guess the car passed the dyno and scale tests. Had no reason to doubt the car, as I could pull him in the straights as I should, he just out drove me.

*- I did not witness the dyno test, but I assume it went down
Old 03-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

At the race at NASA VIR race a couple of weeks ago I won the Sat. Super Touring 2 and wasn't weighed nor dynoed. In fact, I don't think anyone running in the Bomber race was dyno'd?.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:54 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I've been dynoed twice in one NASA GTS weekend before. I think it's a great idea. The management systems with multiple programs are the subject of a new rule this year if I recall correctly.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Tim
Racer

It costs $499 to dyno, last I heard, but oh, wow -- the SCCA gets you a discount of $200
$499 for a dyno pull you've got to be kidding me...

At our shop we will give you a baseline dyno pull for $75 , and this isnt one pull.. its usually set up on the dyno.. one or two pulls for calibration etc.. then the power pull..

I'm thinking of making my dyno portable and renting it to NASA
Old 03-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim
At our shop we will give you a baseline dyno pull for $75 , and this isnt one pull.. its usually set up on the dyno.. one or two pulls for calibration etc.. then the power pull..

I'm thinking of making my dyno portable and renting it to NASA
Yeah, that's what my shop charges for my annual certification pull for NASA GTS. Pulls done trackside to verify what's on the certification form are paid for by NASA.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
There are going to be any number of ways to cheat if someone really wants to. MoTeC ECUs have multiple mapping that can be changed on the fly (my car has this) so you one could have a low power map and a high power map...
The rule regarding adjustable engine management systems is that they must be declared in advance on the dyno certification form. If you are caught running one undeclared then you're DQ'd for the weekend. Obviously if someone is showing on track performance that is at odds with the dyno results, then this is the first thing the scruits will look for.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:33 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

its not that big of a deal. I ran the nasa, then PRC races for years and this new GTS series is a welcome change, as well as bringing the bmws and porsches back together.
The dynos are not worth cheating on. mainly due to the class ranges of HP. if you really want to "cheat" just put on slicks and you have an advantage far exceeding any hp gains of "cheating.

the HP to weigh ratios are so broad, that it only when you get in the boadering HP/weight range that it makes any difference. Most of the competitors know what kind of performance your car should have if you have a e30, 944 turbo, 928, e46, e36, 911, etc. go out there and pull 20hp out of your ecu and some one will know, plus the guy that would do such a thing, probaby wont be as talented of a driver, so it wont help anyway!

I was thinking of doing some GTS races this season, but the ITE with Scca is the best of both worlds, plus we get some vipers, mustangs, cameros, and many others to play with.

I hope to get in, at least a few GTS races, as long as some of the guys start to show up. the fields have been pretty light out west compared to the east coast NASA events.

MK
Old 03-12-2007, 09:19 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

they dyno your car after the race in impound
Jeff burger says,
"Pretty sad if you have to cheat in your hobby"
I agree!!
Old 03-12-2007, 09:51 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roketman
Jeff burger says,
"Pretty sad if you have to cheat in your hobby"
I agree!!
No doubt. I worked for PCA scruts as a local tech chair for 6 years and always wondered why guys would cheat at club level racing. A cheated win is not a win by any measure it is sad and hollow. OHOH a win while sticking to the rules against others that might or might not be is true victory.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:55 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
No doubt. I worked for PCA scruts as a local tech chair for 6 years and always wondered why guys would cheat at club level racing. A cheated win is not a win by any measure it is sad and hollow. OHOH a win while sticking to the rules against others that might or might not be is true victory.
x2
Old 03-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree . . . cheating is for losers. Is it really worth all the money, time, and effort to cheat just for a cheap little plastic plaque? And yes, the SCCA price is highway robbery. We HAVE to go to one of THEIR techs . . . however, this is heresay, albeit from a reputable source. I have not received this year's GCRs yet. Mark . . . nice pic at Sears! I love that place!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:17 AM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kurt M

agreed, if racing is not fun (win or lose) then dont do it. But you should not have to cheat to feel good. Hell, i have a ball racing with the 944 guys and I'm no where near the top!

GTS and ST(2, 1, U) are supposed to only let cars run with dyno sheets, but then again nasa really is good ole boys racing. Odds are someone in your series is running a car like yours they can give a "rough" estimate on HP and if you are legal or not. The first event at VIR was the first time I've ever seen a dyno at the track, but I hear its at VIR a lot.

Quick Reply: Is it true that the NASA race series has mandatory dyno pulls