Sponsored by:

PCA Racing School - Your Humble Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:04 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCA Racing School - Your Humble Opinion

Many times at PCA Driver Ed - we fall into a catch-22 situation. We have folks that really want to become race car drivers -- and we just want to do Driver Ed.

They come in fully stocked race cars - being a greenie isn't good enough... etc., etc., etc.

Part of me thinks it would be great for PCA to get these types out of our safety-first DEs into a racing school (you know, like the SCCA hosts) -- and leave DE to DE folks.

What is your opinion? Is PCA ready to develop it's own schools? If it does, what criteria do you think is needed to run one? How do we get the racing-wannabes a license to race -- without them gumming up the DE works?

Thanks for listening - I look forward to your opinions.

Jackie
Old 02-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PCA does have their own schools, they are called DE's, and im my humble opinion, they are as good, and in some cases better than SCCA's. I sure don't mean to put down SCCA schools, they are good, but PCA has always let people learn as fast or as slow as they feel comfortable. I have been doing DE's for 17 years, and I have never noticed a problem with either future racers or "just want to have fun" DE types. . There are usually 3 to 5 groups, and as far as I know, no one forces you to move up. Just drive the way you feel comfortable, and don't worry about other people. I have seen lots of people talked to or sent home for intimidating other drivers. If you feel uncomfortable about another car, talk to an instructor, and I will guarantee something will be done.

Thats the thing I like about DE's, there is usually room for everyone. I remember when I first came to PCA, I had an SCCA National License, and I thought I was a race driver. Wrong. PCA guys taught me how to drive. PCA does it better because the instructor rides with you, and gives pointers as you are doing it. In SCCA schools, the instructors stand on the side of the track, and tell you what you did wrong after you come into the pits. I have also never seen a PCA instructor push someone beyond their limits.

Once again, just my opinion.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 02-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

In my opinion you have to learn to walk before you run. I think PCA DE's are a good place for beginners to learn the basics of driving on a track no matter what their long term goals might be. If a novice is hell bent on becoming a racer as soon as possible its up to the instructors to keep him in line and make sure he learns the basics within the confines of the DE. If an instructor is unable to do that, then the CI needs to pair the student up with a more appropriate instructor.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

FYI, the BMW club offers an excellent club racing school all over the country. A fully caged race car is not required, and on the final day, full practice starts and a mini-race are usually part of the experience. Well worth it.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-16-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:09 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

PBOC has just introduced SUPER SOLO and I think it is an absolutely perfect segway into racing for those who want to go racing or just want something more than DE but do not want to take the next step into racing. Safety is the same as racing, unrestricted passing with point-by heavily suggested and NO current racing licenses allowed. Also, all Super Solo candidates MUST be solo for at least 1 year.

Agio or Mitch236, you guys want to chime in on this one since you guys are the Super Solo gods
Old 02-16-2007, 08:32 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
PCA does have their own schools, they are called DE's, and im my humble opinion, they are as good, and in some cases better than SCCA's.
Bill - just a reminder. PCA DEs were around since the 1960s. They were wonderful back then - they were used to teach guys in 356s and later 911s how to control their cars -- because so many Americans did not know how to drive a rear-engine car. Folks in PCA with experience and understanding of how not to let the rear hit you in the face -- showed others. Those were PCAs first DEs.

Many were in them then - and now. The DE is a "catch-22" situation with racing. You cannot get your Rookie license without going through DEs. I prefer Pete Trempers "Minimum Restrictions" for DEs - and let him put his what you need to know about safety for racing - back into racing.

Also - many of have literally laugh at the wannabes - we picture them in 5 years time owning boats and being out of the driving race... no pun intended. But for those years, they can make DE people's lives a true nightmare.

Yes, DEs are wonderful. And they sure do help you on how to handle your car better and be more observant. But for those guys that want to be racers - I really believe a new program should be born - one that gives the name racing school a good name - a place to put the person who wants their rookie license -- and let them put all the bells, whistle, roll cages, etc. into that environment.

P.S. I'm with you on SCCA. One day, I stood watching a Racing School they were giving. I complained about how they were doing it. Not teaching a line, no instructors in the cars, etc. etc. etc. They put me on our region's board... and then didn't let me vote at the meetings... LOL --
Old 02-16-2007, 08:44 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
FYI, the BMW club offers an excellent club racing school all over the country. A fully caged race car is not required, and on the final day, full practice starts and a mini-race are usually part of the experience. Well worth it.
Where do I sign up?
Old 02-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Where do I sign up?

http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/Info...ngSchools.aspx

And make sure you show up in this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custo...mZ290083004020
Old 02-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Barfly
Racer

That is total pimp. I want one.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pyruvate
That is total pimp. I want one.

Don't forget the special Nomex suit that comes with it:

Old 02-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Blackness
Pro

My god!...

That's almost as bad as a beat up Supra I once saw that had Ferrari stickers all over the inside of it.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:06 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Veloce, thanks for the first link, as far as what to show up with, I was thinking about a cup car. What do you think? A bit too soon....
Old 02-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

No, no, do it! Wear 7 layers of Nomex with The Racers Group all over it, and keep asking everybody you see "My last run group was Green....where are my grid girls?"

Seriously, though, Scott Hughes is a really good guy. He is the founder of BMW club racing. He has put together a solid race school curriculum.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

No, no, do it! Wear 7 layers of Nomex with The Racers Group all over it, and keep asking everybody you see "My last run group was Green....where are my grid girls?"

Seriously, though, Scott Hughes is a really good guy. He is the founder of BMW club racing. He has put together a solid race school curriculum.
You mean with a cup car I get the grid girls too?

I am going to BMW school, I am the perpetual driving student...
Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Barfly
Racer

I think green would match the car a bit better.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: PCA Racing School - Your Humble Opinion