Sponsored by:

The Problem with 13 / 13

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 11:05 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
This is a good reason for PCA to seriously consider amending the 13/13 rule, as they are not the only game in town for where racers can spend their money.
I believe the race last weekend at Sebring was the largest turn-out ever in PCA CR.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
The problem with the 13/13 is that it gives out the same penalty for minor contact with a tire wall as it does for a truely bone headed move that takes out two or more cars.
I'm with you on that one, Greg. The 13/13 concept clearly has helped minimize unsafe car contact and promote safer racing. Hey, who wants some wannabe or don't-give-a-damn racer banging into their car? But the current interpretation of the rule on single car incidents appears unduly rigid. Are we racing or are we not racing? Is racing not something akin to driving near the edge? Does driving near the edge sometimes have unpredicted results, even among very good and sane drivers? If something untoward happens, was there contact/damage involving another car as a result? How many, or what percentage of PCA racers, currently have 13's as a result of single car incidents? I would think that a driver who continues racing through not one, but two flag stations waving red flags (no 13 for that?), poses a far greater threat to track safety.

But hey, it was a great weekend. Hats off to the stewards who worked hard to make the races safe and fair.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:23 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Lots more cup cars from what I heard. I wonder if the other classes were larger too.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Pete
I just spoke with Whine Pablo Montoya who felt that the 944 had proper position and that Kimi,..........er, the 911 was completely out of line for being on line and not conceding the corner.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:10 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess Mike is MIA.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
I believe the race last weekend at Sebring was the largest turn-out ever in PCA CR.
The first PCA race of the season in the dead of winter may not be the best comparison. With PBOC, NASA and other venues, PCA has some competition. I don't think anyone is calling for a radical change but a finessing of the rules to reflect the desires of the club members.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:25 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

I personally think there should be some penalty for single car incidents. Yes it is racing, but I dont think people should be crashing all the time. My suggestion would be that a single car incident gets a "6 1/2"...i.e. it takes 2 to make a normal 13. Still gets the point across IMO.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Ernie J
Pro

Coiln, not a bad idea. Although some type of degree/level of 13' ing would be nice.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:44 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point Colin. I think that Club racing in the last 10 years has morphed from its original intention of being a step up from DEs, where you could still bring a stock street car and race, into pretty much a serious racing venue. With all of the safety equipment that you should run, and all of the preparation that it takes to run at the front, the days of race what you've got are just about gone. I think that the rules should reflect that, and maybe it is time to petition for a change, just like what occurs with the car classification rules. I think that most competitors have moved beyond the vintage mindset and though wanting protection from bonehead drivers, are willing to accept some dented metal in the course of close competitive racing.

It sounds like it is time for a poll. I'll put one up tomorrow, and hopefully we can get a large sampling so that we can present our consensus to PCA.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:20 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

The point of the 13/13 in a single car incident is that you must be in control at all times.Although I agree it could be modified,that is its basis.In terms of assessing blame in a 2 car incident ,it pays to have in car video to show the scrut.I got hit in 96 at summit,showed the video and was off the hook.Not a perfect system,but seems to work.
The NASA 13/13 seems to be more subjective,and less cut and dry .
go fast and take chances!! know your limits..and if you see Burger in your mirrors ,move over!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by roketman
The point of the 13/13 in a single car incident is that you must be in control at all times.Although I agree it could be modified,that is its basis.In terms of assessing blame in a 2 car incident ,it pays to have in car video to show the scrut.I got hit in 96 at summit,showed the video and was off the hook.Not a perfect system,but seems to work.
The NASA 13/13 seems to be more subjective,and less cut and dry .
go fast and take chances!! know your limits..and if you see Burger in your mirrors ,move over!!!
One other aspect of single car incident is if you hit something vertical (a wall is vertical) you get a 13, whether you hit it at 100 mph or at 1.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I personally think there should be some penalty for single car incidents. Yes it is racing, but I dont think people should be crashing all the time. My suggestion would be that a single car incident gets a "6 1/2"...i.e. it takes 2 to make a normal 13. Still gets the point across IMO.

I agree in principle. However, this makes even more work for the stewards, as they have to determine if, for example, your tire went flat, causing you to hit the armco, or you just ran outta talent.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I personally think there should be some penalty for single car incidents. Yes it is racing, but I dont think people should be crashing all the time.
Nobody wants cars flying off all over the place, but do we really risk having that if we get rid of single car 13's? Sliding off the track is already contrary to our goals of being on the track in the first place. It ruins your lap, can ruin your race, and can ruin your entire weekend. It can also put a big dent in your wallet. It should be self limiting. Why add the insult of a 13 when nobody else is harmed?

Besides, what is the difference between someone sliding off and narrowly missing a tire wall, and someone sliding off and nicking a tire wall? Nothing but luck in my opinion, but PCA's current system treats them VERY differently.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:35 AM
jester911
Drifting

I don't totally agree with the 13/13 but I do know that most tracks view PCA events a notch above some other groups out there because they take much better care of the facilities. For the most part the tracks are left in the same shape after the event.

Much of this has to do with the penalties for off track excursions. I do think there should be more case by case rulings. As we all know, it isn't all black and white.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Click Here to go to the poll.

Quick Reply: The Problem with 13 / 13