Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SeaCay's Sebring Pics (more pics added by request)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
FF,
It was good to finally meet you. Your times are very impressive, one of the crew for Mike's shop is building some 944 Spec cars to rent out, you ought to check someone around you that is doing the same and will rent them out.
Man, finally! Great to meet in deed!

There's one guy who rents a 944 race car he has and built (guy used to work at Butch Stokes which is very reputable shop down here) but it's pretty pricey (I think $5k for a weekend). Or maybe I'm just not used to race budgets...

I think for next year I could just ballast my 993 and race in D without any other mods to it. Just get new tyres and brake pads before the race and I'd be all set for the weekend?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:58 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaCay
I was checking my histogram, but obviously not enough. Still, according to the camera's sensors, the highlights aren't blown, looking at the images however, they certainly look that way.

I'm still learning (aren't we all) so thanks for a good critical eye.

Chris
Hey if you are looking at the historgram you are way ahead of the game. If you look at the first shot of Mark Anderson in the 928 you can see the details of the side of the car. There is some depth and texture to it, you can tell it is curvy. The next two if you look at the white cars they seem a bit flat, you can't see any shadows to help accentuate the shape of the car.

I am horrible at talking about Photoshop terms so I might be getting this all wrong. By dropping the brightness/exposure you'll keep in some detail in the white cars. You might be able to get some by increasing the contrast a bit too. To be honest I just paly around with it a bit until I have it going in the right direction. I need to learn Photoshop much better.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:32 AM
mtalx
Track Day

Seacay,

Very nice photos. Impressive work no doubt. You certainly have an eye.

matt
Old 02-13-2007, 10:39 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 798 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I think for next year I could just ballast my 993 and race in D without any other mods to it. Just get new tyres and brake pads before the race and I'd be all set for the weekend?
That's what I would suggest. You may need a few small items to be Club Race legal (kill switch, back brace) but those are inexpensive mods. You will also definitely need to make weight.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I think you could do just that. From what I remember your transmission and flywheel are stock. Suspension is free. Tires have to be DOT, brakes need to be the stock 993, not the TT or RS ones. Put the stock hood back on, no carbon body parts allowed to replace steel ones. I think that is about it and you would be racing.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Cory Jump
Advanced

Default Photos

Thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate your hard work. I look forward to seeing the photos.
We are in Fort Worth at Motorsports Ranch right now dropping of Glenn G's car 1250 miles so far with about 300 to go. Almost home

races on the schedule for near future

Barber
Texas World Speedway
Road Atlanta
Mid Ohio
Old 02-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Finn,

You'll need a window net, transponder, driving suit, shoes, gloves, etc., too.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Cory Jump
Advanced

Default Finn

FF,
With those times you would have given my good friend Wally Ruiz a run for his money in D. Wall won the sprint in D in a RSA, I think his times were mid 27's
Old 02-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Finn,

FF,
I have a window net that mounts directly to your window if you want it.
Transponder is available thru PCA. As fast as FF is he should have the suit, shoes and gloves anyway.
Kill switch is pretty simple, just make sure it is connected to the DME so it just the fuel supply immediately, not just to the battery.
I will let you borrow my HANS device if you don't have one, another requirement IMO, even in DE's considering your speed.

Check out the rules on the PCA site www.pca.org Also check the dates on your belts, they need to be less than 5 years old.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
That's what I would suggest. You may need a few small items to be Club Race legal (kill switch, back brace) but those are inexpensive mods. You will also definitely need to make weight.
Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I think you could do just that. From what I remember your transmission and flywheel are stock. Suspension is free. Tires have to be DOT, brakes need to be the stock 993, not the TT or RS ones. Put the stock hood back on, no carbon body parts allowed to replace steel ones. I think that is about it and you would be racing.
Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Finn,
Making a list here!!! (George Costanza's voice)

Some of the stuff I knew already but had the impression the brakes could be RS's. I was actually just about to get RS brakes but I guess I'll keep my stocks now, great timing Greg!
My tranny & flywheel are stock (flywheel was another one I've been wanting). Kumhos I'm using are DOT. Stock hood I've been wanting to put back anyway.

Some questions:
Can you have fiberglass bodyparts (I want to change the decklid to a lighter one)?
How do I mount the weight (in the passenger floor, correct or can it be in trunk)?
Do I need to put stock door panels back? How about rear deck & seats? No problem with the deck but I'd hate to put doors & back seats back in...

So far, missing:
-Kill Switch
-Back Brace
-Change the hood
-Add weight
-Window net
-Transponder
-Driving suit

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Cory,

I think I could give him decent run for his money, otherwise I wont' be coming!

Greg,

I'll take you up on your offer for the net. Have been thinking HANS already and now since I won't be getting RS brakes, there should be money for the HANS. And I agree that I should be using that and the suit already. I'm signing up for the PBOC supersolo and there suit is required anyway so I was gonna get it soon.

Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:14 AM
}{arlequin
Pro

Making a list here!!! (George Costanza's voice)

Some of the stuff I knew already but had the impression the brakes could be RS's. I was actually just about to get RS brakes but I guess I'll keep my stocks now, great timing Greg!
My tranny & flywheel are stock (flywheel was another one I've been wanting). Kumhos I'm using are DOT. Stock hood I've been wanting to put back anyway.

Some questions:
Can you have fiberglass bodyparts (I want to change the decklid to a lighter one)?
How do I mount the weight (in the passenger floor, correct or can it be in trunk)?
Do I need to put stock door panels back? How about rear deck & seats? No problem with the deck but I'd hate to put doors & back seats back in...

So far, missing:
-Kill Switch
-Back Brace
-Change the hood
-Add weight
-Window net
-Transponder
-Driving suit

Thanks a lot guys.
lol, well, you *knew* it was coming. at least you're not really fighting back once the bug has bitten
Old 02-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

don't forget your stickers and your "x"
Old 02-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
I personally hate overcast for motorsports photography. Here are 3 shots, the ChampCar is midday High Sun, the red Miata is late day low sun (the golden hour), the gray Miata is overcast. I find that reflections are larger in overcast days and really make the shots annoying to balance and always find they are the least marketable shots.
I had not done much action motorsport photography but, when I had to shoot cars (ad photographer for 13 years, now in real estate), I almost always had to have a person in the shot, and really disliked the higher contrast of very open sun and preferred the smoother look of a longer contrast range, one of the reasons the "golden hour" is cherished. Direct sun often meant I had to fly a silk over the whole damn set, a time-consuming and cumbersome approach that yielded results of a partly cloudy/bright overcast day. Other ways to make the higher contrast work was to use special effects such as cross-processed film, but that's old school.

I agree that the Miata shot lacks the life of the others but have found that adjusting the contrast and saturation in photoshop can really help. Your work looks really nice, BTW.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

FF,
RS brakes would be the same as the TT brakes and be a prepared modification and bump you to C.
I am pretty sure that your rear decklid/spoiler are no issue at all, most people have dumped the factory spoiler anyway and I have never heard anyone having an issue with what they were made of (fiberglass or carbon).

The rules say all the weight has to be in the passenger compartment.... if you mount the spare tire back in the front it helps too. You can use the RS panels for the doors, you need to have the rear deck carpeted. I don't think the seats need to be in because they would interfer with your rollbar/cage.

I think the back brace is only required if you do not have an FIA approved seat or if it is over a certain age.

Quick Reply: SeaCay's Sebring Pics (more pics added by request)