Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SeaCay's Sebring Pics (more pics added by request)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007 | 11:19 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Cory, too bad I didn't get to meet you, if I can ever figure out how to copy my mini-dv's to dvd, I'd send you a copy since you were in front of me for several laps. You were really tossing that little E class 964 around really well.
Old 02-13-2007 | 11:22 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

FF,
I will find the net and get it out to you this week.
Old 02-13-2007 | 11:25 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Some of the stuff I knew already but had the impression the brakes could be RS's. I was actually just about to get RS brakes but I guess I'll keep my stocks now, great timing Greg!
My tranny & flywheel are stock (flywheel was another one I've been wanting). Kumhos I'm using are DOT. Stock hood I've been wanting to put back anyway.

Some questions:
Can you have fiberglass bodyparts (I want to change the decklid to a lighter one)?
How do I mount the weight (in the passenger floor, correct or can it be in trunk)?
Do I need to put stock door panels back? How about rear deck & seats? No problem with the deck but I'd hate to put doors & back seats back in...
I do know you'll have to put the rear deck and seat cushions in. The seatbacks won't fit because of the rollbar, from what I recall. If you're in D stock, I think you have to retain the stock door panels but can remove pieces that interfere with the door bars of a roll cage. I see a lot of RS panels in prepared cars.

Ballast will have to be bolted to the passenger's side of the floor.
Old 02-13-2007 | 11:33 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I had not done much action motorsport photography but, when I had to shoot cars (ad photographer for 13 years, now in real estate), I almost always had to have a person in the shot, and really disliked the higher contrast of very open sun and preferred the smoother look of a longer contrast range, one of the reasons the "golden hour" is cherished. Direct sun often meant I had to fly a silk over the whole damn set, a time-consuming and cumbersome approach that yielded results of a partly cloudy/bright overcast day. Other ways to make the higher contrast work was to use special effects such as cross-processed film, but that's old school.

I agree that the Miata shot lacks the life of the others but have found that adjusting the contrast and saturation in photoshop can really help. Your work looks really nice, BTW.

After I posted that I played around with other shots from that overcast day. I could get the colors to pop pretty well but they seemed a bit fake. I'll admit I accentuated the dead look by choosing a gray car as well too . I can understand shooting overcast with people and possibly extra light sources so you get light on all subjects and minimizing shadows though.
Old 02-13-2007 | 11:35 AM
Cory Jump
Advanced

Default SEBRING RACE

Manny,

I enjoyed racing around you as well. I stopped by your paddock area a couple of times but never gotto speak with you. I had a great weekend and look forward to doing it again sometime.

If you do figure it out i would love to have a copy and would be more than happy to send you some funds for the dvd / shipping. This is the first event in a long time that I didn't get any video of my own. I left the camera at home.

Great looking car by the way.

Cory
Old 02-13-2007 | 11:57 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
FF,
RS brakes would be the same as the TT brakes and be a prepared modification and bump you to C.
I am pretty sure that your rear decklid/spoiler are no issue at all, most people have dumped the factory spoiler anyway and I have never heard anyone having an issue with what they were made of (fiberglass or carbon).

The rules say all the weight has to be in the passenger compartment.... if you mount the spare tire back in the front it helps too. You can use the RS panels for the doors, you need to have the rear deck carpeted. I don't think the seats need to be in because they would interfer with your rollbar/cage.

I think the back brace is only required if you do not have an FIA approved seat or if it is over a certain age.
Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
FF,
I will find the net and get it out to you this week.
Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I do know you'll have to put the rear deck and seat cushions in. The seatbacks won't fit because of the rollbar, from what I recall. If you're in D stock, I think you have to retain the stock door panels but can remove pieces that interfere with the door bars of a roll cage. I see a lot of RS panels in prepared cars.

Ballast will have to be bolted to the passenger's side of the floor.
Hmm... I need to read the rule book closely.

Back brace I need to get since my seats are fairly old (they're FIA though) but that's not a problem. Adding spare also.
Decklid is good news, weigth not a problem (do you just bolt some lead plates through the floor or?) but I really would like to keep the RS door panels and carpeted rear etc. I'd hate to put all that stock stuff in because it's just so uncool. I've seen a lot of cars with the rear decks so I guess it needs to be in.
Thanks guys and thanks for the net Greg, will have to bring "Finnish Breeze" next time (I was bringing but forgot it this year! )
Old 02-13-2007 | 12:00 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No reason that you can't keep the RS door panels. It doesn't say that your interior must be stock, it just must be there. You do need the rear seats though, so just pop in the bottoms & claim that the rollbar interferes with the seat backs.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-13-2007 | 12:13 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
No reason that you can't keep the RS door panels. It doesn't say that your interior must be stock, it just must be there. You do need the rear seats though, so just pop in the bottoms & claim that the rollbar interferes with the seat backs.
But then if it's all carpet, it's there, right?
( I don't mind putting seat bottoms back but rear deck I have problem with.
Good news re: doors!
Old 02-13-2007 | 12:22 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The rear deck isn't necessary and you would have to tear it up to get it to fit. I put it in on my race car but only after I gutted it, removed speakers, etc.
You won't have any issues with the RAS panels either.

You have time to get this together and get licensed and make it for Road Atlanta...
Old 02-13-2007 | 12:28 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
But then if it's all carpet, it's there, right?
( I don't mind putting seat bottoms back but rear deck I have problem with.
Good news re: doors!
a) RS door panels are definitely fine. I believe you will need the rear deck. You can actually gut the drivers door if you want door bars.

b) Only need the seat bottoms in the rear per what others have said.

c) You need a seat back brace if you do not have FIA seats and rails AND the seat is more than 5 years old. It's easiest to just put one in. Many people use the BK one.

d) Lead typically comes in 30lb blocks. Bolt it in front/under or behind the passender seat depending on which helps you corner balance best. Definitely put the spare back in to help put some weight in the nose.

e) Leave the brakes stock to stay in D.

f) You can replace the rear deck with a one piece FG variety, but it must be of a style that you could order as an option. So, whatever rear wings were available on stock 993s (not special wishes), you can put on in a FG version.

g) Hood must be stock. No FG body panels, except in as noted above.
Old 02-13-2007 | 12:39 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

"d) Lead typically comes in 30lb blocks. Bolt it in front/under or behind the passender seat depending on which helps you corner balance best. Definitely put the spare back in to help put some weight in the nose."

One of the scruits said not to use lead because it was relatively soft, but I know a lot do use it. Lead is pretty expensive in comparison to steel. What I did was take a template of the passenger floor and have a shop make plates from 1/4 steel and I stacked them to get the weight I needed. Held them in with four large bolts and plates underneath, double nutted them and loctited them on the top. Only downside is drilling four large holes in the floor.
Old 02-13-2007 | 12:51 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
f) You can replace the rear deck with a one piece FG variety, but it must be of a style that you could order as an option. So, whatever rear wings were available on stock 993s (not special wishes), you can put on in a FG version.
For a 993 I don't think you can use the RSCS wing since the blade is too high, your options would be the 3.8 RSR and RS wings.

FF, glad to hear that you may be joining the fray!
Old 02-13-2007 | 12:53 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think FF has the RS wing, which would be fine. Anything with a raised element is out, but there was a D class 993 with one this weekend.
Old 02-13-2007 | 03:32 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

You have nailed my problem with shooting white cars in general. I could influence the exposure compensation for the white, at the expense of other colors, or vice versa. Somewhere in there I'll find a happy medium, until then it's practice, and more practice.

It's always a good thing to get some critical eyes looking at your "work", so I really do appreciate the constructive criticism.

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
Hey if you are looking at the historgram you are way ahead of the game. If you look at the first shot of Mark Anderson in the 928 you can see the details of the side of the car. There is some depth and texture to it, you can tell it is curvy. The next two if you look at the white cars they seem a bit flat, you can't see any shadows to help accentuate the shape of the car.

I am horrible at talking about Photoshop terms so I might be getting this all wrong. By dropping the brightness/exposure you'll keep in some detail in the white cars. You might be able to get some by increasing the contrast a bit too. To be honest I just paly around with it a bit until I have it going in the right direction. I need to learn Photoshop much better.
Old 02-13-2007 | 03:41 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by SeaCay
You have nailed my problem with shooting white cars in general. I could influence the exposure compensation for the white, at the expense of other colors, or vice versa. Somewhere in there I'll find a happy medium, until then it's practice, and more practice.

It's always a good thing to get some critical eyes looking at your "work", so I really do appreciate the constructive criticism.

Hey I'll be the first to admit white cars are tough. The one thing I've learned is that shooting in .RAW allows me to cover up the many mistakes I make and learn how to correct them in the future. I'm not sure if you do, but with memory so cheap nowadays it should be the standard. However as I said before the pans are TOP notch and are a much tougher thing to get down than dealing with a white car in post processing.

I'm shooting most of the USERA Spec 9 series. If you are around for any of those, look me up. I might be able to get some credentials for you so you can get on the other side of the fence too. www.usenduro.com

Quick Reply: SeaCay's Sebring Pics (more pics added by request)