Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SeaCay's Sebring Pics (more pics added by request)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:01 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Cory:

Nice looking car, really easy to pick out of the crowd, and the colors are just fantastic coming from a Gator grad.

I have quite a few shots of you, I'll forward a DVD when I get a chance to breathe a bit.

Hope you have an uneventful return trip (including the car).

Chris

Originally Posted by Cory Jump
Hi Seacay,

It was nice to meet you over at the bar in turn 6, I appreciate all of your great photos! Thanks for all you hard work.

Cory Jump
Old 02-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
oohh looks like an inside pass to me , carefull finn has titanium supported front laser, bacoom modulators, he can melt your tires in seconds.......
It was other way around! And as you can see, I already were using my front lasers...
Old 02-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you happen to get any of car #88, red 944 Turbo S in E?
Great pics btw.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

FF,
It was good to finally meet you. Your times are very impressive, one of the crew for Mike's shop is building some 944 Spec cars to rent out, you ought to check someone around you that is doing the same and will rent them out.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:43 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Did you happen to get any of car #88, red 944 Turbo S in E?
Great pics btw.
Tons of that car, tons. Give me a chance and I'll post some up.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:56 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Very rudementary processing in PS. If I were to print any of these I'd do a little more custom work on each of them. Some of the levels are off as well as color, but that's the "auto" function of PS doing that.

I took all of the photos from public locations. I'd love to get credentials to see what I could accomplish, but I'll have to wait for that (perhaps John D could make me the official Rennlist PJ and get me some cred's for races like this... ). Anyway, making it easier to get something useful is the fact that I have quite an array of lenses to choose from. As posted earlier, these shots were taken with either a 500mm f4, 300mm f2.8, or a 70-200mm f2.8. A hefty dose of cropping during post processing makes a difference too, no guardrails if I can help it.

Clouds do not ruin the ability to take good shots. If you set your camera up for it, it can actually help out during mid-day (keeps the mid-day very harsh light down).

You heading over for the HSR races in a few weeks?

Originally Posted by mdrums
SeaCay....awesome shots! Did you run these through any post processing yet? I was there on Sunday but they put me to work up in timing and scoring so I did not get to shoot any photo's up there. I walked over to the end of the pits and tried to get over the bridge but some offical told me to stop. How did you get around to all these great locations? Anyway by the time I could get free to take some pictures the last Enduro was going on and the clouds came in...bummer! I did get some HDTV footage with my camcorder though!
see ya, Mike
Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Great shots SeaCay.

sorry we didn't get a chance to meet in person.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaCay

Clouds do not ruin the ability to take good shots. If you set your camera up for it, it can actually help out during mid-day (keeps the mid-day very harsh light down).
Absolutely. An overcast day is the world's biggest softbox and very flattering to cars and people.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:05 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Great shots SeaCay.

sorry we didn't get a chance to meet in person.
I have a ton of shots of the turtle car. In fact, my buddy asked me the significance of the turtle on your hood and doors.

I could never seem to find you while driving through the paddock umpteen million times. Looks like you had a good time, nothing broke on the car I take it?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:06 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Absolutely. An overcast day is the world's biggest softbox and very flattering to cars and people.

I'll leave the people photography to you and Graham though, wayyy too hard for me.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:45 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaCay
Very rudementary processing in PS. If I were to print any of these I'd do a little more custom work on each of them. Some of the levels are off as well as color, but that's the "auto" function of PS doing that.

I took all of the photos from public locations. I'd love to get credentials to see what I could accomplish, but I'll have to wait for that (perhaps John D could make me the official Rennlist PJ and get me some cred's for races like this... ). Anyway, making it easier to get something useful is the fact that I have quite an array of lenses to choose from. As posted earlier, these shots were taken with either a 500mm f4, 300mm f2.8, or a 70-200mm f2.8. A hefty dose of cropping during post processing makes a difference too, no guardrails if I can help it.

You heading over for the HSR races in a few weeks?
I was thinking about heading over for the HSR races and practice my photography. I do not have as many lenses as you but I use a Canon 20D with a 17-55 f/2.8 IS and a 100-400 f/4 L. I am thinking of getting the 70-200m f/2.8 and the wide angle 10-22.
If you get down to Tampa/St. Pete for the IRL/ALMS race I know some great sports for us civilians to shoot.

see ya, Mike
Old 02-13-2007, 12:55 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SeaCay, great shots, TOP NOTCH panning. For the shots with white cars being the center of the shot turn down the brightness (exposure if you shot .RAW) Wish I could have been there. Next time talk to the organizer about getting more access. However be aware that there are people at these events who are shooting images to make a living.

I personally hate overcast for motorsports photography. Here are 3 shots, the ChampCar is midday High Sun, the red Miata is late day low sun (the golden hour), the gray Miata is overcast. I find that reflections are larger in overcast days and really make the shots annoying to balance and always find they are the least marketable shots.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:01 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I was thinking about heading over for the HSR races and practice my photography. I do not have as many lenses as you but I use a Canon 20D with a 17-55 f/2.8 IS and a 100-400 f/4 L. I am thinking of getting the 70-200m f/2.8 and the wide angle 10-22.
If you get down to Tampa/St. Pete for the IRL/ALMS race I know some great sports for us civilians to shoot.

see ya, Mike
The 100-400L is a great lens for motorsports and one reason Canon gets people to buy Canon. There is no Nikon equivalent if there was I'd have it. Unless it's dark/overcast you don't need the big apertures of the big money lenses. When many people are shooting a 300 2.8 I'll shoot the 300f4 because it's lighter and the image quality is nearly as good. John Thawley who shoots ALMS and Grand Am was shooting 300f4 and 70-200 2.8 setup at Road America next to me at Road America.

I'd get the 70-200 before the 10-22 I have a 10.5 but I rarely use it. The 70-200 is my bread and butter lens.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:29 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

I was checking my histogram, but obviously not enough. Still, according to the camera's sensors, the highlights aren't blown, looking at the images however, they certainly look that way.

I'm still learning (aren't we all) so thanks for a good critical eye.

Chris

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
SeaCay, great shots, TOP NOTCH panning. For the shots with white cars being the center of the shot turn down the brightness (exposure if you shot .RAW) Wish I could have been there. Next time talk to the organizer about getting more access. However be aware that there are people at these events who are shooting images to make a living.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Jase, you and I guessed right. Big Blue II's fuel pump went up at 110K miles. All in all, I got home 12 hours later than planned...3Am vs. 3PM. The guys at the Winter Haven Goodyear went out of their way to get me back on the road asap.

Was the Colorado contingent the rig with 8 cars on an open carrier? If so, that was way cool!!! Got the gears in all the Cheasapeke contingent's heads thinking about doing something like that next year.

Quick Reply: SeaCay's Sebring Pics (more pics added by request)