Sponsored by:

Divorce lawyer - group buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Katie's advice applies to teaching your S.O.how to ski as well. It is a sound relationship indeed that lasts through a day of ski instruction!
Old 01-04-2007, 12:26 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,474 Likes on 2,070 Posts

When in doubt, just remember, "It's cheaper to keep her".

Seriously though,

I just bribe her. I'm going to Laguna Seca and the deal is I go to the track, WE get to stay in a bed & breakfast in Pacific Grove. Simple. When I'm done at the track, we spend time together. It works for me at least.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:14 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Pete
I just bribe her. I'm going to Laguna Seca and the deal is I go to the track, WE get to stay in a bed & breakfast in Pacific Grove. Simple. When I'm done at the track, we spend time together. It works for me at least.
Just when I thought racing couldn't get any more expensive!
Old 01-04-2007, 03:03 AM
ronbo56
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She's curious about my insurance policy.

That's hilarious; my wife and I were reviewing mine tonight. Over dinner. <so romantic>

I must say that I am extremely lucky. When I got the Ferrari my wife practically insisted I track the car with an instructor to learn how to drive the beast. When I came back from Lime Rock totally hooked, she told me that she couldn't have me going off every weekend putting all that sheet metal in jeopardy - I had to get a track car. That car, a 1986 944NA (for which I paid about the same as my dealer would charge for the front clip on the F-car), is currently having its first surgery on the way to its new life in 944Cup/SP2.

The point I made to her - maybe it's true or maybe I just have mad skills - is that with both DE and racing (a) cars and drivers have more safety features/equipment than on the street; (b) everyone is paying attention and is motivated to drive well; (c) no one is popping out of blind driveways or chasing a ball into the street; and (d) in a race prepped car there are additional safety features (cage, harness, HANS, fire system) that even DE cars don't always have. So, while it's possible to get hurt or killed, it's arguably safer to drive a car on the track (if you know what you're doing) than on the Garden State Parkway or Route 17. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Besides, I'm covered. :grin:

Oh, and as for getting my wife on track - NONONONONONONONO!! This is the woman who totalled our Chrysler 300 with 47 miles on the clock. Trust me, the world will turn more steadily on its axis if my beloved does NOT take to the track. On the other hand, she's covered too. Remember, its all about insurance: if you are covered under your life policy and if it won't cost too much to meet Mr. Armco, you're in.

By the way, this came up because my builder told me that I don't have to spring for the interior works (cage, seats, seat braces, harnesses) until I'm ready to start racing - i.e., toward the end of this season (I'll be doing DE's until then). Despite my being covered for tracking and racing, my wife thinks I probably should go for everything right now. (Maybe not the HANS until I start racing - I need to amortize my donut.)

Anyway, my advice would be (1) check the policy; (2) explain why racing isn't as dangerous as it no doubt looks; and (3) buy something cheap and nasty to run on the track. Don't run your beautiful TT or even your Boxter until you get good or your wife insists.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:18 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by genikz
Just when I thought racing couldn't get any more expensive!
Pfft. That's nothing. You're thinking Montreal for the F1 race and she says, "When's Monaco?"
Old 01-04-2007, 07:54 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
Pfft. That's nothing. You're thinking Montreal for the F1 race and she says, "When's Monaco?"

HA !

Had that exact question / converstion last June.

It is nice when you can share the same passion.

PS we're probably going in '08
Old 01-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honesty is the best thing for me, building up the future track car (will be finished in July!!!) I tell her EVERYTHING and how much expenses are etc. and she replies with, "honey I don't know what all this stuff is so don't compromise to make me happy, build the car of your dreams and let me ride in it with you..."

But when we're on the toll road in the 550i doing 135 she closes her eyes and squeezes the hell out of both arm rests...she doesn't complain, she just doesn't watch.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:40 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbo56
By the way, this came up because my builder told me that I don't have to spring for the interior works (cage, seats, seat braces, harnesses) until I'm ready to start racing - i.e., toward the end of this season (I'll be doing DE's until then). Despite my being covered for tracking and racing, my wife thinks I probably should go for everything right now. (Maybe not the HANS until I start racing - I need to amortize my donut.)
Sorry, thread tangent for a minute:

With all due respect, ditch your "builder" and keep your wife. DE can be every part as dangerous as racing as the speeds you will achieve will not be that different. Armco at 120mph hurts the same and does not distinguish that you were in a race or DE. Get the safety equipment now and find a mechanic who understands the risks involved and knows how to help you mitigate them (see some other threads where Redlineman points out crappy cage construction, etc). This advice includes getting the HANS now, too.

Also, it sounds like you are new to DEs. As such, I'm not sure if a season of DEs will be enough to adequately prepare you for racing. Please ask folks who race for an evaluation or consider my simple tests: if you have to consciously think about brake zones, turn in points, apexes, and track outs while you are driving, you probably aren't ready for racing. Further, if you can't turn your head 90 degrees (ok, I'll let you do 30 degrees with your HANS on ) while braking hard in the brake zone and still drive a good line, you probably aren't ready for racing...

Sorry for the tangent. My apologies for the rant, I just feel strongly about safety. I also feel strongly about racing qualifications (that could be me you turn into some day out there and I don't want that! Covered or not, it hurts!).
Old 01-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's some good advice from the Jupeman, IMHO.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:43 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

That's some good advice from the Jupeman, IMHO.
Written by two fellows who know of what they write!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:44 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

What really sold my wife on DE's was... a Ladies' Only DE! Our region (Rally Sport) held what I believe was their first last year. I think it was a huge success! There were plenty of women there, from rank novices (like her) to experienced. I let an experienced instructor teach her, as well as the other female friend who was sharing my car, and they both had a blast and learned a lot.

PS - "It's OK if you wreck the car" works a whole lot better when it's known to be a disposable car - like a '24...
Old 01-04-2007, 11:26 AM
ronbo56
Instructor

Whoa, fellas! Let's not get carried away by my feeble attempts at humor.

I have ZERO intention of running without appropriate safety gear, for me or the car - ZERO. The guy who is doing my car has a very solid reputation within NNJR for both quality and safety. I'm not naming him publicly out of concern for his privacy but you probably know him or know of him and he's not in the business of sending unsafe cars or drivers onto the track. I intend to keep both him and my wife. Honest, guys, we were only talking about whether he needed to install the cage, etc. before doing the suspension.

As it happens my wife and I were reviewing our insurance and it's true that she prefers that I don't drive an expensive car on the track, but I'm not suicidal and she doesn't want me dead. OK?

As for jumping straight into racing without sufficient experience, I may be slow but I'm not stupid.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:43 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

My wife's response to the discussion...
I swear, so many women make me embarassed to be counted among their ranks!
Needing "permission" for a hobby? Mom? Pretty please, can I go racing? How
emasculating can a woman be? ****, she should be required to get his
"permission" to take up scrapbooking...

...just had to interject that note of levity...
Old 01-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
My wife's response to the discussion...
I swear, so many women make me embarassed to be counted among their ranks!
Needing "permission" for a hobby? Mom? Pretty please, can I go racing? How
emasculating can a woman be? ****, she should be required to get his
"permission" to take up scrapbooking...

...just had to interject that note of levity...
Hey, I feel exactly the same way. WTF is this "permission" BS??? I can see if you can't afford it and you will be using food/clothing/mortgage money but getting permission???

Then again, my first two wives felt they owned my *** too....
Old 01-04-2007, 12:53 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Heh heh... "You can't be first, but you can be next!"

Quick Reply: Divorce lawyer - group buy