Sponsored by:

Divorce lawyer - group buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flying! That does it for me. My wife is quite understanding, to the point of approving the purchase of a dedicated tow truck because the Denali couldn't hack the 24' enclosed trailer we just bought. The time away from home is her biggest issue. Whenever she gets cranky about the racing though, I start talking about wanting to learn how to fly. Works every time!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:33 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll never be able to sell it in.

However, a strategy that I accidentally came accross is to continualy bombard her with details about what you plan to do and the difficulty of the decision. The more details you share and the more you talk about it the better. If she's anything like my wife she'll realize it's easier to let you buy whatever you want, do whatever you want to do than to sit and listen to the never ending discussion.

You can't use logic because there isn't any.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not racing ...yet! But I've been paying attention in the paddock for some time now. I proposed with her in the passenger seat, on the front straight, at her first DE! (See sig)
Old 01-03-2007, 01:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

That's a tough one!

my wife HATES this racing business. however, i tell her,its 6 weekends a year (usually goes 7 or 8) and thats my only outlet. (true). its more controlled than the DE stuff, as i rarely see as many incidents as i did when doing DE or open events. she buys it, is not happy, but i get the hall pass from april through oct. costs for me are easy to sell, as im the last of the great budget racers!
The costs for me is just entry fees and gas (as well as consumables) tires i get for free, and that helps.

MK
Old 01-03-2007, 01:44 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well,
For me... I started racing before I met my wife. So she knew I had a problem. Still married me however. Of course after I got married my race days dropped. Last year I worked out a once/month racing plan with total of about 6 to 8 events per year. Lucky for me just about all of them are local so I can race during the day and come home at night. I have to work hard to get overnight events and days to work on the car are limited. Thankfully the car requires minimal work these days.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:55 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put racing time in the pre-nup......
Old 01-03-2007, 01:59 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr.Porsche
Not racing ...yet! But I've been paying attention in the paddock for some time now. I proposed with her in the passenger seat, on the front straight, at her first DE! (See sig)
Off topic a bit
wow, thats about the coolest place I've heard about it thus far.. but whats the the X-ray of the helmet?
Old 01-03-2007, 01:59 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

I just filled out my 2007 datebook with all of my racing activities. Between my driving and flagging with CFR SCCA I will be gone 32 weekends. I don't even have time to find a "significant other", much less one who would put up with my schedule. Guess this is what is meant by "love of the sport"!

Last edited by dmw44; 01-03-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:04 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just made the switch last year, and just registered for the race as if it were another DE - never told her any different
Old 01-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
I just made the switch last year, and just registered for the race as if it were another DE - never told her any different
Very sneaky. Mine would find out. She's curious about my insurance policy
Old 01-03-2007, 02:33 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Flying! That does it for me. My wife is quite understanding, to the point of approving the purchase of a dedicated tow truck because the Denali couldn't hack the 24' enclosed trailer we just bought. The time away from home is her biggest issue. Whenever she gets cranky about the racing though, I start talking about wanting to learn how to fly. Works every time!
I think my Food Angel might give Manny's wife a run for the money on that understanding wife award. Katie has stood by my side while doing the Porsche stuff (she drives too, or used to), now racing, oh, and I also got my pilot's license in there somewhere...
Old 01-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I think my Food Angel might give Manny's wife a run for the money on that understanding wife award. Katie has stood by my side while doing the Porsche stuff (she drives too, or used to), now racing, oh, and I also got my pilot's license in there somewhere...

Let me know if you ever get divorced. I'll have a different set of criteria for my next. Just like Gary R
Old 01-03-2007, 02:48 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Funniest thread title I've seen in quite some time.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Janni
Intermediate

Safety-safety-safety.

Morethan likely, the DE times on the track are DANGEROUSLY close to some of the race times and DE participants are not required to have the same level of safety equipment. Most folks are getting better - but I feel TONS better having hubby in a full blown race car than in our street cars (as safe as they were)...

Fire suppression, a FULL cage, a fuel cell, HANS, full containment seat, racing radios, etc. In addition - during races, the safety crew is on 'full alert'.

Having had 2 accidents in 2 different race cars - he walked sway without a scratch. I shudder to think what would have happened in a street car, without the HANS, etc. Both of these incidents were not directly attribiutable to racing. First one was a spin on a damp track, happened at the wrong place and the tire barrier very nicely turned the car on it's roof. Second one was a car behind (not on the bumper pushing for position) lost control and blasted him at the apex of a turn. Impact was HUGE - but he was completely unhurt.

DO NOT tell her it's cheaper - she may buy it for the first time, but you will lose any shred of credibility you guys may have left. (been there, done that - ONCE...)

Again - I'd much rather see you guys in race cars and using every bit of safety equipment required for your series.

Please feel free to use me as a reference, ha ha ha.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Hi Janni - come here often?

Quick Reply: Divorce lawyer - group buy