Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who have done indoor karting.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by butzip
Mike,

IM me next time you are going, maybe we can meet.
Brgds, Peter
I'd be interested in getting together as well if you CT boys decide to meet up. Maybe we could put a little outing together. I could scare up a couple of PCA types to go. Can you rent the place out?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would be up for a CT meet as well
Old 11-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a Ribtect vest (www.ribtect.com) and it has worked very well for me.

Jeff
Old 11-29-2006, 02:12 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

cool, anyone intersted in central CT carting please email (not PM) me with your day phone#.
Usually it's Tuesdays and we can meet any where from I-84 exit 8 (my shop is right there and safe to leave cars here) on east towards the track. My email address is below.

p.s. yet another carting babe...

Old 11-29-2006, 02:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

BostonDMD,
There is little to nothing that you will learn by driving in the off season at F1Boston....at least that will apply to 'normal' track driving.

The karts are pretty much junk. The only way to drive a fast lap (assuming you don't get hit/punted about 100 times by other drivers or shown the penalty flag/sign) is to keep your right foot on the floor and use the brake occasionally.....not exactly the type of technique that is applicable to 'normal' track driving.

My son (13) spent 2 years driving indoors, then 3 years outdoor sprint karts.....even he won't go back to indoor, as he said it teaches him nothing but bad habits.

Just my 2 cents....

BTW, for karting info, try www.ekartingnews.com and go to the forums section.

For kart parts (rib protectors, etc) locally in MA, contact Roger at www.prospeedkartsports.com
Old 11-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
BostonDMD,
There is little to nothing that you will learn by driving in the off season at F1Boston....at least that will apply to 'normal' track driving.

[/url]
I guess the question I have is do you learn anything about racecraft rather than car control/driving technique?
Old 11-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,569 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
BostonDMD,

I vehemently disagree. They will teach you the conservation of momentum in corners, which, unless you drive a Viper & just don't care, is the way the TRULY great drivers differentiate themselves from the rest of us.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:11 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by ltc
BostonDMD,

The karts are pretty much junk. The only way to drive a fast lap (assuming you don't get hit/punted about 100 times by other drivers or shown the penalty flag/sign) is to keep your right foot on the floor and use the brake occasionally.....not exactly the type of technique that is applicable to 'normal' track driving.

My son (13) spent 2 years driving indoors, then 3 years outdoor sprint karts.....even he won't go back to indoor, as he said it teaches him nothing but bad habits.

Just my 2 cents....

For kart parts (rib protectors, etc) locally in MA, contact Roger at www.prospeedkartsports.com

A driver coach I've dealt with in the past who worked with a highly regarded coaching service can't say enough about driving karts, indoor included. His kid is always racing in them. The slow ones are especially good for speed conservation. The only bad habits I see people picking up are disregard for contact due to the bumper car steel shell around the kart. The bad habits begin to form when you get to the karts that have so much power a twitch in a corner hardly affects you.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I've driven F1Boston's indoor track (driving both tracks linked together) as part of the annual corporate challenge. A year of so ago, I was invited as sort of a 'ringer'....2 of my fellow teammates were from Penske's organization, one from his IRL team and one from his CART team. Yes, they were very good right out of the box.

I'll be driving there again in December as part of the Awards Banquet for the Outdoor League (the people who support the drivers get a chance to race....in my case I am my son's kart owner, mechanic, driving coach, transport driver, sponsor....so I qualify, as do other parents and people who support their driver during the season) and my son asked me to bring my helmet/suit and drive, so I agreed.

Again, IMHO, there is little that I found that translated to 'normal' track driving, based on the track (surface) and the karts (performance).
There is nothing that would make me a better driver during the 'normal' driving season, again IMHO.
The F1Outdoor www.f1outdoor.com track would probably be a better place to learn 'normal' driving skills, if you so chose....but during the non winter months, you'd probably chose to drive your car rather than a 9hp arrive and drive kart.

(Note: now, if you were talking about a Rotax or Shifter kart on the outdoor track, THEN the experience would be applicable, based on the performance/grip levels provided.)

I suppose it's a way to wait out the winter, get some "seat" time, learn to recognize/drive a line, but that's about it.

My suggestion....go up there and try it.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:17 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by ltc
I've driven F1Boston's indoor track (driving both tracks linked together) as part of the annual corporate challenge. A year of so ago, I was invited as sort of a 'ringer'....2 of my fellow teammates were from Penske's organization, one from his IRL team and one from his CART team. Yes, they were very good right out of the box.

I'll be driving there again in December as part of the Awards Banquet for the Outdoor League (the people who support the drivers get a chance to race....in my case I am my son's kart owner, mechanic, driving coach, transport driver, sponsor....so I qualify, as do other parents and people who support their driver during the season) and my son asked me to bring my helmet/suit and drive, so I agreed.

Again, IMHO, there is little that I found that translated to 'normal' track driving, based on the track (surface) and the karts (performance).
There is nothing that would make me a better driver during the 'normal' driving season, again IMHO.
The F1Outdoor www.f1outdoor.com track would probably be a better place to learn 'normal' driving skills, if you so chose....but during the non winter months, you'd probably chose to drive your car rather than a 9hp arrive and drive kart.

(Note: now, if you were talking about a Rotax or Shifter kart on the outdoor track, THEN the experience would be applicable, based on the performance/grip levels provided.)

I suppose it's a way to wait out the winter, get some "seat" time, learn to recognize/drive a line, but that's about it.

My suggestion....go up there and try it.

Just curious about a couple of things.

What about the indoor surface makes it a place where you can't learn how to drive better?

What about the karts makes them bad for learning how to drive better?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:08 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
BostonDMD,

Just my 2 cents....

Thanks for the info Itc.

I thought it would be better than just anxiously wait for the spring.
I guess I was right, those carts are slow.

Any chance you want to join us in the Monday night rookie league?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Never mind.
Please ignore anything I've said.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:15 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Totally do it. It might not *directly* apply to our cars but the skills you learn driving around the defects in the different karts (unless you are running your own.. every kart I've been in has quite different from the others.. even on the same day, same track.

I feel it's helped me strategize my passing, braking and finding a racing line for the kart in question.

Plus.. IT'S FUN AS H*LL!!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 05:19 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"keep your right foot on the floor and use the brake occasionally.....not exactly the type of technique that is applicable to 'normal' track driving."

Gee, thats funny, 'cause thats exactly how I used to drive my G car. Now, if I could only figure out how to do that in a 400 hp Cup Car, I would be a factory driver!
Old 11-29-2006, 05:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JimmiLew
"keep your right foot on the floor and use the brake occasionally.....not exactly the type of technique that is applicable to 'normal' track driving."

Gee, thats funny, 'cause thats exactly how I used to drive my G car. Now, if I could only figure out how to do that in a 400 hp Cup Car, I would be a factory driver!
Well, it's not really a lot of fun to keep your right foot to the floor for literally 45 minutes and never lift off.
If that is the definition of momentum driving, then I misunderstood.

Quick Reply: For those who have done indoor karting.....