Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who have done indoor karting.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you plan on going Karting I would strongly suggest one of these two devices( there are others). You will get bruises in other areas but the ribs take a beating.

Last edited by Mike K.; 03-28-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:15 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike K.
If you plan on going Karting I would strongly suggest one of these two devices( there are others). You will get bruises in other areas but the ribs take a beating.
Mike any specific sites where to buy those devices?
Thanks for the info.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:23 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekiller
Sounds good Boston, i have to check my finals schedule but i should be able to go sometime next week before I go back home for winter break .

I was thinking about doing the rookie league as well, because it's on monday nights.
Good luck on your finals! Let me know about next week.

The league on monday nights works well for me too.

May be we can get some local rennlist members to join our league and make it really fun..
Old 11-29-2006, 09:29 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

The local PCA group is planning an indoor session for February at http://www.grandprixgreensboro.com/ . Unfortunately, the PCA frowns on karting so it can not be listed as a PCA event, nor can it be listed in the Carolina Region PCA calendar.

We have the option of a one hour closed session for $900.00 and the second hour for $600.00.

What is the number of people that would justify adding the second hour?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:00 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have an indoor track in the DC area as well. Many years ago I started a winter PCA (also carefuly billed as a non PCA event) league and handed it over the next year to two good guys that are running very well. I had to drop out for $ reasons and the motors/cats were getting ragged out and the fumes were killing me.

Karts are a great way to learn Race Craft as you learn the skills of setting up other drivers to pass them and looking for weakneses to exploit. Great way to hone mental track skills and how to focus in on the task at hand while working big picture. You can learn to keep your head and not drive with your emotions.

Little/light weight guys do have an advantage but one night a 230 pound guy came in and just cut his way through the entire group on track. Was the Brazilian Kart champ or something like that.

Do it!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Mike any specific sites where to buy those devices?
Thanks for the info.
I haven't really done much shopping for them online but I bought the Tillet ladies ( cut outs for the *****)version for the girlfriend here
http://www.shkarting.com/New_SH_Site...sp?userLang=en
Click PRODUCTS , then RACEWARE.

The one pictured on the right is made by Sparco so, it should be easy to price online.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:11 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

hey Boston, I think you'll be amazed how fast those 'Slow' karts go, after 10 min seat time....

Look for fenders (bars or pods) , open wheels touching means big air... also look where your rt arm rests, often the muffler is very close and burns ar possible. a vest is a great idea, but you dont have to have it 1st time out...

-my tip for the indoor karts (4 strokes), is never lift on the gas, just apply brakes when you need them. you'll slow enough, and srub less speed. (2 strokes you need to lift!) (also its good practice for left foot braking!)

also, I think in the karts you tend to run more of a racing line, (blocking / protecting the line), as passing is allowed anywhere.. so thats different than DE's. But I think you'll find the experience helps your DE driving a lot.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

We're trying to set up a trial run at the Delaware Midatlantic Grand Prix for those in the Riesentöter PCA Region, but it's not a PCA event. If you are interested, go to the Riesentöter web site, follow it to the forum and look under social. There is a poll there to indicate your date and time preferences. Looks like Sunday, December 17th, at 11 AM is the leading choice so far.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:55 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the info, will be ordering a rib protector as my insides and ribs still feel all messed up today. Also I want to find out where this racer is running and if she can be caught

Old 11-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 823 Posts

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

She's PERKY!
I prefer the Tillet model (not just because it has the boob cutout) because it has a rigid surface all around, not just spotty padding . It's probably not as comfortable but does the trick.
The rib pain from Karting is strange because it doesn't seem to be the ribs but the tissue between them.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:15 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

I used to work at an indoor Kart track. Great job... but didn't pay enough. The fastest way around that track once you got fast was to never lift the throttle and never touch the brake. Sliding the back would let the motor stay spooled up.

The 4stroke hondas are a great work out and great training, but still nothing like ICC shifter karts. Shifters are more brutal in every way than indoor karts.

Link for vests:
http://www.cometkartsales.com/store/apparel/vests.htm
Old 11-29-2006, 12:19 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by JustinL
IThe fastest way around that track once you got fast was to never lift the throttle and never touch the brake. Sliding the back would let the motor stay spooled up.
Funny, that is very nearly exactly the same way you need to drive a n/a 944.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:53 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Or a 912...

short of a premade protector some of the sorness is from using body parts you don't use much to pin yourself in the seat. This lends to the sore arms and rib meat. Throw rug non slip padding works to help keep you planted in the seat without slopping back and forth. Cut a strip that matches your butt and back and set it in the seat. A little double stick carpet tape on the top edge will hold it in place and the carpet double stick tape keeps it stick even after many placements and removals.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:59 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good to see I'm not the only dirty old man on here. One more for good measure.

Quick Reply: For those who have done indoor karting.....