Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who have done indoor karting.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:36 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default For those who have done indoor karting.....

in the off season to keep their skills sharp.

Are they a mild substitute to a DE event? Do you belong to an adult league?

What kind of karts do you suggest (size and hp) to practice car control skills?

In the boston area there is an indoor kart facility http://www.f1boston.com/, I have raced there once, but the karts seem kind of slow.

Any suggestions from the pros?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

DO IT. Slow? It's all about conserving momentum!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:18 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep - doesn't matter how slow or what exactly it is - as long as you've got some kind of timing system and you can measure your performance and improve. I've done both slow indoor karting, and very fast outdoor karting, and I can honestly say that neither really feel "better" in terms of making me a better driver - they're just different. Outdoor 125cc karts definitely have more pucker factor, though, and are more fun to drive but more of a PITA if you have to schlep one around.

I'm also selling my kart - because I've figured out that over the long haul it's costing me $40-$50 per hour to run it, and for that same price per hour (roughly) I can simply drive a few miles to a local indoor track, without having to load up, drive forever, and do all the maintenance.

I say whatever is most convenient and within your budget you should do it - the karting feel in any case is way different than a car - but the same basic rules apply in terms of being smooth, and developing speed sense, to get faster.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:39 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
DO IT. Slow? It's all about conserving momentum!!!
That's what she said!

Seriously, I am signing up for the adult league, I need some kind of adrenaline fix, even if at a slower pace.

I just can't wait till next spring....
Old 11-28-2006, 10:10 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving Karts is also a great way to determine who buys the beer!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Conekiller
Racer

BostonDMD
I was also thinking about going to kart f1 in the off season. (i go to school at northeastern) i haven't been there yet but have done indoor karting back home in CT. Are you going to do the rookie league or a private league?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:20 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Conekiller
BostonDMD
I was also thinking about going to kart f1 in the off season. (i go to school at northeastern) i haven't been there yet but have done indoor karting back home in CT. Are you going to do the rookie league or a private league?
I was thinking about the rookie league, so I could feel like "the big fish in the small pond", but I am open to suggestions.

PM me if you want to meet at F1 and take a few laps.

BTW You need a stress release from all your studying....
Old 11-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I was thinking about the rookie league, so I could feel like "the big fish in the small pond", but I am open to suggestions.
Do the opposite: get into as advanced a league as you can....ane use every lap as a learning experience.

You wanted to move from Green to Black? Here is the way to do it.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

We have a facility like F1 here called Chicago Indoor, though I did not join any league. Been karting all year (even in the summer) because it is fun and builds feel, just a friend and I dropping in 1x week.

I do not club race (yet) so from a DE view, the fact that most of the karts are pretty much even makes driving the racing more fun. Nothing like having a guy about your same weight go .5 sec faster than you in the same kart on the same track to show you that there is more speed out there.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Conekiller
Racer

Sounds good Boston, i have to check my finals schedule but i should be able to go sometime next week before I go back home for winter break .

I was thinking about doing the rookie league as well, because it's on monday nights.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:15 AM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

Indoor karting is awesome during the cold winter months. There's a place not too far from home w/basic Honda 4-stroke karts (9hp IIRC) and we average about 40mph on a 42-44sec lap with lots of twists and turns and about 4 hairpins.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:25 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Man I wish I had something like that near me. All I can do is wait for the lake to freeze and drive on it.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:26 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

THere is a new track in central CT, Wallingford and I went for the 3rd time tonoght. ON TRACK KARTING. Met a bunch of PCA and BMW club and autocross guys there by coincidence. Hit the wall pretty hard banging my right side, hope no cracked ribs or internal injuries. Need to bring some serious padding next time. It's a great track, pretty fast and technical. Tires you out in 10 minutes, even the kids come off the track sweating and panting.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:39 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
THere is a new track in central CT, Wallingford and I went for the 3rd time tonoght. ON TRACK KARTING. Met a bunch of PCA and BMW club and autocross guys there by coincidence. Hit the wall pretty hard banging my right side, hope no cracked ribs or internal injuries. Need to bring some serious padding next time. It's a great track, pretty fast and technical. Tires you out in 10 minutes, even the kids come off the track sweating and panting.
Mike,

Kart Trak here in Windsor Locks CT closed at the end of October. Very unfortunate since it was/is 5 minutes from my house. I have since heard about OnTrack karting in Wallingford, went to the web site. What a place. Rates are comparable to the old KT and the facilities are superior. Track is twice as long and the sessions are a couple minutes longer. I'm pumped to go there asap. I I have a mailing list of friends PCA members auto-x freaks DE junkies etc.. that get the message whenever we have the urge to go. I would love to get a team together for one of the enduros. IM me next time you are going, maybe we can meet.
Brgds, Peter
Old 11-29-2006, 12:45 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

BTW - Hope you're not seriously injured. And you're not kidding about the physical demands involved. I could never do more than 3 '7' minute sessions at KT without serious arm pump.

I ran 125cc shifter karts down in Alabama, now that's a whole nother ball game 0-100 in 6 seconds and 2.5 G's is no joke and second only to an F1/Cart indy car. Unfortunately, the average person is not going get in one and have fun. They make your Porsche feel like a fiat 500, that's the only down side.
Brgds, Peter

Quick Reply: For those who have done indoor karting.....