Race tracks in Dallas Area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 04:14 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Race tracks in Dallas Area?

Hi guys,
I currently live in the UK (Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Donnington, Castle Combe, Spa....) and could be moving to the Dallas area in the not too distant future. What tracks are there, if any, in Texas?
What series can one race in down there? I like endurance racing, 1 to 6 hours races (probably not good enough for ALMS though)
Thanks
JM
Old 09-07-2006, 04:28 PM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motorsports Ranch is just southwest of Fort Worth and a very easy drive from anywhere in DFW.

Texas Motor Speedway is just north of DFW airport though only rarely has sportscar events of any kind.

Texas World Speedway is down in College Station ~ 4 hour or so drive I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong here, I rarely make that drive).

Hallet is just outside of Tulsa, Oklahoma and is also not a terrible drive.

For endurance racing, depending on your skill level and funds, Grand-Am Cup might be the right level. Races are between 2 hours and 6 hours, though there could potentially be a 12 hour race next season depending on how the 6 hour season finale goes this year.

PCA also has a club racing series, that while mainly sprint races, does have endurance races at more and more of their venues. These are typically 1 hour to 90 minutes in length and usually great fun.

So what's potentially bringing you to Dallas?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:39 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Brian, don't forget Eagles Canyon (http://www.eaglescanyon.com/), just north of DFW area. I have a feeling it will be up and running fairly soon. Even though I am member of MSR, I can't wait for another real road course that's less than an hour away.

George
Old 09-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

On this subject, can anyone educate on residential property taxes in the DFW area. ALso, any vintage racing events in the area?

Contemplating escaping the property tax nightmare we are living down here and my choices are either DFW or Atlanta area as I need an airport with direct flights to "exotic" international locations. But I must have racetracks close by...

Appreciate the help. You can email me at Juan at alteregoracing.com

Cheers, Juan
Old 09-07-2006, 05:41 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Juan,

Relatively speaking, real estate is fairly cheap in this area, thus lower taxes. Property taxes vary depending on city/suburb. I'm not an expert by any means but mine run at around 2.5% to 3.0%.

CVAR is very popular down here. I wish my car qualified. I hear they get a pretty good turnout with lots of events close by.

George
Old 09-07-2006, 06:14 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
On this subject, can anyone educate on residential property taxes in the DFW area. ALso, any vintage racing events in the area?

Contemplating escaping the property tax nightmare we are living down here and my choices are either DFW or Atlanta area as I need an airport with direct flights to "exotic" international locations. But I must have racetracks close by...

Appreciate the help. You can email me at Juan at alteregoracing.com

Cheers, Juan
Hmm, have you been reading my mind juan ?
Old 09-07-2006, 06:18 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 255 Posts

You can build a house at Motorsport Ranch if you like. Taxes are dirt cheap in that county, but for a reason, I wouldn't want to send a kid to school there.

Track website: www.Motorsportranch.com

My house on the track: www.BigBendVilla.com
Old 09-07-2006, 06:19 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
Juan,

Relatively speaking, real estate is fairly cheap in this area, thus lower taxes. Property taxes vary depending on city/suburb. I'm not an expert by any means but mine run at around 2.5% to 3.0%.

CVAR is very popular down here. I wish my car qualified. I hear they get a pretty good turnout with lots of events close by.

George
Plano is 2.5%
Old 09-07-2006, 07:03 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Regretfully, my car does not qualify for CVAR....

Reading your mind A. Wayne? I guess we all are down here....
Old 09-07-2006, 08:30 PM
JayP
Pro

Don't forget Racer's Ranch east of Dallas.

I go this weekend to MSR... for the first time with the 944! Woo!
Old 09-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

There's also MSR-Houston which has been getting mixed reviews.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
Brian, don't forget Eagles Canyon (http://www.eaglescanyon.com/), just north of DFW area. I have a feeling it will be up and running fairly soon. Even though I am member of MSR, I can't wait for another real road course that's less than an hour away.

George
Yup. Solid guys putting that deal together.

Texas property taxes, as others have said, are 2.5% to 3% of assessed value, which is usually at or slightly below actual market value.

Some VERY good PCA folks & track events (DE's) in Texas. Lone Star PCA does 5 or 6 events a year, split between TWS and MSR Houston, although they will not be returning to MSR Houston in 2007, only TWS. Hill Country PCA also uses both TWS and MSR Cresson (Ft. Worth), and Maverick PCA puts on another 4 or 5 events a year at MSR Cresson, utilizing its new 3.1 mile ultra-technical configuration. They all run very good shows.

And yes, CVAR is big in Texas, with HUGE fields at many events. No other vintage sanctioning bodies race in Texas, however, as far as I know.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:12 AM
JayP
Pro

Why has MSR Houston lost favor?
There's another group who may pass on MSRH in '07.

CVAR is great to watch. I hope they plan more events at MSR.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Somewhat dull track. 4 straightaways connected by an autocross course.

Long hike from where a lot of racers live (DFW area) for a so-so track.

Last time I was there, the track was already degrading into gravel in a couple of corners, even though it has been open only since last December. Hopefully, those spots have been repaired, but it makes you wonder.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:21 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Jay, many just don't like the track layout in Houston. Also, I've heard they are getting a little strict/rude/unreasonable in managing the track.

Juan, you could always race with NASA down here. I planned on doing some races with them but they just didn't fit into my schedule. SCCA is not very in the DFW area but I hear there is a deal in the works for a race at MSR. It's a start.

George

Quick Reply: Race tracks in Dallas Area?