Sponsored by:

Race tracks in Dallas Area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:06 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
Finally, why does everyone that claim great times never use a transponder? Hell, if you really want to see your real times, rent one from the office. BTW, those time would have put you on pole for the C class cars. Now, do you really think you ran anywhere near a 2:25? There are typically two yellow GT3 with black wheels, one has black stripes on the sides, neither one is that fast.
I don't think you can rent transponders because of the insurance company. With that said I don't think it would be the greatest idea because then people will get the idea they're racing... or something like that.

and +1, Maybe it was a 2:35?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:22 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 255 Posts

The office will loan you a transponder on member days. I've never even seen them charge for it, though that could have changed.

During DEs having a transponder does not help since they either don't run the system or simply don't provide printouts. You might be able to talk them into letting you see a run time during a DE, but its not standard procedure.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:21 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Greg, they typically have the transponder system running unless it's a club race weekend. That's when they have to let the club hook up their own computer. I always get my printouts since I have a hardwired one in the car during DE's. They might only rent to members though. Hell, I have an extra rechargeable one that people use all the time during DE's to get their times.

I'm with you on the 2:35, I think he's mixed up a little. The only guys in the white run group that get into the mid 20's are Doug B. in his silver GT2 on MPSC's and the one of the Autobahn E46 M3's on slicks. There is maybe a handful that get into the high 20's.

G.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Geo, that weekend (2 weekends ago), the 2 fastest cars on the track all weekend were Doug in his GT2, whom I am guessing was doing 2.22's or so, and that young guy in the red GT3 on stickies, who was actually as quick or quicker than Doug. That kid (I forget his name) has real talent & a well set up car.

That said, if I could do 2:28's & 2:29's my first time in Bill K's 225hp J-Prepared 325i w/o aero (and with a serious vacuum leak that significantly hampered WOT power), I imagine that (before I corded 3 of 4 tires) I was doing at least that in my M3. I know I was much quicker & more confident in my own car in a bunch sections...but my car is a lot heavier than Bill's. So let's say I was doing 2:27's, to be conservative. I have a lot more brake than Bill's car, for one thing, and I can really make time under braking.

So is it possible that this person is doing 2:26's? Yes, depending on their car & their talent.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:10 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Dave, you are right about the red GT3. I forgot about him. He get's lots of help from the Ruf guy that races in WC. He is pretty fast. I would be amazed if Doug was in the 22's, I will have to give him my transponder one day.

Now Dave, you are pretty damn good, you've raced in WC, you know what you are doing, and you can barely get to those times in a well prepped car. Do you really think a newbie can get down to those times, especially with the comments he has made?

G.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

LOL... Well, I did qualify my comment:

"So is it possible that this person is doing 2:26's? Yes, depending on their car & their talent."

Theoretically, yes. In actuality? I will not judge that here. I will say three other things, though:

1) I was actually able to hang with Doug & Red GT3 Boy in many of the corners, but I would disappear in their mirrors on the longer straights. GT3 Boy was faster than Doug in the corners, but Doug's car has more motor. But I could hang with them thru Rattlesnake and the tighter sections of the new track. Really surprised me...

2) Mark Plummer is the Ruf guy who actually races in Grand Am. Nice as heck guy, helluva driver. I did not know Red GT3 Boy was being coached by him. That explains a lot!

3) The yellow GT3 with the black wheels C2 Carrera mentions--Tony--is a fast car. However, I went out in their group once, and was easily able to get by him after a couple of laps with my measly 240 bhp. So I tend to believe that you are correct and that 2:26 is not realistic, but instead is probably 2:36. But who knows?
Old 09-12-2006, 01:02 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Dave,

Was Mark around during the weekend? You know he takes out the red GT3 once in a while. It could have been him that was driving that fast. BTW, Doug said he was still not fully comfortable with rwd. He said there was a night and day difference between his old 996TT and the GT2.

G.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I did not see Mark. AFAIK, the kid was the sole driver. He IS fast, though, and clean.

Yeah, I'll bet Doug is learning how to deal with oversteer for the first time ever!!
Old 09-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George A
The only guys in the white run group that get into the mid 20's are Doug B. in his silver GT2 on MPSC's and the one of the Autobahn E46 M3's on slicks. There is maybe a handful that get into the high 20's.
I think I know of the silver GT2 you speak of, but not 100% sure. I do know of that red GT3 with the funky looking(looks homemade?) exhaust and a UCLA license plate frame. The White autobahn M3 is/was fast too.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:56 PM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

That red GT3 is piloted by Geoff Allen, he gets a lot of help from Mark Plummer (Ruf) and Gladwill. He's not as young as he looks (yep, like I'm only 26!).
Old 09-12-2006, 11:24 PM
JayP
Pro

John Gladwill was my very first DE instructor 10 years ago. The ride-along in his 944 made such an impression on me that I made getting a 944 a priority when I had a chance.

It's been a while since I've seen him at a DE. I need to get out more too.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JayP
John Gladwill was my very first DE instructor 10 years ago. The ride-along in his 944 made such an impression on me that I made getting a 944 a priority when I had a chance.

It's been a while since I've seen him at a DE. I need to get out more too.

He was at the PCA event there 2 weeks ago, but only for Saturday, and as a driver, not an instructor. Helluva good guy, helluva driver.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:54 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

John's great, one of the few that I would let touch my car. I hate it when he does this though: Fun with John Makes me really feel like an amateur. He gave me so much crap over that..... BTW, don't look at my lines, they sucked. The guys that set up my car at the track had the kinematic toe set at the complete opposite of where is was supposed to be. Luckily John just took a quick look and found the problem. I haven’t talked to him in weeks, maybe I’ll give him a call.

G.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Schumi chop + finger = great fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:50 AM
JayP
Pro

John and I run in different circles... I've only had the Porsche about 2 months, so no PCA stuff yet.

Interesting lines on the new section. I may start a thread about lines thru there. Should be entertainment (work distraction) until the weekend.

Quick Reply: Race tracks in Dallas Area?