Sponsored by:

Road America Race Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 10:15 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
You forgot to mention passing me on the last lap of the enduro. Damn cup car. Oh well, you may have gotten by anyway.

Great weekend so far.
Jim

(Btw, your qualifying time was insane, nicely done!)
Old 09-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
With the help of Katie (Food Angel) and another helpful soul, we did the Nascar style tire change, leaping over the wall with the jack. Sure enough, his right front was only at 13 psi (I still think he could have driven on it ).
Yeah, jumping over the wall with a tire was bad ***.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting the pics! Esp the Speedster! Can't tell you how many times I have had to bang on the starter with a brass hammer. It's a great car, and you should know that it has been a race car since new,as I understand it. Friends of mine own it, but I've spent lots of summer days by her side. I be up at RA tomorrow...Good Luck All!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:42 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations guys! Colin, that win will come, and if it does at Daytona, I'll be there to see it. Just reviewed the plans with my wife and everything is a go; see you there!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:02 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Colin,
I think I have the pump you need sitting at home in the garage. Ping me if you need it. As everyone has said, great weekend so far. Managed a 3rd in GTC3 in the enduro. Not bad I guess for an old guy in a 6 year old cupcar Another 6 year old cupcar won the class & overall! Congrats Chris! 2000s rule

PS: Great meeting you Dr. Jupe.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:44 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks. I plan on running tomorrow unless it rains. I was horribl in T3 and T5 but catching everyone in the kink and the carousel.

After qualifying someone from one of the other race shops said I needed to grow some "Huevos" ...... I guess I found em.

All but the best are leaving tons of time on the table in the carousel and kink. Left foot braking baby!

Whether your cup car makes 330 RWHP or 360 RWHP - if your not about flat thru the kink - forgedda boudit

Clean racing by all. Glen Gatlin rattled me pretty good during the last few laps. Damn he brakes late! If I had known it wasn't for position I would have let him go.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:31 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 830 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
Colin,
I think I have the pump you need sitting at home in the garage. Ping me if you need it. As everyone has said, great weekend so far. Managed a 3rd in GTC3 in the enduro. Not bad I guess for an old guy in a 6 year old cupcar Another 6 year old cupcar won the class & overall! Congrats Chris! 2000s rule

PS: Great meeting you Dr. Jupe.
Jim -- that would be huge! I will come and find you on the track today. Btw, I finally understand why your 2000 looks like a 997 in your avatar .

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Congratulations guys! Colin, that win will come, and if it does at Daytona, I'll be there to see it. Just reviewed the plans with my wife and everything is a go; see you there!
It wasn't so much the class win, but that fact that I was in overall 1st. I managed to finisih 2nd overall at the Mosport Enduro, but that was more attrition by a few faster cars than my drive. I have done one other race where D was the top class, and even the a well driven GT5 car is very tough to beat. It would have been nice to be the first guy to take the checker. Of course, this is all for fun, so it's not like I'm gonna lose a sponosr or something. Hopefully I can get the car fixed and at least drive today. Btw, as much as this pains me, I know that I still did the right thing. I was not safe out there, and didn't want to cause someone else to crash because I had to go so freaking slow into the brake zone.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:00 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

JW, thanks so much for stopping by. It was great meeting you. Nice job in the enduro!

Larry, awesome news about Daytona! We'll see you there. I'll try to talk JimB into coming to the Glen race next year. You guys would have quite a C class battle!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:08 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Larry, awesome news about Daytona! We'll see you there. I'll try to talk JimB into coming to the Glen race next year. You guys would have quite a C class battle!
The Glen is on my list. Maybe we can start an east coast - MN rivalry. You and Jerry, Colin and Bob, Larry and I. Sounds like fun although I'm planning on selling my C car after Dayton.

Hopefully it'll stay dry today and we can have another go at it.
Jim
Old 09-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Thanks. I plan on running tomorrow unless it rains. I was horribl in T3 and T5 but catching everyone in the kink and the carousel.

After qualifying someone from one of the other race shops said I needed to grow some "Huevos" ...... I guess I found em.

All but the best are leaving tons of time on the table in the carousel and kink. Left foot braking baby!

Whether your cup car makes 330 RWHP or 360 RWHP - if your not about flat thru the kink - forgedda boudit

Clean racing by all. Glen Gatlin rattled me pretty good during the last few laps. Damn he brakes late! If I had known it wasn't for position I would have let him go.
Thanks Chris, great drive! I codrove in three cars yesterday. In the 88 car the grid closed on me and rather than begin in 7th where I qualified I was back around 25th by the start. I got by everyone and was in first over all when I pitted to change drivers but ruined the drive for a pit speed infraction on pit in. Still feel very badly for my car owner for that. Found a 2:18 in that car. I then hopped in the other Cup and came out and there was Chris, we had a great race for the last few laps of the race! Chris is truly a great driver and I will go door to door with him anytime, no chopping or cheap nonsense just good clean fun! In the second enduro I had to give up first as the throttle kept sticking open, first time Ive gone through 6 at full throttle, full ABS and full brodie....woohoo. Still came in second overall but would have been third if not for Colins mechanical failure. Also props to Spencer ***, great driver and also one to trust when close by!! Great drives guys, really enjoyed it. Wow , we are so blessed to be able to come run these cars and hang with great guys! Congrats to JW for his third in class what a great drive, another 2000 car out there kickin butt. I still need to go much quicker through the carrousell and the kink, Chris, Jay and Spencer were crushing me through there!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:35 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks alot Glen for the kind words. Not sure about the "no nonsense" part as I am sure I looked mighty sloppy in a few of the turns when you "took the air off my spoiler" as we say in North Cacalacky. Thanks for giving me room when I blew T5.

My only disappointment thus far is that my best time was 2:20.009, still out of the teens. I will look at my mylaps.com data but I think I was consistent 2:22 in the race.

At the end of the race my front pads had literally 1.5 - 2MM of pad. This is after starting on new rotors and pagid blacks Sat AM. Maybe an issue there.

If it does not rain today I will be back lookin for my 2:19. I have written off the chance of a 2:18 in this car.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:57 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 830 Likes on 417 Posts

Final Day Update:

While it looked touch and go for a while, it stayed completely dry all day. It was mostly overcast, but reasonable cool.

In the green sprint, Robert Viau (F 2:39.4) took the overall win, with Mike Iapaluccio (G 2:40.1) and Steve Boris (F 2:39.5) in 2nd and 3rd. Other class winners were Dick Strahota (H 2:445.9), and Mitch Richard (I 2:48.3). I didn't get to watch much of this, so I can't really add much color commentary.

In the red sprint, the top 3 overall were Bob Faieta (GTC4 2:17.6), Chris Brown (GTC3 2:19.9), and John Crosby (2:20.5). Spencer *** also had a great run with Chris Brown, but spun off into the T14 gravel on lap 10 ending his race. Watching those two swap the GTC3 lead back and forth was really a treat to watch. Bob Faieta also had a great battle with Steve Goldman in his GTA. They swapped the overall lead a couple of times, and man did they haul in T5. Last on my top favorites to watch was Bob Van Zelst in his GTP1. I'm not sure why, but he started at the very back of the pack. When the green dropped, he split the two cars right in front of him before even crossing start finish. By the end of the first lap, he had already passed 7 or 8 people. When the checker came out, he had worked all the way up to 11th (out of 30). Not bad for starting at the back!

Now on to my group (blue). I was not able to find a spare booster pump, but Dan the miracle man Jacobs was able to temporarily fix the issue. Unfortunately, the fix only seemed to last for a short while. Still, I figured I would drive until the system lost pressure, and then come in. The system lets you know well in advance of the pressure loss, so it wasn't really an issue to drive on it. So I did the warm up and all was fine. In the qualifying, I got 3 laps before it started beeping at me. Sure enough, the pump was scalding hot from the failing bearing. Still, I was able to put my car at the front of D, but the question of if I would make it thru the race remained.

So before the race, Dan repacked the bearing with grease, and we hoped it would last. I also iced the pump down in an attempt to keep it cooler, and hopefully have the grease stay in there longer. I also tried not to use the brakes unless I had to, opting for the handbrake in the pits and on the warm-up lap. I also stopped doing the "tap in go" in a few corners like the kink, and under the Billy Mitchell bridge

When the green flag dropped, I was actually able to get a decent start (rare for me) and pass a couple of cars. The first couple of laps were uneventful, as I tried to nurse my car home for the win. Wally Riuz was in 2nd behind me, with Jack Borys behind him. I just slowed it down and tried to keep a few seconds between me and them. I spent those first laps battling with Rod Johnson in his 993RS Clubsport. If you can get close enough, that car will open a serious hole in the air and give you a massive draft tow. Anyway, after about 3 laps, a GTC2 car spun in T1, and Jim Breakey did some serious off roading to avoid him. Jim was able to keep it going, but was slowed way down between T1 and T3. I took advantage of the situation, and managed to get past Jim. It would not last long. A couple of laps later, Jim was storming back up on me as we left T3. I moved over and got a nice tow up the middle straight. Well, one more lap later, and my brake pressure warning lamp came on again. As we were only on lap 7 of 12, I just pitted as I knew there was no way I would make it 5 more laps. I might have been able to nurse it for 2, but not 5. So again, I had to pit while in lead, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Wasn't really that bad as I didn't expect to make it the distance. I was just glad to be able to drive and have some decent battles during my short stint.

The top three in the blue sprint were Gary Boss (GT4R 2:23.5), Glenn Sapa (GT4S 2:25.3) and Claudio Kemp (GT4S 2:27.6). Jerry Green finished next (GTC1 2:30.007) followed by Charlie Boyer (GTC1 2:31.6). In B, Barry Brensinger took top honors (2:31.7). In C it was Jim Breakey (2:32.8), then Rod Johnson (2:34.6), and Michael Origer (2:32.8). After my exit from D, the final podium was Wally Riuz (2:35.4), Jack Borys (2:34.9) and Dan Matre (2:36.2). In E it was reg Turek (2:38.5), Cory Jump (2:38.1) and Bob Klaskin (2:39.4).

Well that all. I will definitely be back next year...with lots of spares .
Old 09-04-2006, 09:00 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Here are some more pics for everyone. PM me I have shots of most of the Club Racers, none really of the DE.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:16 PM
944TURBOS
Racer

man great weekend. I kept myself in DE and did not race but enjoyed every moment of it. I promised myself one season in the car to get aquiatned before I club race, so next year I am in!!! I wish there were more of you guys in B stock though because the entries will probably be low. Congrats to all the racers who did well and finished the races!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Road America + Dry Weather + Great Folks to Race With = Ridiculously Good Times

Colin offered a (strong) draft up the hill during the Enduro, but alas, my F-car couldn't stay in the wake very long. I'll take any help I can get

Mike in Chi (the head Turtle) was kind enough to drag me to a personal best lap time while chasing him in qualifying for the Sprint race. (Again, I'll take any help I can get!)

My thanks to all who participated for a great weekend of exciting and clean racing. A great Fun Race, Enduro, and Sprint race... what a BLAST!

Quick Reply: Road America Race Update