Sponsored by:

left foot braking in F1??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:24 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default left foot braking in F1??

DID anyone see the Turkish GP today? If the side by side of Schumi and Alonso's gas/brake graphic was accurate, it looked like they were LFB in the 2end gear S's. Did anyone else pick up on this.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most F1 drivers left foot brake, especially those who came up through carts. I remember several years ago, someone writing about who didn't left foot brake. I am so old, that I sometimes forget, but I believe that Rubens right foot brakes. And whoever that guy that took Damon Hill's place at Williams in '97. See, I can't remember very much. But, I don't believe there are very many. If I had that kind of transmission, I would too. I always left foot brake in an automatic car on the street.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
Old 08-27-2006, 09:38 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

It actually looked like Masa did not LFB much at all, whereas Schumi did it basically everywhere.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:08 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

They all do. It's why Zinardi had such a rough time. He was never a left foot braker.
One more lap and Schumi would have had second place. AS
Old 08-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

38D

Did Masa come up through carts?

Bill
Old 08-27-2006, 11:55 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Some of the cars are designed so you have to left foot brake. I'm sure I saw pictures of the Ferrari with a brace between the gas and brake whereas it was impossible to not left foot brake. Been a while since I've seen the pictures
Old 08-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Not everyone in F1 left foot brakes. I remember a few years ago there was a technical spot that the Jordan team did, they were starting a new driver (don't remeber who) midseason who didn't left foot brake and they were showing how they modified the pedals to fit his style of driving. Of course the carbon fiber pedals that they designed and built in a week looked like a work of art. Most drivers in F1 come up from karting so I bet the majority are left foot brakers. My only experience driving a formula car was our FSAE car back in college, I found it a lot easier to left foot brake because the footbox was pretty small and I have big feet.

I don't really trust those graphics that they show on Speed. In todays race they were in car with Barichello and it rarely showed full throttle, even when he was clearly driving flat out on a straight.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:06 AM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Schumi left foot brakes. There was a video clip somewhere on the internet showing his technique. Data recordings compared he and Johnny Herbert's entrance and exit speeds and steering input through a corner. Schumi faster by tenths. Multiply tenths by the number of appropriate corners on a track and you've got the difference in lap times.

Here it is. http://www.zippyvideos.com/890519224...sdrivingstyle/

If any current F1 driver doesn't use his left foot after seeing this, they're leaving some time on the table.

Sherwood
Old 08-28-2006, 07:08 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by 911pcars
If any current F1 driver doesn't use his left foot after seeing this, they're leaving some time on the table.
Have/do you drive F1? Unless you have, I am not sure any one of us can make sure a crazy statement. Just because it works for Schumi does not make it the end-all/be-all. I am sure that real F1 driver have enough data to make informed decisions about which technique is best for them.

Any, back on topic. Other than Hungary, that was the best race I watched this season. Some very close racing, actual passing, and some real differences in speed in different sections of the course.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:32 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the better racing was due to track design. It's a relatively long course with a couple of "suck-it-up" corners. It looked pretty wide, but not as stupidly wide as the airport course that Champ Car uses. AS
Old 08-28-2006, 08:51 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=911pcars]Schumi left foot brakes. There was a video clip somewhere on the internet showing his technique. Data recordings compared he and Johnny Herbert's entrance and exit speeds and steering input through a corner. Schumi faster by tenths. Multiply tenths by the number of appropriate corners on a track and you've got the difference in lap times.

Here it is. http://www.zippyvideos.com/890519224...sdrivingstyle/

Brilliant clip, thanks for that.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:05 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

I get the feeling that LTF braking is in the foot of the user in many cases. Some use it and use it well but others don't and produce the same outcome in the same corners. I think it is more a taste, you ether like it and use it or not. There are winning drivers that do and winning drivers that don't. I have not seen anything that would lead me to believe that LTF something that is definitively superior in use. Rally, Perhaps F1 and some types of cars such as Turbos might introduce exceptions. I be tthat most of the top racers can and do use it along with many other fine tune skills.

Last edited by kurt M; 08-28-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI, Barichello doesn't LFT (he tried few years ago but somehow couldn't adapt to it) and as far as I know, he's the only one who doesn't.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:17 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kurt M

I think the changing wet/dry track was the primary factor in this unusually fun to watch F1 race. The initiator in a cascading set of variables and reactions.
When I watched it was bone dry and 97 degrees, I think your talking about the previous GP. The Turkish GP had a lot of passing (by F1 standards) on a dry track. Maybe not as fun as Hungaroring was but best dry race I've seen in a while out of the circus called F1.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:34 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f1rocks
When I watched it was bone dry and 97 degrees, I think your talking about the previous GP. The Turkish GP had a lot of passing (by F1 standards) on a dry track. Maybe not as fun as Hungaroring was but best dry race I've seen in a while out of the circus called F1.
Ha! Too funny. Tevo and old age strike! I am real far behind in my TV real time. Will amend my stupid post. Am only 1/2 way through the most recent race. Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: left foot braking in F1??