Sponsored by:

Track Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Dakota
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Tire Recommendation

I am going to my first DT at BIR in September (2006 Carrera S X51 PCCB) and am in process of getting a second set of wheels/tires for track use. The recommendations I have received are 18's preferential over the 19's due to better 'bite' on the track, cost, and availability of tires at the track. My friend who is a mentor and veteran racer recommended BBS 18 inch rims and 225/R40 and 265/R35 tires. These tires seem a bit narrow compared to my stock 295's. Anyone have thoughts on this tire setup/size?
Old 08-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Dakota
Track Day

I forgot to add Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires..not sure on the 'N' rating.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

i think 225 and 265 is way too narrow for 997
on cayman i run 18" 245 and 275 width.
you may want to see if you can use 18" mpsc in gt3 sizes: 235 and 295. do some search, but i am pretty positive that 225 and 265 (especially the rear is way too narrow)
Old 08-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second the 235/295 combo, at least. I use 245/295 on my WB 993.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:48 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Dakota
Welcome to DE; its a great hobby.
Some of us think that newer DE drivers should run on their street tires for at least a few events; more predictable. At the speeds you will be (should be?) driving as you learn higher-performance driving, streets are fine.
Only downside is if you damage a tire and can't get home, but since you are considering track tires I am guessing you are trailering or have friends that are hauling the 2nd set for you?
Just another data point.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Rick has a good point. If this is your first time, I would consider starting on street tires. You can learn alot about proper slip angles, cornering, etc at a far lower limit and easier.

Matt
Old 08-16-2006, 09:50 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't get track tires to start. Stick with street tires for at least your first 6-10 events...
Old 08-16-2006, 11:36 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Don't get track tires to start. Stick with street tires for at least your first 6-10 events...
I was about to post the same thing. Best to learn the mechanics of driving fast and car control first. Street tires do have less traction than track tires or "R compounds", but that is exactly what you need for your "First DT". The traction of the street tires on your Porsche are plenty high, proabbly higher than what a novice can challenge. Plus, they "talk" to you so much better, and have a more gradual loss of traction at the limit. So, they'll let you know early when you are doing something wrong by gradually givng way with a lot of noise, and this will occur at sloer speeds where it is easier for the novice to respond. Track tires, OTOH, have more of a tendency to suddenly let go, and this will occur at a much higher speed.

Much safer and more educational to stay with street tires first several weekends at the track.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:57 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I follow the other opinions above in that you should start on street tires and look to move up after you develop your driver skill better. You need to do an event or 2 just to determine if you want to continue to do them. Once you have done a few events, have moved to at least being a Solo driver and have really worked up to understanding the limits of the car, look to making the investment for wheels, tires and brakes.

The best tire depends on the conditions. What is the climate and how much camber do you want to run? If it is hot, MPSC's are the most tolerant of heat. The downside is you need 1.5+ degrees negative camber or you will be running out the edges quickly. Corsas are less tolerant of heat, but don't need as much camber. With 18"s these are your best options. For 17"s, RA1's are a bargain but wil lack some of the grip of the other 2. For wheels, I would definitely recommend going down to 18"s over stock 19"s due to tire cost and weight. I run a set of 18x9.0"/18x11.0" 3-piece CCW classis race wheels with 235/40 and 295/30 sport cups. This is obviously a pretty big investment if you have never done it before, so be patient. When you are ready, start looking at your budget and what you want to accomplish.

FYI, I don't agree with the comments about track tires letting go suddenly. I have driven on Hoosiers, Ecsta V700's, RA1's (in my Miata), A032R's, Victoracers (in my Mustang), Corsas and MPSC's (in my 996). The least forgiving out of all these tires were the Ecsta V700's due to their rapid turn-in; but none of these tires just give away quickly at the limit if you are driving smoothly. If you haven't learned how to slow and smoothen your steering, gas and brake inputs (none of these are on/off switches); then I can see where there could be some problems. If you are smooth, none of these tires are scary at the limit. It is a lot easier to learn on street tires since you hit the limit a lot quicker.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 08-17-2006 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:28 AM
smankow
Pro

and let's not forget to add that you should also make sure to budget proper safety equipment, such as seats, harnesses, etc. Before you start adding "go fast" upgrades you should add safety.

Steve
2003 996
Old 08-17-2006, 02:06 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Dakota, your 997S X51 is a very fast and expensive beast. We all understand why you are tempted to buy a set of track wheels and tires.

Now is the time to look down the road and ask yourself if you really want to track such a nice car regularly and if you have the skills needed to keep from wadding it up at the higher speeds attainable with a good set of track tires. There is no hurry.

I drove my 996 in 6 DE's and quickly realized that the car was so fast that a small mistake could easily result in a very expensive crash and injury. I found a great 78 911SC to excercise on the track. There are many threads on this board discussing the various "affordable" track cars.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:28 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by smankow
and let's not forget to add that you should also make sure to budget proper safety equipment, such as seats, harnesses, etc. Before you start adding "go fast" upgrades you should add safety.

Steve
2003 996
Steve's must think alike. I've modded my 2000 Boxster S for 2 years now and all of the mods so far have been safety/learning/driving enhancement related with the exception of tires and wheels (235/295 MPSC's on Volk TE37's). If you get hooked on doing DE's, I would recommend the follwing (in order):

1) Brake pads/brake fluid
2) Helmet, balaclava and gloves
3) Seats and fire extinguisher
4) Harness and H&N restraint (do not get one without the other)
5) Roll bar/cage and SFI/FIA padding
6) Fire suit and shoes
7) Cool suit or shirt
8) Intercom
9) Battery cutoff switch
10) Data logger and camera
11) Wheels
12) Coilovers
13) R-compound tires
14) Steering wheel with quick disconnect
15) Short shift kit
16) Sway bar(s)
17) Lightweight battery, body pieces and exhaust
18) Go fast engine stuff

Steve aka Bro
Old 08-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sadly, I agree with Matt for once! Start with the street tires before moving to track tires. Your car is coming right out of the box ready to go! I have instructed in many 997's and they have all been on street tires.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Dakota, your 997S X51 is a very fast and expensive beast. We all understand why you are tempted to buy a set of track wheels and tires.

Now is the time to look down the road and ask yourself if you really want to track such a nice car regularly and if you have the skills needed to keep from wadding it up at the higher speeds attainable with a good set of track tires. There is no hurry.

I drove my 996 in 6 DE's and quickly realized that the car was so fast that a small mistake could easily result in a very expensive crash and injury. I found a great 78 911SC to excercise on the track. There are many threads on this board discussing the various "affordable" track cars.
I could have written that post substituting an 05 997S for the 996 reference! I rode in a set up 3.2 Carerra that first day and decided I liked the raw feeling. With American Collector's leaving the DE insurance biz in 07 it's going to get darn expensive to insure a big dollar car on the track now (Laurel, by the event?). I say take the car as-is to your 1st event or two, then give thought to your DE future plans.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:38 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

i have a 997s and do track it often. go with street tires and if you decide to continue doind de events consider getting a more agressive alignmet before you consider cup tires. have fun and be safe.

Quick Reply: Track Tire Recommendation