Tire exploding at Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 01:15 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Tire exploding at Daytona

I watched this video and I'm astounded! Its amazing that he did not crash on anything but most amazing is that the windshield blew out! How can this happen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7-SD...elated&search=
Old 08-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It looks like the windscreen blew out when the car went sideways from air rushing in the cockpit. You have to wonder if there is any guidance given by PCA for the Daytona club race on tires and camber settings. Loading is much different than on a standard track and might get interesting for some guys who are running Yoko tires meant for the front of sports racers and not the rear of a heavy 911 (GTC-1 guys for instance). Those particular tires say DO NOT RUN on the rear of a 911 but many do.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 984 Likes on 590 Posts

Holy #$&**! I would definatly have stained my boxers. I have no experience on the banking there, but it's amazing it almost went airborn. The airbag cover came off too.

Matt
Old 08-14-2006, 05:02 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to wonder if there is any guidance given by PCA for the Daytona club race on tires and camber settings.
You would think. I know we have Daytona specific alignment settings & rear tires on the late cups.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:37 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience, you are all right -

I can tell you the camber settings were also quite different on my Can-AM, GTP, and Trans-Am car.

Alignment is critical to change for and monitor at Daytona.

Even after you change it, tire temps should be taken at Daytona.

Spools are not a good idea at Daytona either.

If I remember correctly, it was Larry Schumacher that ran a spool one year in his GT3RS and was extremely fast except he blew about 4 tires and then packed up and left...

Glad I removed my spool :-)

Norm
Old 08-14-2006, 08:31 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Loading is much different than on a standard track and might get interesting for some guys who are running Yoko tires meant for the front of sports racers and not the rear of a heavy 911 (GTC-1 guys for instance). Those particular tires say DO NOT RUN on the rear of a 911 but many do.
Any thoughts on the Dunlops, Geoffrey? That seems to be what us GTC1 guys are running now...
Old 08-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looked like he hit the wall to me, and that may have influenced the windscreen.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:47 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would bet that the windows were open and once the car turned around the airflow against the inside of the windshield, likely at 150+, blew it right out.
It reminds me of an enduro I was in at Summit Point last spring. A Spec Miata (with a hardtop and rear window) hit a dear and broke the windshield. They cleaned up the glass and continued with no windshield at all. Within 2 laps the rear blew right out as well. And that car isn't that fast. After that it was all face shields.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you'd need to talk to Dunlop about their tires, I don't know. I know there are some issues with loading on small profile tires such as a 650 compared to a 680 tire which allows for higher loading. These are things that need to be looked into for running at Daytona in addition to working with someone who has experience with car setup for the track.

Quick Reply: Tire exploding at Daytona