Sponsored by:

What happened to these Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to these Pads?

What happened to these Pads? They have about 8 or so DEs. They are mintex pads. Both sides look about the same. (They are fronts) Normally when I pull the pads they are somewhat smooth and shiny, these exhibit only small areas of that. The car did not pull to on side or the other...it did not seem to stop that great either..very inconsistent. Eg. Great going into the carousel at Blackhawk, not that great anywhere else especially turn 1. Mediocre at the Autobahn except for turn 1 where they were awesome...meaning I new they were going to be there and I could use them hard. BTW even pad wear both inboard/outboard and side to side. To hot, not hot enough, bedded in wrong? Thoughts?

Old 08-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like improper bedding to me. Maybe you overheated them before they were bedded in, and that created hot spots where the resins baked and hardened. Those shiny patches are probably a lot harder than the rest of the brake pad material. Continued use causes those patches to get even harder as the pad continues to overheat those spots. Most likely they are ruined, but since there appears to be plenty of pad left you could try to cut the surface down a bit with a belt sander and re-bed them (wear a mask when sanding!).
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:38 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

What's the texture? Are they crumbly or falling apart? Are they still well attached to the backing plate?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:29 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They look glazed but i note that they also look kinda rough surfaced in too.

For the glazing, re-bed after removing some of the surface. Use a wood rasp, masons block or belt sander with an 80 grit belt to knock a thin layer off. The belt sander will remove the material easily so go easy. If stuck at the track with glazed pads a patch of cement works too.
Do a search on pad bedding and print out the directions. There are easy and safe ways to properly bed and prep pads.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:06 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...

They don't look THAT abnormal. I'd also scuff them a bit and rebed them properly. Take this link http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/te...e_papers.shtml to learn most everything you'll ever need to know about brakes.

I'd also not expect much from a Mintex, especially if it is an OE replacement pad. They really don't work very well for track. Make sure you are braking with good technique, and then get some real performance pads and be done with it!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the look-see. These have been the most-inconsistent pads I've ever used, and was not sure if it were me or just a bad set. I am not sure if they are crumbly or not..but I'll check when I get home, but that is a great point. I have not had this particular car that long, so I thought I would stay with these for a bit, but could not take their bad behavior anymore so I took these out and replaced them with Hawks. In the past I have used Pagids. Thank you again for taking the time to help me out.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Blackhawk is pretty hard on brakes, as is Road America (since your from Chicago, I assume you drive RA also). I think you made the right decision going with a more dedicated track pad (hawk blues?); throw those mintex pads away.

I dont think Pagid makes Oranges or Blacks for the 944 N/A & S calipers, but I could be wrong - at least they did not have them 3-4 years ago when I was still racing my 944S.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Oddjob,
exactly..kida hard to find pars for a NA 944S. There have been some good suggestions on the list, but I'd thought i would try these. They are blacks.

Quick Reply: What happened to these Pads?