Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toy hauler used as a garage/car transporter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 02:54 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toy hauler used as a garage/car transporter?

Well, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy some land. In the interest of saving some coin on rent before I build a house I'm thinking about getting a travel trailer and parking it on the property. What intrigues me is the concept of a toy hauler like this Raptor Toy Hauler possibly used as a car garage and transport for track days. Does anyone here know if this type and size of toy hauler (not necessarily this manufacturer) would be capable of accomodating a 3000 lb Boxster?

Thanks,
Bro
Old 07-31-2006, 08:19 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Bro-
I lookead at some last year when i was getting something for my track car and a couple of things soured the deal for me.
1. I could not find one with a "toy" space big enough for my car.
2. the appraoch angles of the ramp are too steep for a lowered car, even with additional ramps.
3. you would have to have a 1 ton duelly pick up to move it.

Ended up getting a 24' Millenium trailer instead.

Let us know if you find one that doesn't have those issues as they are constantly comming out with new models.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The largest "garage" they show is 14' long. don't know about a Boxster, but a 993 is 14' long. They show 4,000lbs of carrying capacity, which I'm sure includes everything you put in it, garage and living space. Not enough.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:50 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too small and not enough capacity. If you want a garage and living quarters, check out Millenium trailers. www.milltrailer.com I know they have a blow out on a couple of 40' fifth wheels with living quarters right now.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:59 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

You can also check on www.racingjunk.com for used trailers with living quarters. The price ranges are all over the board there.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

A fellow lister - NetManiac has a toy hauler that he moves is Boxster around in.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:27 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was watching extreme 4x4 this weekend and they were building a ultimate goosneck trailer using master plans trailer plans with a pop-up camper. Basically they were trying to replicate a FleetwoodRV Scorpion pop-up to support a 4x4. However they were able to pull some strings and source the pop-up pod insetad of buying the full trailer. for the rest of us, it looks like the pop-up trailer is for ATV's and motorcycles not cars. maybe a little pressure would change there mind. Or atleast be able to buy the pop-up standalone.

http://www.fleetwoodrv.com/scorpion/
http://www.trailerplans.org/

Jim
Old 07-31-2006, 04:15 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

here's what I was talking about. No affiliation, I was just thinking about looking at it.

http://www.racingjunk.com/post/68021...pe-lounge.html
Old 08-02-2006, 01:23 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Thanks folks,
I've been looking at the websites you've suggested and some others. I'm going to be calling a few of the manufacturers later this week to see if what I had in mind is possible.

Bro
Old 08-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

I think the whole concept is cool as heck. I pull a 22 foot Pace with an F250, and get 8 MPG. I could recoup a few bucks by living in the hauler. A friend uses a 24' enclosed to camp, he has an AC, heater, and shower, which rarely works. It is just one step above a fridge box under an interstate overpass. That toy hauler looks really good.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
Old 08-02-2006, 09:33 PM
bruinbro
Pro

I don't know the various manufacturers yet, but I called Keystone and talked about my concept using their toy haulers. They said that they would recommend the 3814SS which is a 38 ft rig with a 14 ft garage so the car mass would be as close to the axles as possible. The unit has a 4055 lb capacity, which would leave me with 1055 lbs of personal stuff (clothes, books, food, computer, general crap). BTW, the Boxster weighs exaclty 3000 lb with 3/4 tank of gas and all of the spare tire/tool stuff (measured). Got to think about the total weight thing a bit. They also said the tailgate is good for 2500 lbs, 1000 lb per wheel, so my Boxster would void the tailgate warranty. The guy I was talking with said he knew of some people that put Jeep Wranglers in them, so the Porsche probably wouldn't be a problem, it's just that it would overload the spec value of the tailgate. I think I would probably have to rig some other ramp system up anyway to get the front and rear clearance.

Anyway, I'm going to dig more into the various manufacturers and can always use more help. Thanks to all that have provided info so far.

Bro
Old 08-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Robert W. Bausum Jr.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I saw this and thought it might be of interest.
Large Toy Hauler

one more...
Nice Gooseneck from RacingJunk

Last edited by Robert W. Bausum Jr.; 08-04-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:38 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

I saw your message on the Boxster Racing board before here, so I'll just paste that reply here for other fellow listers.

Originally Posted by MikeD
I've got an '06 Weekend Warrior SLC3905. I think they have a 34' or 35' that would also do the trick. It takes a little work to get the car in and out. But it's doable. I have a #3K winch under the stairs up front so I just winch the car in and out. Wouldn't want to try and drive it in and out. Spend the $500 (or whatever it is) on the winch, it's worth it.

I did a LOT of research before settling on the WW. There are a lot of toy haulers out there. But WW offers the most garage space with the highest load capacity. Which is why I settled on WW. Also, pay close attention to the trailer weight. I was almost signing on a similar trailer with fiberglass sides before I realized I would have been over my limit. The FG adds something like #1500 to the trailer weight, and with my #3K car, would have been over weight before even throwing in tires and other gear.

Also, the trailer weighs #15K loaded and ready to go. The F-350's towing capacity is #16K. Not a lot of safety margin. For that reason I opted for the F-450. Although, I am really not impressed with the truck. Consider a 4500 (Chev or GMC). Or better yet Freightliner has a Sport Chassis. It's twice as much as a 450, but it's considered an RV so you can finance it for 15 years. Probably put your payments lower than a 450, even close to a 350.

Toyhaulers can work. But if you are just using it for racing and want to stay at the track, consider a race trailer with living quarters.

http://www.dealsonwheels.com/search/...-200607-000047

Anyway, I'm sure there's more info in this head, feel free to ask questions.
Eddie is right. The angles make it diffifcult to get a lowered car in and out. I've got some 2x6's that I lay down to make the approach angle work. I then get the car on the ramp and jack the ramp up with my floor jack to get the car to clear the break-over angle. It is some work, but with patience it all works out.

Also, on the occassion where I can load the car without having the trailer attached to the pickup, I can run the front legs all the way out. This lifts the front of the trailer way high in the air and gives me the angles I need to winch the car straight in.

I have not weighed the trailer when it was loaded ready for the track. But if my match is correct I am right at my max (holding tanks empty) of #15K.

HTH
Old 08-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That racingjunk website is gonna get me in a heap of trouble with the Mrs....

Man it would be cool to play with a Lola 340 Forumla Ford.... only $10k.

And all the trailers, RV's -- my oh my!

Thanks for the link!
-Z
Old 08-04-2006, 10:45 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also, you didn't mention living in it on the BRB. Since that appears to be the case, at least for a short time. I've been living in mine for a little over a year. It's pretty decent. I do not have property for it and have been staying in RV parks and the like. The '39 lenght makes it REAL difficult to find places to stay. The '35 would have been enough room AND I would be able to park it in more locations. Seems the cut-off is '36. But anyway...

Also, think about a toterhome. Haulmark and Renegade make toterhomes that would be a good option. Since you will not have to worry about parking. This may be a good way to go.

Well, I've got to go might have more later...

Quick Reply: Toy hauler used as a garage/car transporter?