Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen Club Race 2006 Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 05:22 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys - I was (as always) enthralled by the Clash yet again. Glad everyone made it through OK - the wreckers / EMS vehicles flying past our vantage on the back straight during Group 4 had me worried.

I'm cross-posting here (also mentioned this in Mike's (MPD47) thread of photo requests. I snapped a few shots while down hanging out Saturday:

http://www.dmoffitt.net/images/clash2006/index.html

64 total, a few sample shots below:

Old 06-12-2006, 08:38 AM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a great time there Saturday teching some of the cars, well pushing them onto the scales anyway. I even got to meet a few of you. Hope everyone had a good time, that's what its about anyway, right?

Take car all. In case you missed me I was the yound guy working the scales on Saturday.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:16 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey David ... Hope all is well. Great pictures!!!
Andy
Old 06-12-2006, 09:24 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Here's the last two laps of the group 2 sprint, and battle that Mike, Bill & I had going.

D class sprint - last 1.5 laps (15MB). You can see my 2nd the 5th upshift where Bill blows by me .
Old 06-12-2006, 09:57 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bill walczak
The ice car did all the right things. Ran and handled like a dream. When you blow a tire, hit oil or have someone else cause you to crash you are pissed. I was a lap and a half from the checker, 3rd in GTA (Keen and Cory F, OK a distant 3rd) all alone I turned early into 9 and dropped a wheel launched across the track. I was being very careful most of the race but for some reason I really wanted to catch John Ellis GT1R before the end. So, at least the crash was self inflicted and did not take out anyone else. Just a dumb driver error.

Preliminary reports are the car is fixable. Hard glance off the left front. Hopefully the cage tied to the suspension points saved her.

I had two goals for the sprint. Don't wreck and turn a faster race lap than Chris Brown. Only reached one....
ice car 2:00:196
banana car 2:00:198
Bill... sorry to hear about the incident.... hope to see you back in form again soon.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:20 AM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

David thanks for the pics great shots. I met Mike also, real nice guy, thanks for coming out that was real nice of you both.

Colin, I thought you won the D sprint.. Nice laps, looked like you got brake checked going into the laces, thought you were gonna get a run on him down there. You came out of the carosell with a vengence.

I qualified almost last, ran an all time best of an 09, the car has atleast an 06 in it now. Rick Deman completely made my motor come alive. Im gonna need some serious seat time to learn how you use all this new power now. Cannot wait to get some confidence in it now and drive it as it should be. Rick you truly are De Man in my eyes.

I ll post video tonite, being I started 40th, I got in like 14 real good passes, and moved up to 20th. Had a Blast!!! A nice switch after I got sodomized at LRP. That is a track I really need serious help with.

Thanks to ALL the Volunteers. Could not have done it without them.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

Default quick weekend report from GT1 land

Had an "interesting" weekend between weather and mechanical issues. First run in damp discovered handling problem and stuck waste gate. Fixed waste gate and made adjustment. Next damp session handling was worse! Found out my tuners alignment machine had taken a power surge and car was REALLY out of whack. 5/8 toe in front and toe out on LR. Was a little scary!
I was sharing a garage with Norm Goldrich and showing what a first class guy he is he dug out his string kit and helped me get the car reset. Sportsmanship at its best! Thus first true session was Qualifying where I had to start at the back. Just getting warmed up and a fellow in a yellow car put it in the wall right in front of me coming out of toe the double yellow and end of session on lap 5. Started 12th in sprint and I got up to around 5th at the yellow. Got a good restart and I think I was up to 2nd when I had a pretty major motor failure. I hear the flames were pretty wild. C. Loles said he had some video. Man, Leah Keen sure caught me in a hurry, very impressive run from the rear!
Norm was chasing setup as this was his first weekend since RA crash and rebuild. I was happy to hear from him he got car sorted better for Enduro and was running real strong 1:54’s until he had a transmission failure.
All in all not many high points, what with weather and lots of rennlisters having various problems!!
Old 06-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993944S2
Larry was smokin fast in the enduro but broke something in the engine. I talked to him in the pits and he did not seem to worried. I don't think it was a major break.
The motor just went flat going up the esses in the 65th minute of the enduro. No bad noises or anything. Seems to idle ok and no oil leaks or smoke. Still has full oil pressure. I am hoping that it is either a broken rocker arm or maybe a failed distributer belt. I'll find out next week when I have a chance to pull it apart.

It was great seeing all my racing friends again, and placing faces to the names of all the Rennlisters out there.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:50 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I still love the track but...

Friday was not good but for the fact I got in some serious rain practice during the fun race. That was needed and I was pretty comfortable by the end of the race. There were only about 8 cars out during this session.

I qualified well for me. In position 17 overall and 7th in class. Was really looking forward to the race as I was feeling very comfortable on the whole track. The group before our feature had some fluid issues and there was quick dry everywhere. On the second lap of the race, I drove past a car going into the bus stop. This put me off line a bit but with the speed scrubbed, no problem getting the left turn established and accelerate into the carousel. In playing back the video, I'm looking left for the turn and as I turn, the car goes over a line of quick dry with both right tires. The back end comes around with me stopping in the middle of the track out. The video shows me stop then an instant later, the red bull car (with no where to go) collects my right front bumper. Track debris with no debris flag is no excuse for PCA...13 months of probation for me. Crud. I feel bad also for Ray Willams and he did me a huge favor by not T-Boning me. Car is fixable, no one was hurt physically and I hope to be back at the Daytona Club Race.

Do any of you share the same feelings when having to watch a race going on the you should be in? Disappointment, anger, jealousy, guilt, melancholy...

Anyone who hasn't gone to the Glen is missing a really beautiful weekend. The setting is spectacular. Usually the weather is better. I was calling home and telling them I was bundled up with the temperature at 48 while they were sweltering at 98 degrees.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:51 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to meet a bunch of you too. I'm almost done sorting through the pics, they should be up around lunch time or sometime thereafter. Rich, I came back to chat with you guys sunday, but you were already gone. I even changed cars up and drove my 951 down.

Odd that so many lister's had carnage this year. I personally thought the race had significantly less carnage and big "OOPS" moments than last year. But what do I know, I'm just a spectator
Old 06-12-2006, 11:55 AM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
The motor just went flat going up the esses in the 65th minute of the enduro. No bad noises or anything. Seems to idle ok and no oil leaks or smoke. Still has full oil pressure. I am hoping that it is either a broken rocker arm or maybe a failed distributer belt. I'll find out next week when I have a chance to pull it apart.

It was great seeing all my racing friends again, and placing faces to the names of all the Rennlisters out there.
Larry... how'd the sprint race go?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:13 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Mike.. Your 944 was parked next to our "camp".. I was checking out the wing on the back.. It is cool...

Don
Old 06-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Larry... how'd the sprint race go?
John, the sprint race was awesome. Without much practice, I felt fairly comfortable, and posted fasted qualifying time for C on a green track. I gridded 16th for the race. The Sprint start was wild, with lots of cars going all over the track, and a bunch of us going 3 abreast into the 90. It was still side by side up through the esses, and I was able to muscle a little room into the bus stop. The rest of the race unfolded with me playing around with Barry Brensinger in one of the GT3s (B class) and driving as hard as I could to keep a yellow 996 from catching up to me. I thought that it was a C car, but it turned out to be Raphael Llopiz in the other GT3. Anyway, it was good for the class win and I posted a 2:09.7 in the process. Not bad for a little RSA.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Mac, that was a bummer seeing your car on the flatbed. Best of luck in getting it back to the track soon.

Larry Herman was awesome in C. Good to see a 964 upfront. It was also a blast watching the 964 cup cars at the start.

What really surprised me was how quite the cup cars were on the track compared to the E, F, G, classes. Leh Keen was so smooth through the inner loop. It almost looked like a slot car going around the turns.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"Do any of you share the same feelings when having to watch a race going on the you should be in? Disappointment, anger, jealousy, guilt, melancholy..."

It certainly is frustrating when you cannot do the things you enjoy doing, however, I always consider it a privelage to be able to do this at all so that helps some and feel fortunate to be me.

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Club Race 2006 Update