Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPSC vs. A048 vs. RA1 vs. Corsa vs. ??? (hoosier/V710/Escta v700)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 12:35 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPSC vs. A048 vs. RA1 vs. Corsa vs. ??? (hoosier/V710/Escta v700)?

So I don't like how picky the MPSCs are with getting the right heat in them and I don't like that I can't drive to the track on the hoosiers, V710s and heard the Escta Kuhmo's in 18s get way to greasy too fast on RWD 993s so I want to say away from them and victorracer's are only available on 17s (which I don't run or own)

...so I'm leaning MORE towards the A048 if I go with an R compound vs. a street tire.

The reason I'm leaning toward the A048 is because:

a) it has deep tread so it can go in rain if needed as well as survive a 300+ road trip to the track (chicago to mid-ohio) even if it rains and even after 3 DE days will still have tread left (unlike the RA1s which will only show 2 lines after the end of 3 DE days)

b) They are available in proper 225/285 sizes that I need for my NA 993

c) I've read some very positive reports on them being good in a wide range of temps (not needing the picky 180hot that MPSCs need)

..anyone care to talk me out of them for some reason?

(*I'm still not sure if I want to go dedicated R compounds or street tire next but if I DO go R compound, this is where I'm leaning)

BTW: I LOVED the DSSRs so that is my base tire right now (used all last track season for 20+ DE days)
Old 06-06-2006, 12:55 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have already wear is minor with MPSC on the street. I have seen they take about 2 laps to heat up on the track. The only disadvantages are they need a lot of camber to work right and don't drive on them in the wet. I am upgrading to GT3 control arms to get more camber out of the front to utilize these tires better. They are not recommended to be run with less than 1 degree of negative camber and are recommended to use at least 1.5 degrees which means adding some form of camber adjustment to the front. I had them on the car for a week and drove them in the rain. The car woudl hydroplane on puddles going only 30 mph. They are not meant for anything other than the dry.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:04 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Frankly I loved my MPSC when I had my 993. One point. Your size difference between front and rear is to large. If you are running 285 in the rear you need to go to 245 in the front. How about getting a small trailer and pulling your stuff to the track. That is what I did. There is a good hitch for the 993. It works perfectly.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:25 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm thinking of going back down to 265 rears with 235 fronts (245 fronts rub very badly and I don't like using spacers --- personal thing)

235 fronts might rub too so I'm taking a risk there (Heck, I even have 225s rub sometimes.

I have -3.3 front and -2.6 rear at the moment for my camber.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:53 AM
tdf360
Pro

If you can get RA-1s in your sizes, that (IMO) is the best tire available for dual street/track use.

Gary
Old 06-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got done wearing out a set of Corsas that i bought when TR had a big sale last year. I found them to be very close in performance to the MPSCs for me, yet not as intolerant of a wider range of pressure and temp as the MPSCs. They lasted a long time, heat cycling out before the tread was gone, after 40+ heat cycles. I like them in 235/285. The Corsas do well on the street also, and I use them as my street tires and back-up track tires....until my "new" wheels arrive!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:34 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hmmmm.. the Corsa's seem an interesting idea.. hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 06-06-2006, 04:09 PM
mdbickell
Instructor

I'm a fan of the RA1's. I've run the A048's and the MPSC's and neither of these had the grip or lasted as long as the RA1's. For my last event, I couldn't find the toyos in time so I went to the yokos which ended up exhibiting much less grip. I've driven all three of these types of tires approx 100 miles to the track and they all do fine on the street. Warning, the MPSC's did need some warm up time on the street, but the other two did not.

Have you considered getting a 2nd set of wheels and bringing them to the track on the roof? If I can't find someone to bring my wheels to the track for me, I put them on a roof rack. So far, no problems.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:33 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

I am surprised your tires are rubbing in the front. I run 3deg front 650lb spring and 245s Hoosiers, 235 MPSCs with only a little rub from the 245s on tight cambered tracks, aka carousel at Summit. I have adapted to heating up MPSCs and getting the pressures right. 993 really likes the bigger tires up front as it allows more rotation and oversteer when desired. I think for street the other suggestions are most likely better. A cold Michelin is no fun ( I need to post some video which shows just how bad they are in 40deg wet weather at Pocono last month.).
Old 06-06-2006, 04:54 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yup yup.. I think we can all agree that a COLD MPSC is downright DANGEROUS
Old 06-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ceboyd
yup yup.. I think we can all agree that a COLD MPSC is downright DANGEROUS
I like to think of them as "Entertaining" when cold. Two warm up laps, then go chase down all of those who past on those laps.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:02 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by ceboyd
I think we can all agree that a COLD MPSC is downright DANGEROUS
I disagree. I have driven my MPSCs from 30F to over 100F. I've even driven them at ~40F in the wet. When it is cold outside, you just need to take your time and warm up the tire, which might take 2-4 laps the first session of the day. Even in the wet, they are ok once they have some heat in them (not as good a RA-1, but a lot better than Hoosiers). But after they are warm, they are absolutely fine. Now, in order to heat them up you do need to drive reasonably fast, and having a resonably heavy car (mine is 3000lbs) helps too.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:22 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

well, then either my car isn't heavy enough... or I'm not driving fast enough.. lol

..but I could get a 1:36 on DSSRs yet couldn't get better than 1:39 on the MPSCs at Gingerman this past weekend at a DE .....and 3 others cursed their MPSCs the same day!!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:56 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

On my ~2700lb car, the MPSC is not much faster than a street tire on a cold day (2-3 degrees C), but I don't think I'd call them dangerous. They just don't grip without the heat, so you have to drive them accordingly.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:34 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's another data point to help offset the anti-MPSC sentiment. Like 38D, I've driven on the MPSCs from 30F to over 100F on two different cars, a ~3000# Boxster S and a ~3300# Turbo 3.6. In all cases and conditions I didn't find them "dangerous". I have also driven on them in the rain and found they required similar respect to any other R compound in the wet. I have also found the MPSCs to be competitive, winning C class at the Glen Clash PCA race last year, besting a field of cars on Hoosiers. Actually, I podium'd in every Sprint on MPSCs...

As for DSSRs, I think they are a good beginners R compound. They simply aren't as fast as a MPSC or Hoosier. They are perhaps easier to setup the car for, which makes them appealing for those not too concerned with alignments and tire pressures. I thought of them as being a sticky street tire.

To add-on to the "wetability" of the MPSC, here is 38D (er, 138D in this picture) at the Lime Rock club race last year, where I think he took third in the rain on MPSCs...

Quick Reply: MPSC vs. A048 vs. RA1 vs. Corsa vs. ??? (hoosier/V710/Escta v700)?